Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2016, 05:05 AM   #1

Installed steering stabilizer

The front end alignment was a great improvement but I wanted a little more control. I had my alignment shop install a Roadmaster stabilizer. Things that I have noticed is less drift and less push/pull when tractor trailers pass me. I have not put enough miles on it yet to check driver fatigue.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:22 AM   #2

A month ago we had a Safe T steering stabilizer installed in our brand new rig. We purchased our Georgetown in June 2016 Took it out on the 2500 mile trip. Heading back south it was really tough bringing it home. After that trip we installed the steering stabilizer has made a world of difference. We just took it out for a trip for a week over Labor Day. I think the difference was incredible, we still had some wind issues which is always the case here Oklahoma. I think there's always going to be more driver fatigue because you're constantly looking forwards and back and around you. You're moving a lot down the road. I try to just stop and take more breaks, and we explore more often. Best of luck and happy adventures.
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:57 PM   #3

I hate to sound like a broken record but steering stabilizers only mask rear end issues. Add a rear track bar first, then the SS. To be clear, I believe every one should have an SS, just get a track bar as well.
Modmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:01 PM   #4

ModMike, what exactly does a rear tracking bar accomplish? How do I know if I even need one? I haven't noticed any rear issues.
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:12 PM   #5

Just about every F53 has a front track bar but the back will swing back and forth due to the slop in the rear springs and the huge overhang that acts like a lever. This motion is what causes you to have to steer constantly. Have someone drive your rig and stand at the very back, you will see exactly what I mean.

The rear track bar will tie the house portion to the frame, eliminating it's side to side motion when hit by the oncoming bow pressure wave of a passing truck or side wind.

My personal recommendation is:

1) Weigh rig
2) Inflate tires as per tire load tables
3) Do the CHF
4) Install rear track bar
5) Install new Bilstein aftermarket shocks (I am replacing mine even though they are new)
6) Install steering stabilizer
7) Thinking of Summospring Maxims (acts as sway bar, unlike the solos)
Old 09-12-2016, 10:46 AM   #6

With everyone talking about all these changes how much does this effect the ride.. Seem when you stiffen everything up it would ride rougher than a farm tractor..
Old 09-12-2016, 12:32 PM   #7

Not really and maybe....

The shocks are valved differently than the stock shocks. Valving controls the rebound and compression characteristics. In my case, I feel that the shocks are too soft and bottom out too easily.

The one item that may stiffen the feel is the Sumosprings but they act more like an airless airbag than anything else. It is equivalent to putting a sponge between your leaf spring and chassis. At the beginning it will absorb more vibration but as it compresses it will stiffen the suspension feel.

If done right, you essentially change the damping rate of your stock suspension to get better ride characteristics for the majority of conditions, and improved handling when you reach extremes.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #8

Wouldn't adding both the track bar and Sumo Springs stiffen the ride some?
Old 09-15-2016, 08:36 PM   #9

Why can't I order these improvements from the factory ? Why do I have to spend 4 to 5 times more to add them aftermarket ? Would you not add these improvements to your RV for say $2-3000 extra , instead of the extra time and expense of adding after purchase.

Ron & Joanne
Bella The chihuahua
2014 Georgetown XL 377
2007 Jeep Liberty
ron377ts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led