Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2016, 07:36 PM   #1

Install SiriusXM antenna 378XLF

My new (2016) Georgetown 378XLF has the Pioneer "SiriusXM ready" radio. There are two domes on the roof, forward just over the driver area, that I assume may be for a GPS and SiriusXm antennas respectively.

Couple of questions:
1) am I correct on what those domes are for?
2) is it possible that the XM antenna is already there?
3) if now, does anyone have an idea of how to access those areas?

Or am I totally off base and those domes are for totally different purposes?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161106_102406.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	365.6 KB
ID:	125142  
(formerly 2016 Georgetown 378XLF
Amateur Radio KA5GIL vhf/uhfonboard
CaptainJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:40 PM   #2

Those could be, what I would do is to call them and they will ask you for the s/n or e/n numbers, they will tell you how to go to get it, I believe that you have to turn the dial to 1 and that number should come up. You will be good to go if so.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:44 PM   #3

You might have to buy another plug in modulator or something, I would give a call or if you can't get them you can go to there website and try to activate yourself, the website will tell you have to do that, I did it that way. Good luck.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
You might have to buy another plug in modulator or something, I would give a call or if you can't get them you can go to there website and try to activate yourself, the website will tell you have to do that, I did it that way. Good luck.
Yes, it does require getting the SiriusXM module that plugs into the radio. My question is all about the antenna. I want it on the roof and not just on the dash or stuck to the (very large) windshield.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:18 PM   #5
JBP

I called Forest River in talk to them about the domes the wiring for the XM module is Under the Dome once for serious and once for XM it's wired all the way down to just behind the radio they indicated to me that you remove the Dome. Attach the antenna to the antenna wire. Pull the radio panel off plug the module into the back of the radio attach the antenna. And you should be good to go. I talked to him at the beginning of this week.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:28 PM   #6
JBP

I should have typed the above not tried talking to it. It should have said I talked to Forest River about what was behind the domes. The domes are for the wiring for the Sirius antenna or XM Radio antenna. They indicated that the wires run from the domes down the area behind the radio. Plug in module and connect antenna. I talked to Pioneer the indicated the module was $90 and could be gotten Best Buy. Being module should come with the antenna.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
Old 11-12-2016, 10:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
I should have typed the above not tried talking to it. It should have said I talked to Forest River about what was behind the domes. The domes are for the wiring for the Sirius antenna or XM Radio antenna. They indicated that the wires run from the domes down the area behind the radio. Plug in module and connect antenna. I talked to Pioneer the indicated the module was $90 and could be gotten Best Buy. Being module should come with the antenna.
Hi Jim and Pat -- thanks for the reply. One thing is confusing.
Two domes. Sirius and XM are one and the same. Surely one dome is for that and the other dome for something else, like a GPS antenna.

RV roof is not a good platform for the antenna -- no metal. There is an antenna made for boats that will work better but it's about $80 by itself. Here is a link given me by my local Best Buy (Terk SIRMarine SIRIUS Satellite Radio marine antenna at Crutchfield.com). I wonder if FR said anything about this need to you.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:25 AM   #8
JBP

Captain Justice the antenna for the Sirius radio is a small dome type that should be able to attach to the roof. It may be able to fit in the same place as the dome. One of the domes is for a roof mounted satellite dish. I don't know which is which. Call Nicholas at FR and ask if there is a label under the dome. He may know witch one to go to. Phone 574 206 7600. Let me know I have to add it to mine also.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
Old 11-13-2016, 04:30 PM   #9

My Sunseeker (Class C) came with sirius and the antenna (small sort of square plastic item)is on the fibreglass roof.The problem was when Fr built the RV they blew a staple thru the sirius radio wire. They had to replace it.took em forever to get the antenna.But I went to Best Buy and bought one for 25 bucks.it included the wire about 20-25 ft long.it worked great being on the roof of the sunseeker.
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:32 PM   #10

IMO the center is for the dome and off to the side is XM, most satellite domes are on centre , mine is .
Danesville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:40 PM   #11
JBP

On FR the small domes are up front over drivers seat.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
Old 11-14-2016, 06:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesville View Post
IMO the center is for the dome and off to the side is XM, most satellite domes are on centre , mine is .
I guess that makes sense, but tha center one looks awfully small to be able to house a satellite antenna.

