Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2016, 08:41 AM   #1

Insurance Costs

An often re-occurring question on this and other forums is suggestions on RV insurance for motor homes. I am investigating options on possibly replacing Progressive, whom I've been with since 2012. Since then their rates for me living in western NY state have gone up over 30%. I replaced my auto insurance this past Spring because Erie Insurance's rates sky rocketed too. I was told that companies that had huge pay outs because of Super Storm Sandy a couple of years back are starting to make up for their losses with rate increases. Has anyone heard of or are using ExplorerRV insurance?? I got a rate quote from them via internet that is 37% less than my Progressive Renewal. Not a fan of State Farm, or Geico and the last time I got quoted from Good Sam they were outrageous. Any and all comments and suggestions are appreciated.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:56 AM   #2

Look at Blue Sky. They were the cheapest for us, even at renewal, and have been very responsive so far.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:22 AM   #3

Comparision of Insurance Coverage

Recently, I performed a "search is my friend" on as many threads for insurance as I could find and read ALOT of useful information. I contacted ten or more companies to compare coverage and cost. What I learned:

1. Each state has different rates for each company
Example: The same cost with the same RV with the same person can be different depending on where you live

2. Coverage options vary by company in - age of RV - original owner or not

3. Service from the carrier is the most important, this I found very useful on the "search is my friend"

The best coverage for me was Good Sam:
RV Insurance - RV Insurance Online : Good Sam RV Insurance
My Rate is $434 for 12 months if paid in full – this is the policy that I created

Comprehensive: 1000 Deductible

Collision: 1000 Deductible

Diminishing Deductible: YES

Replacement Cost: YES

Personal Effects: 3000

RV Vacation Liability: 300,000

Storage Option: YES
Timbren & Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
sonic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:28 AM   #4

Many times costs go up because you got older. Most folks don't realize that, but old folks pay more. Just one possibility.

Also, rates vary immensely by region. The above poster had best rates from Good Sam. They were triple, believe it or not, what Progressive was for me.

It is impossible to say, on a web site covering North America, that Company X is the best, in either rates or service.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:52 AM   #5

Geico has great rates if you have other cars on the policy
cbmerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:30 AM   #6

I just stick with Progressive for everything ... house, cars & RV.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:14 AM   #7

Insurance costs what it costs and if you can afford an $85,000 RV or a $60,000 dually, you can't expect to pay the same as if you had a $1500 popup camper, or a ten year old Toyota.

Insurance varies state by state also. Here in Michigan, with the Michigan My Fault Insurance, The state tacks on a $202 a year fee on each insured vehicle, and yes insurance is mandatory here, so the insurance companies only have to pay out $500,000 on a medical claim, the fund pays out the rest.

down in Indiana, insurance is 1/4 the price of what we have here, but, their minimum coverage isn't near what Michigan requires.

I just got my renewal policy from AAA, I have been with them for what seems like forever, why, because no one can come near to the coverage I have for the price I pay.

The reason, Retired, under 7500 miles per year, Safety belt, Premier, Air bag, Multiple car, Multiple product, Anti-theft device, defensive operating certificate (motorcycle), and another discount because of the Corporation my wife works for.

Yes they do offer discounts to the employees of certain major corporations who set up a group policy.

Because of a 760+ insurance score, yes they have insurance scores just like credit scores, we get a 59% discount for that alone.

When comparing insurance companies, make sure you are comparing apples to apples when pricing instead of apples to oranges.

BTW, the insurance went up a bit over last year, remember, insurance companies are not in business to LOSE money, so the more they pay out, the more they have to take in.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:29 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies guys! I called my Progressive agent and asked why the huge increases? He didn't have an answer only to say there are two or three companies out there, USAA being one, that are buying up the market. Being an independent agent he was going to check his other companies to see what he could come up with and call me back. He never did! Talking with my DW we decided we will stay with Progressive for at least another year because they were responsive last year when my awning got damaged. I'm a bit leery of off name companies such as Explorer and how they would act it I needed assistance from them.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:38 AM   #9

It does pay to shop, there is no loyalty with insurance companies. I have been with USAA for 30+ years and they would not cut me any slack (no claims ever other then auto glass) I just switched the TT from USAA (I have four vehicles with them not counting the TT) to progressive and got better coverage at about the same rate. I have a boat with progressive also so they give me multi policy discount.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:23 PM   #10

Another inrance consideration

General Insurance (Good Sam) has competitive rates, but it was the only company that would allow the removal of collision coverage while in storage. That means that the cost is appreciably less for any time the unit is in storage.

