Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #1

Intellpower convert inverter hookup

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about getting a 2k watt inverter for my RV. I was thinking that I might be able to hook it up to the battery connector point since one is free on the converter. When I'm driving down the road I would unplug the AC power from the converter and plug the shoreline power into the inventor. This way the people in the back can power their electronics and run the microwave and coffee maker. The batteries should remain charged because the alternator would be recharging them. Has anyone done something similar to this?
vlevesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #2

Not sure which rig you have. Ours came with an inverter from the factory to allow the residential refrigerator to be on while on the road. It has two 110 outputs and only one used for the fridge. When I get a chance I'm going to run wires to allow an ac plug inside the coach (probably in the kitchen area) to be used while on the road. I wouldn't run power hungry items through it though.

Our coach has three batteries. One for the engine, and two for the house side. The two for the house side are the ones that feed the inverter. I'd have to go out and see how it's wired, but I'm not sure the engine's alternator feeds the two house ones. I think those are maintained through a 110v charger that runs on shore or gen power.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #3

I do believe that anytime the engine is running all three batteries are being charged.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlevesque View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about getting a 2k watt inverter for my RV. I was thinking that I might be able to hook it up to the battery connector point since one is free on the converter. When I'm driving down the road I would unplug the AC power from the converter and plug the shoreline power into the inventor. This way the people in the back can power their electronics and run the microwave and coffee maker. The batteries should remain charged because the alternator would be recharging them. Has anyone done something similar to this?
I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you proposing connecting the output of the converter to the input of the inverter? If so, it won't work. There is no output from the converter unless you're on shore power. Even if there was, a 2000 watt inverter draws 166.6 amps DC. Way more than most converters output. An inverter of that power should be installed directly to the house batteries using 4 gauge or larger cables.
On the other hand, if you are talking about plugging your shore power cable into the output of the inverter, that's also not a very good idea. Way too much current draw from your coach's AC electrical system for a 2k inverter.
I would wire a smaller inverter directly to the house batteries for the electronics and when it's time for the high power items (microwave, coffeemaker), start the generator.
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #5

I just went out and verified with a multimeter that the batteries charge under all conditions (engine running, shore power, or generator). The battery control center takes care of switching between sources. That's good to know because that means that your residential refrigerator will not drain your batteries while on the road.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #6

There are two outputs for pos and neg. I'm assuming they are bridged together and not independent. I wouldn't be running the converter but just tapping into the lines coming from the battery. I don't know what gauge wire is coming from the batteries. I have a 2015 335 DS and the house batteries are right below the living are slide out making it difficult to run and cables directly into the coach. I'ld have to run them all the way back to where the converter is now.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
Denver, CO

Note that a 2 K inverter needs VERY large gauge wire, and if you have that wire gauge from your batteries to the dist box, there should be no problem. I'm guessing that you don't tho.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #8

Quote:
There are two outputs for pos and neg. I'm assuming they are bridged together and not independent. I wouldn't be running the converter but just tapping into the lines coming from the battery. I don't know what gauge wire is coming from the batteries. I have a 2015 335 DS and the house batteries are right below the living are slide out making it difficult to run and cables directly into the coach. I'ld have to run them all the way back to where the converter is now.
I doubt they are large enough gauge. You'll risk burning up the wiring.
I would suggest more research before you try anything.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #9

I'll have to check the size. They might be a 6 or 8 gauge wire. Maybe 1k would be better then. I will just have to shutdown breakers to things I don't need.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoulwv View Post
I doubt they are large enough gauge. You'll risk burning up the wiring.

I would suggest more research before you try anything.

Yes, I don't want to be a rolling fireball.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #11

Just remember the formula Watts / voltage = amps. 2000/12=166.66 1000/12=83.33 and so on. Make sure your wiring can handle the current draw.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #12

Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #13

That and stay as close to the batteries as possible.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #14

How about buying a cigarette lighter inverter like this http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...ter%20inverter and start your onboard generator to power the microwave and coffee maker when needed. Just a suggestion.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #15
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012WhiteSolera View Post
How about buying a cigarette lighter inverter like this http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...ter%20inverter and start your onboard generator to power the microwave and coffee maker when needed. Just a suggestion.

Best idea yet.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #16

Your batteries are running in parallel, meaning that the output is still 12 volts but the capacity doubles. Make sure you connect the inverter to the correct poles so that you can benefit from both batteries. Here is a sample picture. Disregard the AH (amp hours).

Here is some good reading for installing an inverter:

RV Inverter Install: Four Different DIY Methods to Get off the Grid
Old 01-01-2014, 09:06 AM   #17

We have one of the cigarette lighter inverters. I plug that in then run an extension cord back to where the kids need power for their electronics. Get a decent one that also has the usb plugs as well (then you can use that for phones/gps/etc).

Like the others have also stated, we then just run the Gen for the micro or coffee maker. Since we are in FL, we usually have the gen running anyway for the AC, only real exception is winter.
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:35 AM   #18

I just bought the Bestek 300 watt inventor from Amazon. It has two outlets and two USB ports. Hopefully it does the trick. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

FYI

Power Inverter Wholesale,Car Power Inverter Supplier,Inverter For Laptop
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:02 PM   #20

Quote:
I'll have to check the size. They might be a 6 or 8 gauge wire. Maybe 1k would be better then. I will just have to shutdown breakers to things I don't need.
6 or 8 AWG is much too small unless your inverter will be within about 2 ft. from the batteries.

Plugging the shore cable directly to the inverter output will work fins so long as you always remember to turn off the converter. I wired mine that way, and all was well until the day I forgot to turn it off. The batteries ran down real quick.

I ended up connecting the coil of a normally closed relay to the inverter output. Then I used the contacts to interrupt the power to the converter. Now, turning on the inverter automatically turns the converter. To monitor the state of things, I wired a red neon pilot light across the relay coil, and a green on across the converter.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, power