Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2019, 02:59 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,954
I have decided to replace all 4 shocks myself

With 65,000 miles I have decided to replace all 4 shocks on my 2012 Georgetown XL 378TS.
This is the one with the longest wheel base of 242" wheel to wheel.
I have not said that my present shocks have failed but for a few dollars I can do the work myself and it then last a while long and not have to wait.
OK I just have time and my hands before my 2019 USA Tour.

I did find the best price on all4shocks from Summit Racing online.
Front shocks (new P/N 24-234511) are Bilstein HD B6 shocks $91.97 each
Rear shocks (new P/N 24-234528) are Bilstein HD B6 shocks $$85.90 each

Total is $355.74 with free shipping and no tax.

I figures it would take me a few hours to install and after 65,000 miles it should have some noticeable difference.

I will keep you posted when they arrive and how the install goes.
I feel confident I can do it without removing any tires and have the appropriate tools to install.

I watched a few YouTube video from others who have replaced them with little to no problem.

I have a friend who got the same shocks installed and it cost him almost $2,000. Wow did he get ripped off.

See you soon.
__________________

__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 66K + miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:39 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 310
I replaced all four of mine with Koni FSD shocks. Getting the shocks off was the hardest part because the nuts were super tight on the rears. I used a long breaker bar and a small hydraulic jack to apply pressure to the breaker bar to bust them loose. My big impact wrench wouldn’t budge them. I did all four without removing any tires. Plenty of room under the Motorhome once you get in there. My original Bilistines only had about 5000 miles on them but I wanted the Koni Shocks and I can tell a difference in the ride but they are pricey. I kept the Bilistines, May see if anyone wants them.
__________________

__________________
Georgetown XL 377TS
USAF-- CMSGT Retired.
georgew48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,954
Some interesting facts about the Bilstein and the Koni Shocks.
Both are Mono shocks
Both have I believe 49mm pistons

FRONT
Both brands front shock have a Koni 28.82" and Bilstein 28.84" extended length
Both brands fronts shocks have a Koni 17.48" and Bilstein 17.64" collapsed length
Koni has 11.34 movement
Bilstein has 11.2" movement

REAR
Both brands rear shock have a Koni 25.28" and Bilstein 25.09" extended length
Both brands rear shocks have a Koni 15.67" and Bilstein 15.66" collapsed length
Koni has 9.6" movement
Bilstein has 9.43" movement

So in reality they are very close to each other externally and internally
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 66K + miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:59 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 310
Iggy, the reason I wanted to try the Koni shocks was because of their claim.Frequency Selective Damper (FSD) for select motorhomes. This new shock has a special valve that filters out vibrations before they get into the coach. This new technology will give you a smooth ride over expansion joints while controlling pitching and swaying. I found that they did smooth out the vibrations and smooth out the expansion joints as well as patches over pot holes that you find on most interstates. I noticed a big difference in these areas others may not get the same results. Both are excellent shocks I just like the FSD of the Koni.
__________________
Georgetown XL 377TS
USAF-- CMSGT Retired.
georgew48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:44 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Amarillo/Tx
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgew48 View Post
Iggy, the reason I wanted to try the Koni shocks was because of their claim.Frequency Selective Damper (FSD) for select motorhomes. This new shock has a special valve that filters out vibrations before they get into the coach. This new technology will give you a smooth ride over expansion joints while controlling pitching and swaying. I found that they did smooth out the vibrations and smooth out the expansion joints as well as patches over pot holes that you find on most interstates. I noticed a big difference in these areas others may not get the same results. Both are excellent shocks I just like the FSD of the Koni.
As I understand, the Bilsteins are gas. So there is that difference.
__________________
2017 Georgetown 329S


Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:49 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 310
That is true.
__________________
Georgetown XL 377TS
USAF-- CMSGT Retired.
georgew48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:28 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
With 65,000 miles I have decided to replace all 4 shocks on my 2012 Georgetown XL 378TS.
This is the one with the longest wheel base of 242" wheel to wheel.
I have not said that my present shocks have failed but for a few dollars I can do the work myself and it then last a while long and not have to wait.
OK I just have time and my hands before my 2019 USA Tour.

I did find the best price on all4shocks from Summit Racing online.
Front shocks (new P/N 24-234511) are Bilstein HD B6 shocks $91.97 each
Rear shocks (new P/N 24-234528) are Bilstein HD B6 shocks $$85.90 each

Total is $355.74 with free shipping and no tax.

I figures it would take me a few hours to install and after 65,000 miles it should have some noticeable difference.

I will keep you posted when they arrive and how the install goes.
I feel confident I can do it without removing any tires and have the appropriate tools to install.

I watched a few YouTube video from others who have replaced them with little to no problem.

I have a friend who got the same shocks installed and it cost him almost $2,000. Wow did he get ripped off.

See you soon.

You might want to add a large contingency to your time estimate. Allow time for frozen nuts (on the shocks of course ), crossed threads, etc.

To make things go much easier spray some good penetrating oil on the mounting hardware the day before you plan on doing the job and let it soak into the threads. Can make a big difference in how hard the job ends up.
__________________
Sami. my Shih-Tsu "Co-Pilot" R.I.P
Politically Incorrect since 1943
"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:59 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonz View Post
As I understand, the Bilsteins are gas. So there is that difference.
They both use gas and oil just in a different design.
They both have been building shocks a long time.
Iggy
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 66K + miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:08 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,954
All Done

The shocks arrived at 1PM today so being we are still in a cool spell in Arizona I decided to get my Georgetown from storage and install the shocks while in front of my house.

It took me about 3 hours to do all 4 and the biggest setback was at the start when I didn't have a 1 1/8" socket.
Ran to Home Depot and bought a 4 socket 1/2" drive set for $20. Anyway I'm ready for any thing now.

I sprayed all the bolts for a few minutes and they all broke free without any really hard work. I did have a breaker bar (pipe) that was handy.

Rears went on first and I lowered my leveler for extra room.
I must say they surely make it hard to get to all the top bolts all around.
Bottom bolts easy access.

Now the fronts I had to use a small jack to push the shocks up about 3" to get the bottom bolt in.
I use my car jack and was easy.
Driving it back to storage I really didn't notice much as the speed was lows and the roads good.
I did hear the tires and the cracks in the road but really didn't feel it on my butt while driving.
I think the front shock were feeling soft and I think they really needed replacing the rears are a bit firmer and still may have some life left in them.

I will keep them for a few then throw them away.
Sorry no pictures as it was extremely boring under the rig.

Iggy
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 66K + miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:54 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
camaraderie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,195
Nice to know "anyone" can do it!


Thanks for the write up and good luck with them!
__________________

__________________
________
Cam
2015 Georgetown 280DS
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 AM.