Old 07-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
I Love my Georgetown that why I may have to let it go.

I have a huge decision to make in the next week or so. I bought my Georgetown 3 month ago from what I clearly say is a not so honest dealer. We rented RVís the last 5 years and we wanted to make it official. Well we learned that we are an RV family for sure. I did my homework and the RV was 20% below market price and I got another 15% off that but I knew there was a reason and I would take some of those savings to fix and upgrade it the way I want. And just to make sure I don't have a huge cost overrun I purchased an extended warranty (I read about how most feel about them but I Purchased one a while ago on my old car and it saved my butt). So I figured this will definitely help me again. Boy was I right.
So before I upgrade the furniture and flooring, as I have a great flooring guy and found a good deal on furniture, I wanted to make sure that I'm not having any major problems before I put big investments in it as whoever owned this RV looked like they just lived in it and didn't care about the furniture and didnít do anything to it except upgrade the front TV.

Well the trouble didn't take long to show up with bad tires that the dealer paid 1/2 to replace and I found a great deal at Costco and got me some great Michelins before I took the family out for our first trip. At the same time the stairs motor burned out and the dealer send me a new one and paid for the installation. So far so good.

A couple of weeks later the water pump looked like it was wired wrong which damaged the pump and one call to the warranty company from the Mobile RV guy Kevin that we found and everything was fixed in 1 week. I found Kevin, an old RV expert that I'm convinced could fix anything on my RV, but he is not cheap. Since the warranty is picking up the tab, why not get the best, so my thought went....

Two month later (last week) one of the slide outs that was acting up started to move out when the RV is parked and I got freaked out that it would do that while I'm moving so I put a few 2x2's to hold it in place to secure it and parked it. We also noticed that the dash AC was not working well so we added that to the list. I called good old Kevin and he diagnosed the whole thing and came up with a $2900 estimate for the cylinder change to the slide out, the AC and a couple small issues we found. The AC should really be half but he explained that the compressor was the main issue and he may be forced to replace the hoses, flush the entire system in order for the manufacturer to warranty the whole job. Not clear on all that, but that is between him and the warranty company as Iím sure they will push back on that and I think Kevin is reaching here but we will get there when we get there.

When Kevin called all that in, to no one's surprise the warranty company said well if it's over $1,300 we need an inspector. I knew that so I was expecting it. We are now waiting for the inspector to show up to see what he says as I'm expecting the inspector to agree with most repairs but may ask Kevin to just replace the AC compressor and not do all the other work that ran the bill up another $1,000. I'm expecting an interesting discussion there....

So the bigger question is it worth keeping this clearly fixer-upper to make it great since I have the warranty for another almost 4 years or should I just fix it up enough and sell it and get a do over. I think after the repairs so far and the new tires I will get most if not all of my money back. If I keep it I'm expecting that I will be using more of the warranty. I don't think they will or can terminate the contract, but I got to check and read the fine print. I do have to look into if I have a lifetime cap as I'm sure I will be using more of the warranty specifically in the next year to work out all the kinks and should anything major occur then I may use it again. I personally don't mind having Kevin work out all the issues as he is a mobile guy and I just have him go take care of it while I'm at work and I just go inspect that everything is working and take it out after its fixed.

What does everyone think I should do?

E-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
If you like the FP and size then I say keep it. It would suck to get this model all fixed up, trade it, and then get another one with problems that have to work out as well. This is assuming the warranty covers this latest round of repairs. If so, then it sounds like you have a decent warranty and good repairman.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
What year is it also what model?
2012 Georgetown 378TS Fire Mist
2008 Honda Fit
ReadyBrakeô Surge Brake System integrated with ReadyBruteô Elite RV Tow Bar
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
I tend to dump vehicles like this - not on a cost basis but a hassle basis.
I can't stand a car/truck, or a tractor even, that breaks down every third use or 500 miles whichever comes first.

Peace of mind has value to it.
Jill & Chris, Wills (14) Evie (11) & Toby our collie (5)
2011 Grey Wolf 28BH
2013 Chevy K1500 Crew w/ Reese StraitLine Dual Cam

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 3
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Originally Posted by Falcon35 View Post
What year is it also what model?
It's a 2008 370.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
Any opportunity to go after the less than honest dealer? I've been in situations like that and it ended up with years of me polishing the turd. IMHO I'd get rid of it.
MGOBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
We have a few good lawyers in the family and one friend that is just great that I may run things by to see what I'm looking at in terms of time and ability to recoup anything worth my time. I had a business deal go south on me and good old Ken ripped'm a new one and they got straight real quick so I'll send him an email to see what he thinks of these guys.

I'm waiting on the inspection results which are happening right now.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
Thumbs up

I think that if it runs and drives well with no structural or suspension issues I would keep it and just stay on top of the repairs...especially if you have this warranty that seems to be working for you and a good mechanic too.

We just purchased a 2011 378 with low km's, there are many little and a few big things to take care of as well but we love it and when I'm done fixing most things I'll know it that much also helps to be a jack of all trades too

So like a used car there will always be things to do on it but if you like it then keep it

Our first motor home
GaeTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
I guess we've been fairly lucky with our '02 Georgetown. We bought privately from the original owner and it was about $8K less than NADA. We're in our third season with it

It needed new tires when we first bought it (which we knew about) and new slide toppers (which was a surprise). I had to replace the overhead cabinets in the dinette slide-out because of water damage caused by the rotted-out topper. I built my own.

This year, the fridge died and we had it replaced. At the moment the generator won't run - still being evaluated.

We don't like the ride quality - it rides like an 11-ton box truck, which isn't surprising. I'm more inclined to spend money on gasoline and CG fees than trying to make it ride like a limousine. Another major drawback is that DW couldn't drive it, even if she wanted to. There isn't any height adjustment on the driver's seat, and her feet don't reach the floor and there isn't enough steering column adjustment to get the wheel in the right place.

Unfortunately, the cost of running the thing is getting way from us. We may have to sell to get our finances back in reasonable shape.

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?
Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
Well the warranty company to my delight covered all the cost and good old Kevin fixed the slides and the steps in time for us to take RV out for the weekend and both the slide and steps feel solid for the first time. Shoot he even fixed the main slide free of charge. I guess it was 12 inches out out alignment so it starts immediately instead of waiting a few seconds and wondering if it will work. The Ac is next week and the RV should be good for this round. I'm sure I will have a few issues, but I feel that I will be covered as long as I don't hit some type of warranty limit or a major issue that frustrates me.

We are at the beautiful flying flags at Solvang and having a wonderful time this evening.

Thank you good folks.

2008 Georgetown 370ts XL