Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 07:31 AM   #1

Interior lock mod and upgrades

Seeing as I couldn't get out this long weekend I spent some time working on some upgrades and mods. The first thing I was asked to do by my wife and daughters was to add locks to the bathrooms. We often bring their friends and there was a potential for some unfortunate moments.

I don't understand FRs choice of round door handles. They are against code in my area because they are difficult to open with hands or if you suffer from arthritis. Seems to me that would be 2 common conditions in a motorhome.

I went down to the local home reno store and picked up 2 lowish cost lever handles with privacy lock, in brushed stainless steel. Installation was straightforward except for having to enlarge the bolt hole using a Dremel. It didn't take long but be careful not to over enlarge it because the new bolt needs to be tight to function properly. Be careful not to make it too tight or you will crack the door when you insert the bolt.

Despite their low cost they are a huge improvement on the stock ones:

I also installed a lock on our master sliding door. I puzzled over it for a while when I happened upon a wider version of the hardware already on the door. Installation is easy but follow these steps to get all the heights and distances correct.

1) Measure the existing lock height from the top of the door

2) Install the wall side latch at the same height as your door and right up against the trim. The 2 left screws into the solid wood behind the panel.

3) Take the latch pin part and latch it with the door closed. Check your heights and while pushing the door closed tightly, screw in the right side. If everything went according to plan, at least 2 screws should be in solid wood. There will be a gap because of the top trim. If that bothers you, install a brown D shaped EPDM door seal.

The last step is to install the latch holder on the very left. This will secure the pin while traveling to avoid rattles.

I'm pretty happy with the way it came out, looks factory installed:

Old 07-02-2016, 10:04 AM   #2

How does one with hand issues lock and unlock that little button?
Does it unlock when you push down on the lever?
Don
Old 07-02-2016, 10:45 AM   #3

As long as you can unlock the bathroom door from the outside in an emergency.

Locks on RV bathroom doors are not there for a reason. It can be deadly having a lock on the bathroom door. It is code and a product liability issue. Also keep in mind code for homes and RVs are two totally different things.

A lock on the RV Bathroom door is a BAD idea.............................................. ...

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Old 07-02-2016, 01:35 PM   #4

So let's remove the main door lock as well. We should also call all the airlines and tell them to remove their bathroom door locks :rollback:

The reason round door knobs are against code is because they are harder to open because they require traction and grip. Younger kids and people with hand issues have difficulty opening then and they are considered a safety hazard. They are also a pain to open with when wet or slippery.

The picture you see is from the outside of the door. You can open the door from the outside by twisting the centre part with a coin fingernail, whatever. There is a similar centre part on the inside that you twist to lock.

I have seen the ones that automatically unlock when you use the handle but these don't have that feature.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:13 PM   #5

Airplane toilets and outside RV doors are comparing apples to oranges not even close to being the same..............................

It is a matter of safety that there was no door lock. A child or any person can die if they can not operate the lock on the inside of the bathroom.. Code requires no lock. With no AC it becomes very hot in an RV bathroom....... someone may not be outside to help.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 07-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #6

A young kid that cannot operate a lock cannot operate a round door knob either. Locking bathroom doors are standard equipment, I had them on my trailer. It also seems to be standard according to these guys:

http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/Global...t#.V3gZT_T3aJI

In any case, I don't want to argue the absurd so I'll leave it at that.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:12 PM   #7

For those interested on more:

There is a reason RV manufacturers do not put locks on bathroom doors. I am just trying to prevent another death.

Yes you can buy them doesn't make it right.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1246649

You choose take the risk or not..........................

Everyone have a happy and safe 4th................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 07-03-2016, 01:50 PM   #8

Locks yea na

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
For those interested on more:

There is a reason RV manufacturers do not put locks on bathroom doors. I am just trying to prevent another death.

Yes you can buy them doesn't make it right.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1246649

You choose take the risk or not..........................

