Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2017, 08:01 AM   #1

I64 through WV and VA

Hi ,

Has anyone traveled on this interstate lately? How are the elevations? Is there a lot of construction going on? We are going to Williamsburg next month and I am trying to get prepared.
tjvpga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:52 PM   #2

Williamsburg is almost at sea level so its all mostly downhill from WVa!! Resurfacing is always part of I64 road work (thank goodness) and April is when they start.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:27 PM   #3

I live in the area. You may run into a couple of repair / repaving jobs between Bluefield and Beckley and I think they are still doing some paving on 64 east between the split of 77 north and the sandstone mountain area around airport / mine academy exit Past Beckley. No flagging ie stopping / backup that Im aware of but may narrow to one lane for a couple miles. As far as elevation you will get to work that v10 going north toward Beckley from Princeton / Bluefield as its a pretty steep grade pulling up to Ghent. Once you get on 64 east out of beckley toward Covington Va you will want to use that tow haul going down Sandstone mountain. Nothing to worry about you will do fine. I do suggest you fill up at Wythville VA before crossing into WV as you will save around 30 cents a gallon on gas. There are two flying J stations on 77 in Wythville. if you are coming north on 77 hit the 2nd flying J station as pretty easy in and out with rv lanes. You will also get to come through 2 good size tunnels between Wythville and WV state line coming North. Have Fun driving will be a breeze through WV. As far as traffic. It normally flows pretty good. You may get into heavy traffic around Richmond and when headed into Williamsburg Newport News area. id suggest timing that not at quitting time during the work week. i used to live in Hampton Newport News area 14 years ago and traffic used to back up during rush hour. You will also find they are not as "nice" drivers up there as some other places around the country. Have to kind of play the Im bigger than You move over to change lanes up there. have a safe trip. lots to see and do in the Williamsburg Hampton Roads area.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:34 AM   #4

Thank you for the great info. I appreciate your time.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
tjvpga is offline   Reply With Quote