Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2011, 10:23 PM   #1

Inverter and batteries

I have the Xantrex 1100 and when driving down the road I want to use my inverter but I have found that my batteries are not being charged.
1. Should the alternator charge the coach batteries while the coach is in motion when using the inverter?
2. Can I run the generator to charge the batteries while the inverter is still on while in motion? Note- I do not have a switch inside to turn the inverter on and off. The switch is outside in the storage bay so while in motion I cannot turn of the device.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty View Post
I have the Xantrex 1100 and when driving down the road I want to use my inverter but I have found that my batteries are not being charged.
1. Should the alternator charge the coach batteries while the coach is in motion when using the inverter? Yes. Need to start checking why not.
2. Can I run the generator to charge the batteries while the inverter is still on while in motion? Note- I do not have a switch inside to turn the inverter on and off. The switch is outside in the storage bay so while in motion I cannot turn of the device. Yes, but why would you want to do that? If you are running the generator, simply plug into the 120VAC outlets.
I think you first need to start checking your 12VDC electrical system to determine why the house battery is not being charged while you are driving down the road.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:09 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
X2 coach needs to charge rv section batteries or how do they charge? My truck pulling my travel trailer even chargers rv battery

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:10 AM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I don't believe the coach batteries charge from the alternator. The coach batteries are charged off the converter or in my case the Inverter when I'm plugged in to shore power. I have 4 coach batteries and expecting the alternator to charge all of them as well as the battery for the engine is more than it's capable of doing. If those batteries charged off the alternator then they would also draw power from the engine battery when not pulled in and using any 12 volts or the Inverter. Eventually if not recharged the engine battery would get pulled down and then you're calling for a jump start.The only way the coach batteries and the front battery are connected is by the Assist Switch on the dash. If your engine battery is dead, you push the switch on the dash and it pulls power from the coach batteries so you're not stranded. This is a momentary switch only. I have first hand knowledge of using the coach batteries to start my engine. My engine battery has to be replaced, one dead cell and it wouldn't crank over until I pressed the switch.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #5

Sorry Charlie, I have to disagree (respectfully). There is a device called an isolater which separates your house batts from the engine battery. That way the house batts can never draw down the engine battery. Also, the house batteries do charge from the alternator when you drive otherwise, how would you ever charge your batteries when you spend extended time dry camping without using our generator..Every mh I have had has charged the house batteries while driving. Unless FR has done something dumb to save a dollar, ours should do the same.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

5th wheel input here, so if I am off base forgive me.

I thought in a MH that all batteries (house and starting) are managed by a battery control center (BCC). That Center houses the isolators, monitors charging state, and contains the momentary relay previously mentioned.

I have a couple of manuals and wiring diagrams here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Battery Control Center.pdf (400.2 KB, 194 views)
File Type: pdf Georgetown Battery Connect Center 113174 1 OF 1[1].pdf (318.6 KB, 227 views)
File Type: pdf rv custom products SD1070001[1].pdf (1.34 MB, 122 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

If we assume for a minute that the engine battery is charged from the alternator only, just as with any automobile battery charging system, I'm still at a loss as to why anyone's engine battery might become depleted or dead while camping.
If the ignition key is turned off while camping, why would the engine battery even become drained? (assuming tail/marker/headlights are off)
What creature comforts are needing the ignition key on?
Isn't the living area of the motorhome which requires 12 volts powered by the coach batteries under the stairs?
Aren't the coach batteries recharged by shoreline power?

Just asking because I guess I don't understand the operation of the two systems.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkatronron View Post
Sorry Charlie, I have to disagree (respectfully). There is a device called an isolater which separates your house batts from the engine battery. That way the house batts can never draw down the engine battery. Also, the house batteries do charge from the alternator when you drive otherwise, how would you ever charge your batteries when you spend extended time dry camping without using our generator..Every mh I have had has charged the house batteries while driving. Unless FR has done something dumb to save a dollar, ours should do the same.
Hey no problem I wasn't 100% sure. The PDFs Herk posted, I've never seen before, and I'm now stealing them by the way, shed some light on the scheme of things. Thanks to all that contributed the info, now we have something to look at with the information from FR.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 05-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Here's a link that pretty much explains how it all works.

RV Battery

Scroll down to the Batteries and Battery Charging. All the info is there.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 05-20-2011, 05:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
I think you first need to start checking your 12VDC electrical system to determine why the house battery is not being charged while you are driving down the road.
When I do not use the inverter while in motion the coach batteries are getting fully charged. It's when I use the inverter while in motion the coach batteries are depleted.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:23 AM   #11
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty View Post
When I do not use the inverter while in motion the coach batteries are getting fully charged. It's when I use the inverter while in motion the coach batteries are depleted.
Which Xantrex Inverter do you have? Is it isolated to a couple circuits? Does it have a charger in it as well? How many betteries do you have? Are you running the fridge on propane or 120 volts? You may be using more power than the alternator is producing to recharge the batteries.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 05-20-2011, 06:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Which Xantrex Inverter do you have? Is it isolated to a couple circuits? Does it have a charger in it as well? How many betteries do you have? Are you running the fridge on propane or 120 volts? You may be using more power than the alternator is producing to recharge the batteries.
I'm a novice so very limited here on this electrical stuff. I have a prosine 1800 it does not have a charger in it (learned that after I purchased), I have two batteries, and fridge is always on propane while in motion. I normally have only the tv on when using the inverter and the in motion sat. The DVD player, direct tv box etc., power lights are on but not being used. By the way, this was a Camping World install, so that could be my problem too. I am taking it to Jim Donnies in Glenn Bernie on Tuesday to see what's up?
Old 05-20-2011, 07:06 AM   #13
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Could be the problem. I had problems with mine at the start. The installation was part of the problem and the Inverter was the other. Xantrex replaced the Inverter under warranty when 1 side lost all power. I had to by-pass it while on vacation in Ocean City. We came back from the beach to find half of the coach was dead. Good luck, let us know what they find.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 06-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #14

378ts charges coach batteries while engine is running. I know this because the slides would not go out & the dealer started the engine for 20 minutes to charge rv batteries so the slides would run in & OUT when we first looked at it on the lot.
CanadianRVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #15

Absolutley correct. The alternator charges the deep cycle batts when the engine is running.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #16
RV Newbie

Good thread.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #17

I have a Berkshire and seem to be having the same problems were the house batteries are not charging. I had them at 10V recently. I by passed the invertor thing outside and was able to charge them so we think we have a bad wire feeding the invertor however I'm no expert here. I turned on the Gen and ran a ext cord from the outside AC outlet to the invertor. I unhooked the wire feeding it and wired them into the invertor which made everything normal and it then charged the batteries. I took it to by dealer and by the time I got there everything was ok again and batteries were charged. They played with it for a day and could find nothing wrong. It's been about 2 weeks now and things still ok. Any thoughts ? Thanks Ron
Team Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #18

Have you checked the water level in the batteries recently???
Old 07-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #19

Yes I have and water levels are fine. The problem is no power is going to them to charge them.
Team Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #20
RV Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Wilhelm
Yes I have and water levels are fine. The problem is no power is going to them to charge them.
Did you check the 30 or 40, I forget, amp fuses inside the power center? I think you need to remove the front panel to get at them.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery