Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #1

In-Motion Satellite Experience

We are looking to add an in motion satellite system to our 373, and would like to know if anyone has expeience with any of the brands that are out there.

Of course all of the brands claim they are the "best" but real world experience would help clear this up.

Can anyone give us some feedback or pointers?
rxfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:53 PM   #2

I have a King Dome in-motion sat on the roof of my 370XL. It's circa 2008 and so it doesn't have the latest/greatest DirecTV transponders to pick up the new HD satellites, but otherwise I'm VERY happy with it.

There have been a couple times that it get's confused after long periods of no power, but I just use the reset procedure in the manual and life is good.

I've never tried driving with it on, but I can tell you that it's always locked into the signal by the time we park / turn on the TV.

A pic of how it looks mounted:

Name:   07020046.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  38.2 KB
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We have a Winegard Movin' View Dome, they don't make it any more. However they do make others just a bit more streamlined. We've used ours on occasion while driving down the road. It stays connected pretty well but the noise of the adjustmnets can get a bit annoying. As stated by TulsaSteve ours doesn't take very long when we set up to locate the satelites. Ours does not have HD capabilities either. We have a Tivo unit so we usually have a bunch of stuff recorded in case reception is a problem when on a tree coverage type site.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #4

One more bit.. I don't pay any extra for the receiver. I just take the unit from our bedroom and put it in the RV before we leave.

I also bought a wireless IR remote extender so I can point the remote at that unit in the bedroom and change the channel without getting up / walking up front and waking my son.
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #5

Can you use the rv dish to run a TiVo receiver? So far, everyone I've asked has said no. Are you watching old TiVo'd stuff from at home, or are you TiVo'ing stuff on the road and in camp?
rxfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxfiller View Post
Can you use the rv dish to run a TiVo receiver? So far, everyone I've asked has said no. Are you watching old TiVo'd stuff from at home, or are you TiVo'ing stuff on the road and in camp?
I haven't had any problems. I've been using mine since March 2007. It does require a dual LNB dish or else you can't record a program while watching a Live program or record two while watching a pre-recorded program. My dome has 2 feeds in off the dual LNB and tie directly to the Tivo unit and from there I send it to the front TV or to the rear TV through my VCR.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 04-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #7

I love my In-motion sat by King Dome. I go down the road with it on very often as my SL loves to watch sports. I also added an i1800w inverter by Xantrex which now I can run the TV/DVD/Cable box and other small stuff like laptops etc without having to turn on the generator .... life is good!
Old 04-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We have a Xantrex RS3000 and it does a great job providing power without relying on the genny for all the minor appliances. If we need AC then I'll fire it up. It does make it nice on long trips.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 04-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
Pilot

We have a wineguard in motion satellite system and it has worked flawlessly for 3 years. The kids would never make it across the country without it. Only thing I have to be careful about it is letting it find the signal when we are stopped for the night before we put up the regular antenna. Sometimes the antenna can get in the way of the satellite signal. Ours works great with HD, just need to get an HD box from directv or dish, if you want it. Or go with free HD over the air.
TimF is offline   Reply With Quote