Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #1

I'll never complain about washing the car again......

Washed the new toy for the first time yesterday. Wow. that is a LOT of fiberglass Took a couple hours even using the drip dry technique and not doing the roof. I'm scared just thinking about having to hand wax that puppy when we get some better weather..... wanted to hire - karate kid.

And alas the slides are still crapping out and going in/out diagonally and of course I found this out after the $500 trip home. Nothing like having to sit on your butt repeatedly kicking one end of a slider to make it keep up to the other end after having just dished out $120K. Waiting to hear Lipperts next plan.....and it better be a good one at $500 a pop to go to the dealer to "try" something else. It's going to be a pain to diagnose though as it's intermittent, either there is debris floating around in the system and gettting hung up valves from time to time or there are air bubbles are getting introduced somehow..... still in the "grrrrr" category.
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #2

Yea I keep looking for a service that will come to my house and wax mine. I've found a couple but they always want ~$450. Which is too rich for my blood.

I bought mine used and it had no wax on it when I got it. So far it's never been waxed by my hand either. Maybe someday I'll do it.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
Anacortesians

If you go to a charity car wash, you have to ask what the "per acre" price is! I did buy some marine fiberglass wax polish from West Marine just after we bought the rig. I haven't built up enough courage to attempt a polish job, just a small area that really looks good. Maybe, over the next 2 years, I'll get around to doing a complete polish (excluding the roof).
Old 02-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #4

I've been thinking about the same wax job. The idea I've come up with is to pack a couple ladders, all the polishing stuff times two and drive over to the local Home Depot. Lots of day laborers hang out there and I'm sure that for $10 per hour I can find two guys who over a couple of hours will knock off the job. There may even be some experienced guys who've worked at detailing shops. So, for somewhere around $100-$150 and my time I can get it done. So far this is only a theory like the Big Bang. I'm calling it the Big Wax.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

It's definitely a big job. I've done mine at least once every year since we bought the rig in 2006. I usually spread it out over the weekend. I'll wash it one night during the weekdays. Saturday morning starting around 6:30-7:00 AM I'll tackle one side, front to back. Later in the evening after the sun is off the rig for awhile I'll do the front, which doesn't take real long. Sunday morning again around 6:30-7:00 AM I'll do the other side front to back and finish up that evening doing the back. AM work includes coffee, PM work needs to be a cold one or two.
It might take a weekend but it's easier on my knees and back and I take my time to get it right.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #6

I'm officially an unemployed bum so I'm having a guilty concious over paying someone else to do the wax job. The part I'm struggling with is at what time am I going to switch from coffee and baileys to beer..... so many factors to consider.... time of day....air temperature....sun level....wind conditions......sweat factor.....and clearly I can't start the job at all until I have that all figured out.....never want to rush into a job without an iron clad beverage plan
Sevice Manager at dealer off sick so no news on slider hydraulic issue next steps.....I'm nervous.....
Old 02-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
We are down here in south Texas in the Rio Grande Valley for the winter. We are getting our rig washed and waxed for $70 including the roof. Of course they are not waxing the roof. But, as others have stated if you have the full body paint with two coats of clear coat it doesn't need to be waxed. But, for $70 what the heck.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #8

At our State spring Samboree there is a group that washes and waxes. Don't know the cost, but I may inquirer at this years event. My arthritis will not allow waxing, I can barely get through washing.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #9

I do like clearcoats but my personal opionion from my "wash-every-other-day" sports car ownership days is that wax still provides a layer of protection from bird poop, tree sap and road tar. It seemed to me like the wax also made washing the dirt off easier. Not saying that a layer of wax may not actually make your ride a little less shiney, unless you get the application and buffing perfect, but I care less about the ultimate wet look than I care about protecting my finish for resale value.

Not a chemist......not an expert.....please don't flame me.....just seems that way to me from my experience.....

I think my guilt could handle anything under $100, have to keep an eye our for a deal like that
Old 02-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #10

one little spot on the rear end

my friend here in town
pays a pro washer,waxer 10 bucks per foot
his 31ft rig cost him 310 dollars
that includes
wash, wax everyTHING including roof

I hired one of those homeless guys years ago
to wax my Super Chief for 10 bucks an hour
I supplied the wax
1 and 1/2 hours later he was still on the basic same spot