Everyone have a happy and safe 4th................
How many confirmed deaths in the past ten years caused by getting locked in a bathroom?? I'm afraid you,re on the wrong side of this issue.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #9

I will be installing locks on my bathroom doors this weekend. Consider me a rebel.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:16 PM   #10

Not a rebel but if a child dies I feel for you.......................... I'm sure you are the one to drive a child without out a safety seat in a car as well.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 07-03-2016, 02:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
How many confirmed deaths in the past ten years caused by getting locked in a bathroom?? I'm afraid you,re on the wrong side of this issue.
No but in the 1980s when locks were installed on RV bathroom doors from the factory and were common it was an issue........ We were with in minutes of loosing our son because of it........ the RV tech had to take the bathroom door off the hinges of a new RV he was red and in serious trouble. Now only locks on the doors are added later so harder to know.

I am on the side of saving a life.........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 07-03-2016, 02:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I'm sure you are the one to drive a child without out a safety seat in a car as well.

No but I did raise my daughter to use common sense and think for herself, thanks for your concern. She is 5 and has more common sense than most adults.

We are talking bathroom door knobs here, most of which open and unlock automatically with a turn of the knob, not a double keyed dead bolt for !^#_÷ sake. I'm sure the ducted AC into the bathroom will make her struggle figuring out the complexities of entry and exit comfortable at least.

Some people need a warning label for everything.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #13

Everyone do what you want........ my point is there is a reason the locks are no longer on RV bathroom doors they where they were at one time years ago. A small child may be in your RV when you are not, a child a grandchild, a neighbor, a friend.

The RV may not be in use, they know what a bathroom is but may not know how to get out. It may be 95 degrees............. you may find then when its too late.... We nearly lost our son he is going to be 28 in a couple weeks ........ I am so glad to say that instead of he would have been.......... we were too close....... If we had not been right there......... It only took a few minutes to get up well over 100 degrees........

Please don't be the one that says it won't happen to me it is not possible I talk to those people all the time........ I guess it comes with investigating accidents and fatalities.

Argue I don't care just trying to save someone the heart ache.

I do feel like the people telling people not to leave their child in a hot car......they still do it anyway............ its the same...........

Please have fun don't ruin your vacation or your life.....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 07-03-2016, 03:17 PM   #14

If my son was stuck in an RV bathroom it would take exactly 5 seconds for me to get in. Either foot through the door or just pulls the door off. I'm sure as hell not going to wait for someone else to show up to get him out. This is why a McDonald's coffee cup has to say "contents may be hot"!
Old 07-03-2016, 03:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddupton View Post
If my son was stuck in an RV bathroom it would take exactly 5 seconds for me to get in. Either foot through the door or just pulls the door off. I'm sure as hell not going to wait for someone else to show up to get him out. This is why a McDonald's coffee cup has to say "contents may be hot"!
But what if you were not there. The tech was there with in a minute or less.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 07-03-2016, 03:28 PM   #16

Then pardon me for saying but Why the hell were you or someone else not with him? This is why we have to have warnings on everything. People, really, come on wake up.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:29 PM   #17
Boondocking Only

Very nice mods & well done. I have done similar mods with outstanding results.
2010 F250 Lariat 6.8 V-10 w/Timbren SES
Custom Tunes by 5 Star Tuning
Boondocking Only
Old 07-03-2016, 03:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddupton View Post
Then pardon me for saying but Why the hell were you or someone else not with him? This is why we have to have warnings on everything. People, really, come on wake up.
If you are referring to me, the DW, Myself and other DS and a salesman were all in the camper at the time with him.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 07-03-2016, 03:37 PM   #19

I think we are all too modest. Remove the door. Problem solved.

Life is good.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 07-03-2016, 03:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubya View Post
I think we are all too modest. Remove the door. Problem solved.

Life is good.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Like that !!!!!! Thanks !!!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Closed Thread

Tags
upgrade, modifications