Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #1

info on toad

hi everyone I need some input on toad can I toad a smart car automatic or have to be standard I personal hate driving standard I don't wanted to spend a furtune buying a new car I have the 378xl 2015 wich other car can be toad four down I have a ford 150 fx4 and a hummer h3 but I think booth are little to havey what you guys think
thanks for the help
frank
borba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:45 PM   #2

I have a Honda CR-V AWD has my toad, I don't do standard, I can I just don't like to.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by borba View Post
hi everyone I need some input on toad can I toad a smart car automatic or have to be standard I personal hate driving standard I don't wanted to spend a furtune buying a new car I have the 378xl 2015 wich other car can be toad four down I have a ford 150 fx4 and a hummer h3 but I think booth are little to havey what you guys think
thanks for the help
frank

Here is a link to the article.
smart flat tow | Smart For Tow

smart flat tow
There are pros and cons for every method. Many feel that towing the smart in a flat tow manner is most effective. This is what’s called a “four down” tow. The smart can be flat towed safely and securely. You just need to concern yourself with observing posted speed limits.

Most important factor you’ll need to consider is that the weight of whatever you are towing does not exceed the maximum weight allowed by your individual RV or motor home. This is rarely an issue when towing the smart fortwo; – it is usually not a problem. However, if you need to tow a smart using a car, truck or SUV, it is critical that you make certain you are operating within the towing guidelines of the vehicle being used for towing.
If it turns out your motorhome or other vehicle is suitable for towing your smart fortwo, there are numerous questions you must be certain you can answer. Towing smart cars calls for some special considerations.
Due to their small sizes, minimal weights, and STD
transmissions, smart cars may be towed flat – which means they can be towed with all four wheels on the ground.
The smart fortwo is able to pass the flat tow test for most motorhomes, even the small Class B types. Numerous motor coach manufacturers offer tow-bar kits and bracket sets for the smart car.
Several producers have bracket kits and installation instructions, but we recommend having yours professionally installed. Most retailers have done a number of professional installations already. You’ll also have to have a tow bar.
Contact an authorized installer for information about their recommendations for tow bar equipment.
A disadvantage to flat towing your smart is the added miles this method adds to the smart’s odometer. We’ve learned when you leave the key of your smart in the “neutral” position, instead of in the on setting, you won’t accumulate miles. As of this writing, this is an unverified piece of information.
One other concern is that you can’t back-up when towing in this manner. The same issue applies to using a tow dolly.
If you are flat towing your smart fortwo over extended distances, take notice of the following recommendations:
Prior to towing, follow all these very simple directions in this order:
  • Engage the parking brake.
  • Be sure the ignition is switched on.
  • Depress the brake pedal and keep it pressed.
  • Shift the gear selector lever to the neutral position – N.
  • Release the brake pedal.
  • Turn off the ignition.
  • Leave the key in the starter switch.
  • Wait approximately 30 seconds – until the multifunction display in the instrument cluster is totally blank.
  • Release the parking brake.
  • Remove the key from the ignition switch.
  • Throughout the tow:
  • Make sure the gear selector lever remains in the neutral position “N” – with the ignition turned to the off position.
After towing:
  • Engage the parking brake.
  • Do not flat tow the vehicle with the front axle elevated. Doing this may cause severe damage to the brake system, which is not covered by the Smart Limited Warranty.
  • Failure to follow smart recommendations for flat towing can cause damage to your vehicle
  • Things you should keep in mind:
  • Leaving the key in the ignition and turned on may result in the smart locking-up. Your vehicle will lock if the wheels are turning at speeds of approximately 8 mph or more.
  • ESP being activated – Active or continuous braking action through the ESP may severely damage the brake system, which is not covered by the smart Limited Warranty.
  • Failure to move the gear selector lever to the neutral position “N” may harm the transmission.
Read about towing your smart fortwo using a trailer.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #4
Happily Retired Member

I have a 378ts and use a tow dolly with a Ford Escape FWD on it. Most dealers can tell you what products they sell can or can not be flat towed.
Most front wheel drives can be towed on a dolly since the drive axle is on the dolly. I have surge brakes on the dolly and it works great.

2013 Ford Escape on Landgrebe tow dolly
Mickeystamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Different cars change between towing from year to year.

If you google the words.....

dinghy towing guide

it will give you information for the various cars over the years, both standard and automatic transmission. Be very careful what anyone tells you........you need to double check that it outlines the actual car you are looking at. Sometimes there can be a difference between 4 cylinder versus 6 cylinder for the same car.

For example...........the Honda CRV has been one of the most popular flat towed vehicles for a very long time. HOWEVER........as of the 2015 model, they are using a CVT (Constant variable transmission) and is now NO longer flat towable as per the owners manual!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #6

thanks Iggy that's takes care of the smart car
Old 12-08-2014, 09:04 PM   #7

Key is to look at Owners Manual before you buy. Even though many are towable, it may not be easy to prepare it for towing. We tow a 2011 Equinox all 4 down. Only have to pull one fuse. Very easy to access. Does not add miles to odometer!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:56 AM   #8

Honda Fit surprisingly lots of room.

msm1827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm1827 View Post
Honda Fit surprisingly lots of room.

We love our Fit but the 2015 automatic also can no longer be towed four wheels down.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #10

toad

I towed a Jeep Grand Cherokee for over 20000 miles. Push a button and the transfer case is in neutral. The steering unlocks so you take off the parking brake, lock the doors and drive. Never an issue. The odometer doesn't register any mileage either.
oldprof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #11

thanks everyone for the info I appreciated all your help this forum is super better then gone to my dealer for services the are crap here in Ottawa Canada
Old 12-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #12

Smile Ford Escape

As others have said, read the Dingy Towing Guide for general information, then when you are serious about one vehicle, be sure to check the owner's manual for the specifics.

I have towed my 2011 Ford Escape 4x4 over 15,000 miles and it works great, mileage does not accrue on odometer. Simply put it in neutral, go through a sequence described in the owner's manual, and off you go. Follow instructions on having fluid level lowered by Ford Dealer, and you are covered by factory warranty.

In about May 2012, Ford decertified these vehicles for flat tow, so if you get one make sure it is pre that date.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:38 AM   #13

We're towing a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude. It has the transfer case that can be put in neutral by pushing a button. The owner's manual specifically says it can be recreationally towed by following the simple directions for the transfer case in the manual. It weighs about 4,000 pounds and I'm towing it with a 377XL using the Blue Ox tow package and brake system. No problems so far and we like the Jeep.
FroggyRon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad