Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2017, 09:39 AM   #1

Insurance info

Looking for some feed back re: Good Sam Ins
I have been with Progressive for yrs but their rates have gone off the charts.
I'm looking at Good Sam @ Borden RV ins.
Good Sam has a slightly better rate but the person I spoke with seemed like just a pushy salesman.
Borden folks were nice and helpful.
For those of you that have either of these I'd just like some feedback before I pull the trigger.
Have Good Sam & Borden rates escalated every year even without a claim?
How were they if you had a claim?
I have a 08 359 XL.

Thanks.
Pkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:07 PM   #2

I just switched to Good Sam's Insurance this month and saved myself over $500 a year from GEICO and got better and higher coverage.
Good Sam's Insurance is actually National General Insurance.
I have a 38ft motorhome and it was costing me over $1,100 a year with $500 deductible full coverage $15k/$40k/$15k

Now I get $500 deductible Full coverage $50k/$100k/$50 with full glass replacement for $557 a year

If you want the contact I had who really spent the time with me over two days and sent me a few quotes until I decided on the one I wanted.

Daniel Ocasio
Licensed Sales Agent
216-592-7171 and leave a message for him to call you back if he doesn't answer. Don't speak to anyone that picks up for him.

Mention "John I from Surprise, Arizona" referred you.

He asks a lot of questions to get you the lowest rate possible.
Any accident, tickets, how many days a year you use your, etc. Paying in full gets you a bit off. Using a check acct and not a credit card gets you even more off, If you are retired military or law enforcement gets you a discount. So As you can see you have to talk and ask what else is there in discounts. I'm happy.

I also can call when I don't use my motorhome at all while it is in storage.

Make sure you get a quote emailed to you before you finalize so you can verify exactly what you are getting.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:16 PM   #3

Thanks Iggy. I'll do that tomorrow. I'm in NC.
Pkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:19 PM   #4
JBP

Same here just switched to Good Sam (Safeco) I believe is the underwriter . Also saved about $500.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:21 PM   #5
JBP

I would also ask about glass breakage. I think with this group there is no deductable.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
Old 02-22-2017, 10:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
I would also ask about glass breakage. I think with this group there is no deductable.
Yes. I have No Deductible for Glass breakage.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:14 PM   #7

Does anyone have experience with either Gas or CN roadside assistance insurance?
We are planning a trip through Canada to Alaska have concerns about roads. Any reply will be helpful.
J1BCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:39 PM   #8
JBP

Good Sam is what we have and very pleased with them.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
Old 02-25-2017, 09:28 PM   #9

We were with Blue Sky...but with them no longer staying with this coverage we had to switch. Right now it is looking like we will be with Safeco. We will see, hopefully they work out.
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:05 AM   #10
JBP

Safeco did not work out for us. They changed their quote. Good luck.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
Old 02-26-2017, 03:29 PM   #11

HookupandGo.... We have BlueSky. What coverage did they stop?
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:04 PM   #12

. interesting. we have progressive for both vehicles and the 5th wheel. rates are going up. just had geico do a quote to compare against progressive and it was basically equivalent. just went to the rv show in phoenix a couple of days ago and stopped by the good sam insurance booth. they wanted to make a quote and I was really surprised. it was about the same as progressive was charging for the two vehicles but the good sam quote also included the 5th wheel. with progressive you need two policies, one for vehicles and one for the 5th wheel. plus they claim the following benefits that progressive does not have: liability coverage for the 5th wheel (progressive says to use you homeowners to provide this), they will drop collision on the 5th wheel while in storage, and if you have a claim involving both the truck and 5th wheel there is only one deductible (progressive requires a deductible for both vehicle and trailer policy).