The mystery remains whether there is already a cable run for the XM -- I'm calling FR today to see if they can tell me.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #13
Weekender

I guess that I am just big chicken. There are already enough openings in the roof for me. I added the small square (hockey puck) antenna to my roof by using adhesive. But first I used the aluminum adhesive tape (sold in rolls) and made a small ground plane (about 12" square) on the roof just above the driver. I then used the same tape and rolled it to make it act like double-sided tape. That way the aluminum tape was adhered to the ground plane on one side and the satellite antenna on the other. I then ran the antenna coax over to the side of the coach and ran it under the gutter back to the slide opening. I fed it thru the corner of the slide opening (away from the moving section) and fastened it inside and ran it down the wall (away from view) to the floor. Fed it under the carpet up to the dash where the XM Receiver module was and connected it. Has been there for two years now and never missed a beat. No holes and no interference with the slide. DW had no idea how it was done, had to show her.
Ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:10 PM   #14
JBP

CaptinJustice Here is the response from Forest River. The two domes on the roof are for Sirius radio and one is for satellite. The one over the passenger side is satellite and the dome over the driver is the Sirius radio. Thank you and have a great day!
You were also right when I went back up on the roof mine looks just like the pictures that you attached.
FR confirmed that the wiring for both are under the respective domes.
Have you bought the Sirius modal yet? I was told $90.00 at Best Buy but have not confirmed that.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
Old 11-17-2016, 09:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
CaptinJustice Here is the response from Forest River. The two domes on the roof are for Sirius radio and one is for satellite. The one over the passenger side is satellite and the dome over the driver is the Sirius radio. Thank you and have a great day!
You were also right when I went back up on the roof mine looks just like the pictures that you attached.
FR confirmed that the wiring for both are under the respective domes.
Have you bought the Sirius modal yet? I was told $90.00 at Best Buy but have not confirmed that.
Hi CaptinJustice, Are you saying the cables are already located under the domes? Which would/should mean the connector to the radio should be somewhere behind the radio inside somewhere. Or, are you saying that we have to 'run' the antenna cable. Thanks
RickyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:35 PM   #16
JBP

According to the email from FR the cables are already run from just under the small dome to behind the radio. The cable for the satellite dish is also run from the dome to the cable connection in the over head above passenger seat. I believe it is the one attached to the switch. I have ask if there is a power line behind the dome for the satellite dish dome. Also understand that the dome may just house the satellite connection. It may not be the correct location to mount the dish. Contact FR, Nickolas Hoover at nhoover@forestriverinc.com or call Nickolas at 574 206 7600 to find out. If he does not have the answer I have found that he will get them. I don't have a response yet on that. Many newer satellite dishes only require the coax cable. I don't know about the in-route system.
I will continue to post Nickolas's responses to this form.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
Old 11-17-2016, 06:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyH View Post
Hi CaptinJustice, Are you saying the cables are already located under the domes? Which would/should mean the connector to the radio should be somewhere behind the radio inside somewhere. Or, are you saying that we have to 'run' the antenna cable. Thanks
Well, I'm not saying anything until I pop the dome and see what is there
BUT -- see the post by JBP who has gotten some info.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:15 PM   #18
JBP

I have not removed dome yet either. Waiting for module and antenna.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
Old 11-18-2016, 08:03 AM   #19

I'm afraid to 'pop the dome'...In fact, I don't even like saying it. :-) Do you have to scrape off all the weather proofing to get to it? seems wrong to me. I'll start digging around this weekend when I get my Motorhome back from storage.
RickyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:00 AM   #20
JBP

RickyH there is another thread here that talks about self leveling sealant. It also talks about the best to use. According to FR the dome is there to seal the opening and a place to terminate the cables. I would encourage you to call or email FR. I provided the email and contact. Always double check what you read. I have not put the antenna or module in yet. I am awaiting the equipment. I also can not do it until the wind shield is replaced. It was damage last trip. They will be here Saturday to do the work.
Blue ox and Brake buddy

Tags
378xl, antenna