Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #1

Idea for running TV's off inverter

I just purchased a new 2013 351 DS Georgetown. I think it would be convenient for my kids to be able to watch the TV's while we are traveling. I want to run my idea by everyone to get some input.

I want to run an extension cord from the current inverter to the compartment under the bed behind the fuse box. I will connect that to a new auto switch exactly like the one that is currently installed to switch the refrigerator from battery to shore. I will then wire that into the fuse labeled rec. This should power all of the entertainment devices.

My concerns are:

Will the current 1000 watt inverter handle a couple TV's in addition to the refrigerator?

If I opt to install a second alternator, do I need to get a sine wave inverter?

Does anyone have any feedback for me on this?

I think that the batteries should handle it while driving because they are being charged off the alternator.
Preadus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #2

DW and I have different opinions on this sort of subject. I don't feel comfortable letting the kids roam around free in the cabin in case of an accident. I like them strapped in the seats. She then reminded me of how I grew up riding on the back of my dad's pickup. She also reminds me that part of the reason we went from a TT to a Class A is so that the kids could travel comfortably. To me, it just doesn't make sense that the two adults up front wear a seatbelts, but the kids outback don't. On our trip to FL I would fire up the gen to let our older one go into his bunkbed and watch a movie for a while. The way I figure is that when we used to make that 1k mile trip on our truck w/TT they would be in kiddie seats the entire time...at least on the coach they can take breaks and get up, go to loo, etc.

We got our oldest one an Ipad to keep him busy this coming up season and I'm going to run an extension from the inverter to either the kitchen or dining area. He can keep his Ipad charged and one of those portable DVD players should be good enough.

Your idea sounds good...a little complicated, but could be done. I'm sure there are different thoughts about the seatbelts. DW and I will still be talking about it next season.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Could probably handle a new style tv or maybe 2.

Probably been more miles traveled before seat belts than since, BUT, you make a very good point. Strap them in! I do believe there are rules governing unbelted passengers.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #4

Your idea sounds like what I would like to do in my coach
You would be pushing the watts for all devises running at the same time on the same inverter of the refridge.
I added up my TV, and dvd/dvr/stereo. They totaled about 310 watts. The fridge takes about 600 watts
If you can use your first idea with a new inverter and a transfer switch installed near the batteries and run wires to the breaker panel that would be a very good idea. That is the way I plan on doing it in the spring.
Watch a recorded show or a DVD is a neat idea for long and boring drives at time. Also when you stop for a short rest.
Good luck and let's us know what you did and how it works.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:02 PM   #5

Wrapperman-

Are you confident about the 600 watts for the refrigerator? It seems like the 1000 watt inverter should work for the bunk TV's. if that is true.
Does anyone know why they used a sine wave inverter? It seems like sine wave inverters are for TV's.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:38 PM   #6

I just did some research and the frig is 120 volts 8.5 amps. That should be 1020 watts. If this is the case then the inverter is beyond max already. Why would they put an under power inverter in the coach.

Well it looks like I definitely will need an additional inverter in order to power any other 120v items.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:01 PM   #7

I just vaguely remember reading online about how many amps the refridge used.
It's been 6 months since I read that. 8 amps seems to be an awful lot of amps for a refridge. I thought it was about 4 amps. If I find it different I'll post it
I'll do some research cause I would like to know myself.
A pure sine wave inverter can power a fridge or electronics.
A modified sine wave can also power a fridge but it sometimes makes a louder hum and as for electronics most TV'S and stereos work fine but it might produce small amounts of white noise on the screen. Cell phone and tablets sometimes have a harder time using modified sine wave inverters
I'm any case you need another inverter
I am trying to find a xantrex inverter with a built in transfer switch. Between 600 to 1000 watts. And installing it in the bay door next to the batteries and running romex wires to the breaker panel and splice it between the breaker and line going to the rec load.
You should try to instal the inverter as close as you can to the batteries. But keep it in a dry place.
Doesn't sound like it would be too hard to rig up.
Good luck and let me know how you did it.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:38 PM   #8

I should have looked at my refridge
You were right. It shows 8.5 amps @ 120 volts
This weekend I will look on the inverter and let you know how many watts it is just so you and I will know.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:47 PM   #9