i'm going to give them a good look. what I don't know is whether once you get a policy are you actually dealing with the carrier organization (national general) or the good sam organization. my guess is that good sam is just a marketing organization and really has to involvement once the policy is written. what have others experienced?
Old 02-27-2017, 09:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
. interesting. we have progressive for both vehicles and the 5th wheel. rates are going up. just had geico do a quote to compare against progressive and it was basically equivalent. just went to the rv show in phoenix a couple of days ago and stopped by the good sam insurance booth. they wanted to make a quote and I was really surprised. it was about the same as progressive was charging for the two vehicles but the good sam quote also included the 5th wheel. with progressive you need two policies, one for vehicles and one for the 5th wheel. plus they claim the following benefits that progressive does not have: liability coverage for the 5th wheel (progressive says to use you homeowners to provide this), they will drop collision on the 5th wheel while in storage, and if you have a claim involving both the truck and 5th wheel there is only one deductible (progressive requires a deductible for both vehicle and trailer policy).

i'm going to give them a good look. what I don't know is whether once you get a policy are you actually dealing with the carrier organization (national general) or the good sam organization. my guess is that good sam is just a marketing organization and really has to involvement once the policy is written. what have others experienced?

Interesting, I spoke with GS insurance at GS RV show in Phoenix too and all he did was give me a phone number to call. Didn't make me feel comfortable with GS.

Brandi
mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:53 AM   #14

I spoke to s lady (Maggie) at the good sam insurance booth. she had a computer and took all my info (drivers license, address, age, etc) and put it into the computer. she came back with the vehicles I had (two cars and the trailer), current insurance policy with limits, and driving / claims history (even going back to the insurance company we had previously). she asked a few questions and had a quote prepared that we discussed. even had the quote emailed to me right then which I saw on my phone's email. actually I was impressed and even more impressed with the price ($1000 less annually than I am paying to progressive)! my only real concern is how is good sam as far as service and support afterwards and is this a bait and switch where they will raise prices at renewal time. realize that they are totally an online company and there will not be a local agent that you can contact.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:22 AM   #15

I would like to offer a strong word of caution on this discussion. I have family in this business.

To discuss on an National and International Message Board which is the 'best' or 'cheapest' insurance is almost impossible. Company A rates State X one way and State Y another. Company B does it just the opposite. Company A may not insure the trailer's contents, but expect that to come out of your homeowners insurance. Company B may offer separate contents coverage. Company C may offer disappearing deductibles. The rates for the exact same coverage in two states WILL be different from the same company.

It is almost impossible to take the advice (well intentioned though it is) of anyone who just bought from Company A in State X, because if you are in State Y, the differences might be immense.

Not to even mention that a 50 year old's rates are far different than a 75 year old. And the increase due to age also varies greatly by company by state.

Not to mention your driving record, or your spouse's.

And NONE of that even discusses how well the claim process works!

Please be careful in comparisons.............

My two cents.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:28 AM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

We switched to Good Sam a year and a half ago.
We saved several hundred dollars for the same coverage, line per line.
I was holding my breath at renewal. No claims.

Our rates went up a whoppin' $2.
Yes, two dollars!
We are happy so far.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:32 AM   #17
Site Team

I was pleased with progressive through 2 blowout claims. But they priced themselves out of my loyalty range.
Went to Good Sam, National General, and had a no fault claim. Took them 4+ weeks to get an adjuster to come see the damage. $10,000. They paid well since the other party wasn't insured. Then rates went up pretty good.
Switched recently to gieco. Rates were only slightly higher. But they have local adjusters and good reputation in this area.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360true View Post
HookupandGo.... We have BlueSky. What coverage did they stop?
He may be talking about this letter I received this afternoon.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:35 PM   #19

Also have progressive insurance for my tow vehicle (GMC Sierra 2500) and Fifth wheel Camper (Palomino Puma 253-FBS). While at the Hershey PA RV Show, received a quote from Good Sam for insurance that was higher than my current premiums.

Just a suggestion, if your credit score has improved, try to purchase a new policy. When I purchased a new policy for both my tow vehicle and trailer, I went from limited to full tort and reduced my deductions to state minimum ($100 for PA), and still reduced my payments by over $500/yr just for the GMC Sierra.
cgotto1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:24 AM   #20
Happily Retired Member

Good Sam Insurance also allows layup mode when the motorhome is in storage, saves a lot of money

2013 Ford Escape on Landgrebe tow dolly
Mickeystamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance