Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2014, 05:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdkillz View Post
I believe they are 12 volt compatible tv's, I was considering looking to see if it's possible to run 12 volts to the bunks to run the tv's off batteries rather than running off the generator as we do quite a bit of dry camping.
Yes, I just pulled one off and they only run off of 12v. There is a 110VAC > 12VDC transformer hidden behind the corner panel. Having them wired to 12v could have been easily done at the factory. Not sure where to grab 12v from. The only place I can think off that's close enough is the bunk bed light on the opposite side of the TVs.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #22

Do you think you can get enough amps off that 12volt line to the lights? You may need to run an extra 12v line from the battery box.
Preadus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:41 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preadus View Post
Do you think you can get enough amps off that 12volt line to the lights? You may need to run an extra 12v line from the battery box.
I need to find out how many amps they need. If I had to guess it would be less than one amp. They are cheap Chinese models. The sticker in the back just says 12v and the power supply is somehow tucked behind a panel.

To be honest, I don't know where to start. Everything is neatly nailed or glued in place and I'd hate to tear things up. I thought about installing a small UPS on the shelve. I have no problems running the generator while on the road, but it seems like a waste of energy for just one small TV.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:37 PM   #24

Idea for running TV's off inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preadus View Post
I just purchased a new 2013 351 DS Georgetown. I think it would be convenient for my kids to be able to watch the TV's while we are traveling. I want to run my idea by everyone to get some input.

I want to run an extension cord from the current inverter to the compartment under the bed behind the fuse box. I will connect that to a new auto switch exactly like the one that is currently installed to switch the refrigerator from battery to shore. I will then wire that into the fuse labeled rec. This should power all of the entertainment devices.

My concerns are:

Will the current 1000 watt inverter handle a couple TV's in addition to the refrigerator?

If I opt to install a second alternator, do I need to get a sine wave inverter?

Does anyone have any feedback for me on this?

I think that the batteries should handle it while driving because they are being charged off the alternator.

If you are referring to the bunk tv's, I purchased the 12 volt power cables and ran 12 volt up to the bunks. It was relatively easy, 2 hours of work and ran me $100-120 in materials. If you want more info, let me know.

Steve

Search google: sky_plug12v

Search amazon: 12v dash mount power socket

Their is a heavy gauge 12 volt line that connects to both the led lights. I hooked into it and ran one line up the exterior wall
ifrpilot99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifrpilot99 View Post
If you are referring to the bunk tv's, I purchased the 12 volt power cables and ran 12 volt up to the bunks. It was relatively easy, 2 hours of work and ran me $100-120 in materials. If you want more info, let me know.

Steve

Search google: sky_plug12v

Search amazon: 12v dash mount power socket

Their is a heavy gauge 12 volt line that connects to both the led lights. I hooked into it and ran one line up the exterior wall
That is exactly what I've been wanting to do. Could you please provide more details as to what had to be removed to tuck the wires.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #26

Converting bunks to 12v

Fortunately, the TV's in the bunks are actually made for 12v. Had you purchased them new, I suspect you would have received both cables. You need some quick splice connectors, 50 foot of 16 gauge/2 wire cable, zip ties, cable raceway, 2 -12 volt outlets and the skyworth 12v replacement power cord.

I used home depot for the cable, connectors and cord raceway. Purchased the Skyworth adapter and 12v lighter outlet from 12volt-travel.com. (you need the model number from one of the TV's.

Install involves removing the bottom bunk top. Pull of the bottom bunk matress and you find a sheet of plywood held into the bunk with screws. Remove all the screws and the plywood bunk platform. You will find the main 12 volt power feed to the bunk led lights sitting at the bottom to the left. It is tucked away so look for the small wires from the bottom bunk led light.
Rather than type out a long installation manual, I will shoot some photos of my install on Wednesday. In the meantime, here are some links for parts:

12v Lighter Outlet
12 Volt Clip-On Battery Platinum Series Cigarette Lighter Adapter RPPSAPS

12v DC Power Cord for TV
12 Volt Clip-On Battery Platinum Series Cigarette Lighter Adapter RPPSAPS

Cord Raceway
Wiremold/Legrand 5 ft. Cord Management Channel-C1 at The Home Depot
Old 02-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #27

Would love to see some photo's of how you did it. I was trying to figure out how to do the same thing.
Thanks
pkhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:19 AM   #28

pkhill,

I will send over photos ASAP. Work and family has kept me busy the past few weeks and I need to pull the bunk apart to take photos. I hope to have some photos by the end of next week.

Steve
Old 04-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #29

I ran the 12v for my Bunk TV's from the light in the first closet door on my 352. Worked like a charm.
chrisbailey13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter