Old 07-19-2016, 10:11 AM   #11

Jim, that's a good idea. I wonder if Progressive will take into account my rig sits in storage from late November to mid April at the earliest and cut me any slack on my policy. I'll have to give them a call. Thanks!

sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:00 PM   #12

You can get a quote from progressive online that asked how many days a year you camp and the insurance is based on that. That is what I did

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:39 AM   #13

Progressive Insurance Potential Problem

I've had progressive two years now. It's time to renew and as I review my policy I see that property damage is excluded if the jacks are in use. I reviewed what was meant by property damage and it seems I'm not covered for fire, lightning strike or otherwise if the jacks are in use. I was surprised and not happy. I'm shopping around now and don't plan to renew this policy. Is this a normal exclusion?
Old 07-20-2016, 05:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyR View Post
I've had progressive two years now. It's time to renew and as I review my policy I see that property damage is excluded if the jacks are in use. I reviewed what was meant by property damage and it seems I'm not covered for fire, lightning strike or otherwise if the jacks are in use. I was surprised and not happy. I'm shopping around now and don't plan to renew this policy. Is this a normal exclusion?
Is your RV a tow type by chance instead of a self contained motorized.?

When I had my 5er, I carried a rider on my Silverado for the trailer and its contents while being towed. Once it was parked and on the jack stands a rider on my home owners insurance covered the trailer and its contents

AAA allowed a treiler to be written up this way and it was really economical to do it that way.

I currently have a rider on my auto policy that insures the motorcycle transport trailer and all of its contents while being towed. The homeowners policy covers the trailer when parked at my residence, and a motorcycle policy covers the motorcycles for theft, etc.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
Is your RV a tow type by chance instead of a self contained motorized.?

When I had my 5er, I carried a rider on my Silverado for the trailer and its contents while being towed. Once it was parked and on the jack stands a rider on my home owners insurance covered the trailer and its contents

AAA allowed a treiler to be written up this way and it was really economical to do it that way.

I currently have a rider on my auto policy that insures the motorcycle transport trailer and all of its contents while being towed. The homeowners policy covers the trailer when parked at my residence, and a motorcycle policy covers the motorcycles for theft, etc.
No, it's a Class A. We're full timing for the next couple months while we are having a home built so we don't have homeowners to fall back on. I thought this was interesting and now am exploring Good Sam to see if they have the same exclusion on the jacks in use. I could just retract the jacks I guess but I like the stability they provide when we are parked (especially long term).
Old 07-20-2016, 06:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyR View Post
No, it's a Class A. We're full timing for the next couple months while we are having a home built so we don't have homeowners to fall back on. I thought this was interesting and now am exploring Good Sam to see if they have the same exclusion on the jacks in use. I could just retract the jacks I guess but I like the stability they provide when we are parked (especially long term).
I live in Michigan and have the insurance on our 2017 MBS 2400SW through AAA. It is an automobile insurance policy and they classify it as a camper or motorhome. with annual mileage 7,500 miles or less

It's not cheap though, but Michigan MY FAULT INSURANCE is some of the highest in the nation what with the $203.50 statuatory assessment, Including MCCA. The MCAA is a fund that we drivers pay into so INSURANCE COMPANIES do NOT have to pay a penny more than $500,000 on a medical claim. We the drivers pay the rest, This assessment is on each and every vehicle licensed and insured,,, and INSURANCE IS MANDATORY HERE IN MICHIGAN.. so currently Murelene and I pay on five vehicles, Her car, my truck, our two motorcycles, and the motorhome. Thanks to the Insurance Lobby we pay an additional $1017.50 yearly so the insurance companies can make bigger profits and you thought your usery taxes were high.

Anyway, here is what our policy includes and the final yearly tab for it
100,000/300,000 - uninsured/underinsured motorists
100,000/300,000 - bodily injury liability
100,000 - property damage Liability
Property protection insurance
500 deductible - personal protection insurance
100 deductible - comprehensive
500 deductible - broad collision
Death Indemnity
30 day - car rental

We do have multiple discounts and a real high insurance credit score so we qualify for AAA premier discount

Yearly price for the policy $1787

Since it is insured as a vehicle, comprehensive covers the vehicle and its contents even when parked.

You may want to do some more research on the policy you currently have to make sure you have a complete coverage plan on that Class A motor home.

Another thing every RVer should research is whether your insurance policy will cover claims and minimum requirements for insurance while traveling in states other than your home state. Minimum insurance requirements vary from state to state, I know I carry enough insurance regardless of which state I may visit.. DO YOU?

Tags
insurance