Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2013, 12:04 AM   #1

Ice maker not making ice

I've had my FR GT 378 almost a year now and It seems my ice maker doesn't and has never made ice before.

Anyone know it there is a valve or switch or something that the dealer never turner on to get it to make ice?
Aandchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:19 AM   #2

Mine has a shut off valve under the kitchen slide just behind the skirting.
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:29 AM   #3

The shut off valve is located behind the access panel on the outside of the coach. It is toward the aft end of the access area. It's is a push-pull valve. You will also see the feed tubing for the ice maker.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:30 AM   #4

My 2012 378 go to the outside and pull of the cover on the back side of your refrigerator there is off/on push/pull switch follow your water line you should find it and make sure the arm on the ice maker is down to make ice
sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpiper View Post
My 2012 378 go to the outside and pull of the cover on the back side of your refrigerator there is off/on push/pull switch follow your water line you should find it and make sure the arm on the ice maker is down to make ice
The valve is pushed in/down, if I pull it up it sprays water from what I think is a solenoid of some sort. So...the valve is working/on.

The wire/arm in the ice box is also in the down position, no water is getting to it to make ice. Also the water dispenser which probably is tied in also does not dispense water.

Any idea?
Old 03-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #6

Get her to the dealer before the warranty runs out.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aandchart View Post
The valve is pushed in/down, if I pull it up it sprays water from what I think is a solenoid of some sort. So...the valve is working/on.

The wire/arm in the ice box is also in the down position, no water is getting to it to make ice. Also the water dispenser which probably is tied in also does not dispense water.

Any idea?
If you pull it up and it sprays, that is the on position. The water comes from the main cold system, feeds a 12 Volt solonoid for the the door dispenser and a 110 Volt solonoid for the ice maker. Make sure water is on and 110 VAC is available for the household plug of the fridge, and ice maker two separate plugs.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Is it spraying from the bottom of the solonoid? If it is is it possible that it froze before you got it? I had to replace mine. When we cam home from the south last April there were a few days just below freezing. The coach was in storage with no hookups so I don't have the arctic pac on. There is almost nothing to protect that solonoid from the cold.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon35 View Post
Is it spraying from the bottom of the solonoid? If it is is it possible that it froze before you got it? I had to replace mine. When we cam home from the south last April there were a few days just below freezing. The coach was in storage with no hookups so I don't have the arctic pac on. There is almost nothing to protect that solonoid from the cold.
I'd say your probably right. If its not supposed to leak. I've got a problem, and it never worked.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-676064763.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	25458
Old 03-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #10

In my photo, you can see the leak. I snapped a quick shot then turned it off.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #11

Quote:
For sure its worth to get it working, I've mades pounds and pounds of ice with mine, pretty efficient for such a small machine.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Quote:
I think your right, you will have to pull the foil of and then you'll see a big split.
Watch out for the heater wire. When the tech put mine on he ripped a lot of the foil. I plan to make sure that I replaced that and put some more insulation around it before I get somewhere it may get close to freezing.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon35 View Post

I think your right, you will have to pull the foil of and then you'll see a big split.
Watch out for the heater wire. When the tech put mine on he ripped a lot of the foil. I plan to make sure that I replaced that and put some more insulation around it before I get somewhere it may get close to freezing.
Thanks for the tips. I though maybe the brass nut and the brass ball seal needed a rubber seal. But it still leaked regardless. It's coming from the valve somewhere.

I'm sure it is warranted, but the dealer is eight hours away, and the local place said it wasn't worth there time to do warranty repairs.

I'll add this to the list of things needing fixed, next to the leaky hydraulic system.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #14

Just a suggestion, but your owners manual on the fridge should have instructions on how to winterize the ice maker. Follow that procedure which should include using an air compressor on the valve to blow out the valve and water line. This procedure forces the valve to " cycle" through as if making ice. Perhaps the valve is stuck or clogged.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpiper View Post
I have a 2016 sandpiper 378... but I have a home refrigerator. I dont believe there is an outside door for it. any other ideas on where I need to check?
Thomasnobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasnobles View Post
I have a 2016 sandpiper 378... but I have a home refrigerator. I dont believe there is an outside door for it. any other ideas on where I need to check?

If there is no outside access (not always fitted). You may need to pull the box in. Check for braces top and bottom. Power cord and feed tubing will have enough length.