Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2019, 09:26 PM   #1

I have a 2018 Georgetown XL

Our Rig won’t start. We just took it it for it’s one year inspection all was well. The battery is charged. Not sure what to try next. We have used an external starter unit which did not work. Have contacted Ford but no suggestions yet. Any ideas on what I can try?

Thank you
Old 03-16-2019, 11:11 PM   #2

What is happening when you turn the key? Does the engine turn over? Does it just click? No click and dash lights go off?

Have you pushed the momentary switch that connects your house batteries to your chassis batteries? Mine is on the driver's seat, low by the door on my class C. Your class A likely has it on the dash somewhere.
Goatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:14 PM   #3

Nothing seems to happen. No effect when the battery boost is used. Also used jumper cables no effect.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryhcarter View Post
Nothing seems to happen. No effect when the battery boost is used. Also used jumper cables no effect.
Goatdog is asking some pertinent questions. Do you hear a click...do the dash lights dim when you try to start? Important for moving forward to solve your problem.

Nothing happens? Meaning no click...no dim?

Had this once with my 1997 Bounder. Shade tree mechanic used a screwdriver and jumped the starter heavy duty cable to the starter solenoid lug with the key on and it started. On a 2018 this has to be something relatively simple.

Based on what you have written, battery voltage isn't your problem.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:05 PM   #5
Retired Ford Tech

Gt no start

Try starting it in NEUTRAL instead of PARK. I assume you have dash lights and everything else is normal.
rvpezzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:12 PM   #6

When trying to start in neutral, make sure your foot is on the brake. This is not to keep it from rolling, it is part of the Ford work-around when particular ignition system fuses are blown.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:15 PM   #7

Thanks I will try starting in neutral. We replaced the battery but of course that did nothing. Really appreciate the inputs. Many thanks.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpezzano View Post
Try starting it in NEUTRAL instead of PARK. I assume you have dash lights and everything else is normal.

Yes everything is normal.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:11 PM   #9

Update managed to get it started and drove to the dealership. Of course I turned off the motor when we arrived making it not movable because it won’t start. After investigation they found several wire harnesses that appeared to because of mice. Also the mounting bolt for the starter was stripped. I am supposed to pick it up tomorrow. Thanks for all the help

Tags
georgetown