Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #1

I will get Steer Safe installed on Georgetown

I have decided to get the Steer Safe frontend system installed next week at the manufacturer of the product in Deming NM. Sent them an email and they replied and we setup a date and time.

Manufacturer Statements

Steer Safe protects you against front tire blowouts, potholes, soft shoulders, high winds, wandering, accidental encounters with curbs, and highway medians. It also helps reduce driver fatigue. Steer Safe is the best safety insurance for your vehicle, driver, and passengers.
It provides up to 400 pounds of preset tension on each front wheel working against any outside forces, keeping the front wheels pointed straight, even in a blowout situation.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Not sure I really need it for wandering but we all have the shakes when a semi passes us. It also reduces the stress of driving long distances in your hands, arms and shoulders. I will let everyone know after our upcoming 6,000 plus miles trip.

It is a little pricey for a few pieces of iron and a few springs but because I plan to drive my Georgetown many miles in the coming years anything that can make the drive more confortable and less stressful for the driver would be great. I actually feel my DW will be able to drive more with this device.

Here is a link to their website if anyone want to read more about it. >> Steer Safe

I know their are other devices to stabilize your frontend but lets see if we can stay on the subject of Steer Safe only.

Has anyone had it installed already?
What has it done for your driving?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smallsteersafe.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	32877  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
Enjoying LIFE

I have a 2008 FR Georgetown 373 and I do not have any problems with wandering or steering on this MH but I had a 1999 FR Windsong before this one and I did have Steer Safe installed on it. It did not solve all of the problems but it did help. I think it was a good product for the Windsong. Probabaly the best change I made for the older unit. I hope this will help
Gene Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #3

ive been thinking about this too. I'm wondering if anyone has done it on a 13/14 model yet.
fullenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #4

I put it on my 2013 350TS. I have to say steer safe and the tiger trak bar were the two best investments I could have ever made. They both made a world of difference in the overall handling. Steer safe makes it feel more like driving a really big SUV. The best benefit is much less driver fatigue. I won't say it had a huge effect on semis passing. That gold star went to the Tiger Trak bar. Both items are well worth the investment.
One thing, I usually hear the springs moving around in a hard turn. It's normal, but the first few times it's a little startling.
MGOBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGOBlue View Post
I put it on my 2013 350TS. I have to say steer safe and the tiger trak bar were the two best investments I could have ever made. They both made a world of difference in the overall handling. Steer safe makes it feel more like driving a really big SUV. The best benefit is much less driver fatigue. I won't say it had a huge effect on semis passing. That gold star went to the Tiger Trak bar. Both items are well worth the investment.
One thing, I usually hear the springs moving around in a hard turn. It's normal, but the first few times it's a little startling.
__________________________________________________ _________

I installed the Tiger Trak Bar myself a few weeks ago but haven't tested it on the open road. I figure the Steer Safe will be the last costly add-on I will need.

Did you do the swaybar mod moving using the holes closer to the front and rear axles?
Keep your swaybar rubber bushing lubes well so they will allow the bar to rotate.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
Navion IQ 24V

I just ordered my Safety Steer , its the last piece of the handling puzzle to be put on. The Tiger Track was the best add on thus for. Did the free mods a while back. All the mods do appear to help make for a more stable handling bread box.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
__________________________________________________ _________

I installed the Tiger Trak Bar myself a few weeks ago but haven't tested it on the open road. I figure the Steer Safe will be the last costly add-on I will need.

Did you do the swaybar mod moving using the holes closer to the front and rear axles?
Keep your swaybar rubber bushing lubes well so they will allow the bar to rotate.

I did the swaybar mod on both front and back. It seemed to make a difference, but not nearly the improvements from the steer safe and tiger trak. I tried to install the tiger trak myself, but couldn't get the bolts loosened on the axle. $60 at the local frame shop to install was worth it. I installed the steer safe on my own. Once I ignored the instructions and used the online youtube video, it was easy. You won' t be disappointed.
MGOBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:55 AM   #8

I've yet to do the swaybar mod, but it is on my list of things to do. I did install the Blue Ox Tru-Center and I think it makes a huge difference in the steering. Much easier to handle on the highway and helps when passing or being passed by big trucks.
Found a great deal online and installed it myself.
Sterling All-Terrain Tow Bar - SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Do What You Like - Like What You Do!
Los Popes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #9

I put the steer safe on my 2012 Georgetown 378xl last year while i was in Ruidoso NM.It made a great improvement with the cross winds.
manvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #10

You definitely won't be sorry - it's a great mod! (I also did the Tiger Trak on the rear).

Primarily did the steer safe for front tire blow out "insurance" - any extra stability should we encounter that situation is a plus, in my book. Helps keep the rig tracking straight in case that happens, and minimizes any sudden darting to either side.

We have driven quite a bit with both mods and where technically we didn't "need" them, both really made a positive difference in our overall ride experience.
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #11

Just did 350 mile trip and the differece is like night and day. I am impressed.
fullenw is offline   Reply With Quote