Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Installed outside TV in storage bin

I decided I needed an outdoor TV. I first found a TV mount at Sam's Club for about $60 that moved out far enough so I could move the TV outside the storage bin, but still get it inside for storage. It took some measuring and figuring, but I finally figured out where to mount the swivel. Because the sides of the storage bins are just plastic, I needed to install something to hold the two large bolts from the swivel mount. I found that an oak 2x2 (1.5 x 1.5 nominal) slid perfectly into the groove on the outside of the storage bin that is made by the "ribs" on the inside of the storage bin. I was then able to drill through the side of the storage bin and into the oak wood. I purchased an amplifier and DVD player at Radio Shack (about $130 for both) and used a $250 TV and $20 speakers from Sears. For less than $500, I have an outdoor TV that the dealer wanted more than $1,000 to install!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0104.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	16401   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0111.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	16402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0110.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	16403   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0112.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	16404   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0106.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	16405  

Old 07-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #2

Nice! Good Job
Md Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #3

Did similar a few months back, I used a light galvanized angle as a back strap as a difference. That is the FR designed A/V compartment, lines up nice with the end of the 20' screen room I hang from anwing for perfect PM tv watching. Nice Job! TV shown is temp, finished with a 20" LED HItachi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TVS.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	16406   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	201
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	16407  
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #4

Looks great on both!! I was wondering what to do there as well, but then stumbled on a 32" TV at Walmart for cheap! It won't fit in the storage area where the TV hookups are, so, I think we'll do the carry-out-and-put-on-the-table-under-the-awning thing until I can think of something else.
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #5

You could alway use an articulated bracket sized for 32/40" set. It would still easily fit in the compartment and many come with a e-z mount where the tv bracket slides/inserts into the fixed bracket with thumb screws to secure. Mine has a large shouldered pin with receiving saddle.

Mounted in the orig a/v cab. Will simplify TV handling. Not sure which GT you have but on our 378 the door retainer strap had to lengthened to accommodate the needed add'l door opening
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #6

On my Coachmen, that storage door is very much like the 378. (The floor plans are very similar, except my TV/fireplace is over by the entry door, instead of behind the passenger seat like on the 378).

I might take the cables out the bottom of that exterior storage area, under the steps, and then potentially have a bracket in the larger storage area to the right of the entry door. If I can get an articulating arm that I can flip up (and still fit that 32" TV that way to store), might be another way to go.

Still toying with what we'll do there and sincerely appreciate the suggestion!
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #7

Wow great mod, nice work!

Next time you need a mount for your TV (or cables for it) check monoprice.com. They have lots and lots of different kind of mounts and are very cheap. But the mounts are good. I'm using their mounts on 6 different TV's right now and I'm very happy.

The mount shown int he first picture would have been less then $30 and probably built at the same factory.

I'm not affiliated with monoprice in any way.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutherl
Wow great mod, nice work!

Next time you need a mount for your TV (or cables for it) check monoprice.com. They have lots and lots of different kind of mounts and are very cheap. But the mounts are good. I'm using their mounts on 6 different TV's right now and I'm very happy.

The mount shown int he first picture would have been less then $30 and probably built at the same factory.

I'm not affiliated with monoprice in any way.
Thanks for the info on monoprice. I was able to find a mount for less than $25, which I saw elsewhere priced at over $60.
alsimmon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #9

I think I'll become a Monoprice client also. Choice and prices are great. Thanx for the info. I'll be tackling an outside TV installation too, and the information in this string will help greatly.

PaulK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #10

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
I replaced the TV in the bedroom of my 2011 378TS with a 26" TV and I used a bracket that tilted in place of the one the 19" Jensen was mounted on. That left me with an extra mounting bracket and TV. I mounted the bracket on the door of the compartment to the right of the entrance door and put the Jensen on that. There was already a 110 outlet in that compartment. I then had to run a 6 ft. coax extension from the hook up in the the small compartment to the left of the entrance door, thru the battery compartment into the one the TV is in. I take the TV off the bracket and store it in that same comprtment until we want to use it and then leave it on the door until we need to travel again. It was a pretty easy job and the whole process, after I installed the other TV, only took about an hour.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #11

Trempert, I have the same rig. What size TV did you use and what do you think is the max size? Thanks...
powellmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Looks to be a 22 -ish
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #13
Tim & Lisa Trempert

I forget. I'm going out this weekend, so I'll try to remember to check.