Old 01-17-2014, 09:00 AM   #11

+1 running the generator is the way to go. It wouldn't even use that much gas by just running the TVs and having the fridge's compressor come on here and there. The manual says .3g/h @no load, .6g/h @ half load, and .9 @ full load. Not sure what the TVs will draw, but most certainly much less than half load on the gen which is ~22A. Now, when you fire up the gen you are also powering the charger, some LEDs here and there, and the fridge so I guess it's safe to say that it will be close to half load at times, but most of the time much less.

Installing another inverter = $250 plus installation and having a warranty voided if something goes wrong. I think it's a neat idea but not cost effective.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:45 AM   #12

Besides installation, I have a feeling you might need more batteries, which also means a battery tray mod and who knows what else.
My point was, this thing burns 10 gallons an hour driving down the road. The extra .5 gallons using the generator for it's intended purpose is pretty negligible.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited Toad with ReadyBrute Elite
Networx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #13

we did an in motion sat system, and saves all conflicts, weather dvd or tv everybody wins.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #14

How much do those motion sat systems run?
Old 01-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #15

Aren't the TV's in the bunks AC/DC? I know the tv in my bedroom is and those drop down screens used in bunks are pretty small. Just a FYI, for my laptop use, charging the cell phones while driving or using my iPod docking station camping when there is no shore power I have a small 20W inverter I bought at Target for $40. Plugs into the cigarette lighter outlet. Was way cheaper and more versatile than buying a laptop DC adapter.
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #16

They may be ACDC (Highway to Hell) They do plug into a 110 receptacle though. I'd have to go out and look.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Aren't the TV's in the bunks AC/DC? I know the tv in my bedroom is and those drop down screens used in bunks are pretty small. Just a FYI, for my laptop use, charging the cell phones while driving or using my iPod docking station camping when there is no shore power I have a small 20W inverter I bought at Target for $40. Plugs into the cigarette lighter outlet. Was way cheaper and more versatile than buying a laptop DC adapter.

Yup. I have a similar small inverter that I plug into any 12v cigarette style outlet. Works great for cell phones, tablets and lap tops all of which operate on milliamps. It has two receptacles and sits on the floor between us while rolling down the road. Wife uses one side, I use the other. In my B van I use a 900 watt inverter that runs off a marine deep cycle battery that is charged by the altenator to run a 19" Flat screen TV, small frig and a small microwave.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:49 PM   #18
Denver, CO

32in Samsung TV - 33 watts AC

32in Jensen 12 volt - 90w (7.5 amps) DC

Sony blueray player - 5 watts AC

Phillips sound bar - 20 watts AC

Total AC watts = 60 watts AC which is .5 amps AC or about 5 amps (not including the inverter conversion efficiency) In my application this system uses 7.1 amps of DC running the TV, DVD and Soundbar.

I posted this on another thread. Current TV's draw very little.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:02 PM   #19

I believe they are 12 volt compatible tv's, I was considering looking to see if it's possible to run 12 volts to the bunks to run the tv's off batteries rather than running off the generator as we do quite a bit of dry camping.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #20
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networx View Post
Just run the genny. It provides many other conveniences beyond the TVs.. with my 3 kids, pretty much if the wheels are moving, the genny is running. At a half gallon an hour, u won't even notice it on the gas gauge.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Forest River Forums mobile app
X2. Isn't that why you buy one of these rigs in the first place? Most of the travel we do is in the summer time and we need the roof A/C on anyways. If you really want a battery bank with huge inverters and a generator that only turns on when the voltage on the batteries is low then maybe you should buy a diesel pusher.

Tags
inverter