We come home from Florida in April and store until June /July. Travel in June, July, August. Store for September, November and December. That means our $775 annual bill ends up costing us about $275 less due to changes in coverage while in storage.

Just something to consider...
Jim Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:11 AM   #11

Jim, that's a good idea. I wonder if Progressive will take into account my rig sits in storage from late November to mid April at the earliest and cut me any slack on my policy. I'll have to give them a call. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2016, 01:00 PM   #12

You can get a quote from progressive online that asked how many days a year you camp and the insurance is based on that. That is what I did
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:39 AM   #13

Progressive Insurance Potential Problem

I've had progressive two years now. It's time to renew and as I review my policy I see that property damage is excluded if the jacks are in use. I reviewed what was meant by property damage and it seems I'm not covered for fire, lightning strike or otherwise if the jacks are in use. I was surprised and not happy. I'm shopping around now and don't plan to renew this policy. Is this a normal exclusion?
DustyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyR View Post
I've had progressive two years now. It's time to renew and as I review my policy I see that property damage is excluded if the jacks are in use. I reviewed what was meant by property damage and it seems I'm not covered for fire, lightning strike or otherwise if the jacks are in use. I was surprised and not happy. I'm shopping around now and don't plan to renew this policy. Is this a normal exclusion?
Is your RV a tow type by chance instead of a self contained motorized.?

When I had my 5er, I carried a rider on my Silverado for the trailer and its contents while being towed. Once it was parked and on the jack stands a rider on my home owners insurance covered the trailer and its contents

AAA allowed a treiler to be written up this way and it was really economical to do it that way.

I currently have a rider on my auto policy that insures the motorcycle transport trailer and all of its contents while being towed. The homeowners policy covers the trailer when parked at my residence, and a motorcycle policy covers the motorcycles for theft, etc.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
Is your RV a tow type by chance instead of a self contained motorized.?

When I had my 5er, I carried a rider on my Silverado for the trailer and its contents while being towed. Once it was parked and on the jack stands a rider on my home owners insurance covered the trailer and its contents

AAA allowed a treiler to be written up this way and it was really economical to do it that way.

I currently have a rider on my auto policy that insures the motorcycle transport trailer and all of its contents while being towed. The homeowners policy covers the trailer when parked at my residence, and a motorcycle policy covers the motorcycles for theft, etc.
No, it's a Class A. We're full timing for the next couple months while we are having a home built so we don't have homeowners to fall back on. I thought this was interesting and now am exploring Good Sam to see if they have the same exclusion on the jacks in use. I could just retract the jacks I guess but I like the stability they provide when we are parked (especially long term).
DustyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyR View Post
No, it's a Class A. We're full timing for the next couple months while we are having a home built so we don't have homeowners to fall back on. I thought this was interesting and now am exploring Good Sam to see if they have the same exclusion on the jacks in use. I could just retract the jacks I guess but I like the stability they provide when we are parked (especially long term).
I live in Michigan and have the insurance on our 2017 MBS 2400SW through AAA. It is an automobile insurance policy and they classify it as a camper or motorhome. with annual mileage 7,500 miles or less

It's not cheap though, but Michigan MY FAULT INSURANCE is some of the highest in the nation what with the $203.50 statuatory assessment, Including MCCA. The MCAA is a fund that we drivers pay into so INSURANCE COMPANIES do NOT have to pay a penny more than $500,000 on a medical claim. We the drivers pay the rest, This assessment is on each and every vehicle licensed and insured,,, and INSURANCE IS MANDATORY HERE IN MICHIGAN.. so currently Murelene and I pay on five vehicles, Her car, my truck, our two motorcycles, and the motorhome. Thanks to the Insurance Lobby we pay an additional $1017.50 yearly so the insurance companies can make bigger profits and you thought your usery taxes were high.

Anyway, here is what our policy includes and the final yearly tab for it
100,000/300,000 - uninsured/underinsured motorists
100,000/300,000 - bodily injury liability
100,000 - property damage Liability
Property protection insurance
500 deductible - personal protection insurance
100 deductible - comprehensive
500 deductible - broad collision
Death Indemnity
30 day - car rental

We do have multiple discounts and a real high insurance credit score so we qualify for AAA premier discount

Yearly price for the policy $1787

Since it is insured as a vehicle, comprehensive covers the vehicle and its contents even when parked.

You may want to do some more research on the policy you currently have to make sure you have a complete coverage plan on that Class A motor home.

Another thing every RVer should research is whether your insurance policy will cover claims and minimum requirements for insurance while traveling in states other than your home state. Minimum insurance requirements vary from state to state, I know I carry enough insurance regardless of which state I may visit.. DO YOU?

Tags
insurance