Just run the genny. It provides many other conveniences beyond the TVs.. with my 3 kids, pretty much if the wheels are moving, the genny is running. At a half gallon an hour, u won't even notice it on the gas gauge.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Forest River Forums mobile app
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited Toad with ReadyBrute Elite
Networx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:50 AM   #10

Hmm let's see networx

1/2 gallon per hour huh. That's about $1.60 per hour.
New 1000 watt inverter $250.00

That's 156 hours of fuel.
That makes way too much sense.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:00 AM   #11

+1 running the generator is the way to go. It wouldn't even use that much gas by just running the TVs and having the fridge's compressor come on here and there. The manual says .3g/h @no load, .6g/h @ half load, and .9 @ full load. Not sure what the TVs will draw, but most certainly much less than half load on the gen which is ~22A. Now, when you fire up the gen you are also powering the charger, some LEDs here and there, and the fridge so I guess it's safe to say that it will be close to half load at times, but most of the time much less.

Installing another inverter = $250 plus installation and having a warranty voided if something goes wrong. I think it's a neat idea but not cost effective.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:45 AM   #12

Besides installation, I have a feeling you might need more batteries, which also means a battery tray mod and who knows what else.
My point was, this thing burns 10 gallons an hour driving down the road. The extra .5 gallons using the generator for it's intended purpose is pretty negligible.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited Toad with ReadyBrute Elite
Networx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #13

we did an in motion sat system, and saves all conflicts, weather dvd or tv everybody wins.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #14

How much do those motion sat systems run?
Old 01-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #15

Aren't the TV's in the bunks AC/DC? I know the tv in my bedroom is and those drop down screens used in bunks are pretty small. Just a FYI, for my laptop use, charging the cell phones while driving or using my iPod docking station camping when there is no shore power I have a small 20W inverter I bought at Target for $40. Plugs into the cigarette lighter outlet. Was way cheaper and more versatile than buying a laptop DC adapter.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #16

They may be ACDC (Highway to Hell) They do plug into a 110 receptacle though. I'd have to go out and look.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Aren't the TV's in the bunks AC/DC? I know the tv in my bedroom is and those drop down screens used in bunks are pretty small. Just a FYI, for my laptop use, charging the cell phones while driving or using my iPod docking station camping when there is no shore power I have a small 20W inverter I bought at Target for $40. Plugs into the cigarette lighter outlet. Was way cheaper and more versatile than buying a laptop DC adapter.

Yup. I have a similar small inverter that I plug into any 12v cigarette style outlet. Works great for cell phones, tablets and lap tops all of which operate on milliamps. It has two receptacles and sits on the floor between us while rolling down the road. Wife uses one side, I use the other. In my B van I use a 900 watt inverter that runs off a marine deep cycle battery that is charged by the altenator to run a 19" Flat screen TV, small frig and a small microwave.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:49 PM   #18
Denver, CO

32in Samsung TV - 33 watts AC

32in Jensen 12 volt - 90w (7.5 amps) DC

Sony blueray player - 5 watts AC

Phillips sound bar - 20 watts AC

Total AC watts = 60 watts AC which is .5 amps AC or about 5 amps (not including the inverter conversion efficiency) In my application this system uses 7.1 amps of DC running the TV, DVD and Soundbar.

I posted this on another thread. Current TV's draw very little.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:02 PM   #19

I believe they are 12 volt compatible tv's, I was considering looking to see if it's possible to run 12 volts to the bunks to run the tv's off batteries rather than running off the generator as we do quite a bit of dry camping.
spdkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #20
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networx View Post
Just run the genny. It provides many other conveniences beyond the TVs.. with my 3 kids, pretty much if the wheels are moving, the genny is running. At a half gallon an hour, u won't even notice it on the gas gauge.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Forest River Forums mobile app
X2. Isn't that why you buy one of these rigs in the first place? Most of the travel we do is in the summer time and we need the roof A/C on anyways. If you really want a battery bank with huge inverters and a generator that only turns on when the voltage on the batteries is low then maybe you should buy a diesel pusher.

Tags
inverter