Old 05-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #1

Inverter Instal on a 2005 342, What Fun!

It looked like a simple job; flick an inverter and an extra Group 27 battery in one of the storage bays, directly below the power panel. The convertor is already in this bay, so no long runs of heavy gauge wire.

I had to remove some of the expanding foam that F/R is so fond of using to get the 12/2 wire from the inverter to a switch and pull a piece of zip cord for the power switch for the inverter.

I installed a 4x4 box in the kneehole for the makeup table (computer desk!), removed the wire from the 20-a "outlets" breaker, and fed it to a single pole,double throw switch inone side of the 4x4 box. I installed a separator in the box, and installed the switch to turn the inverter on in the other position of the box.

All I'd have to do to activate the inverter and isolate it from the rest of the coach was to place both switches in the down positiuon, after assuring that the reefer was locked in the "propane" position. The 1200-W PSW inverter couldn't handle the reefer and all the other stuff.

Now for the fun! Somehow, I remembered that the converter is also wired to this same breaker, and that you shouldn't use your batteries to charge your batteries! The 12/2 wire from the converter comes from the surface-mounted single outlet, goes into a piece of wire-guard with another 12/2 and a few 12-V wires, and goes up to the area beneath the breaker panel in the drawer base, next to the makeup table.

So far, an hour and a half, and three or four skull divots, I have been unable to positively identify which wire in this bundle (a lot more are added and looped together under there!) I have a feeling that they end up somewhere behind a wall in the bathroom in one of those famous F/R hidden j-boxes.

This morning, I'm just going to run a new 12/2 from the outlet to the water heater breaker, and wire nut the existing ones.

It's a real jungle under there!

BTW, the extra battery is to eliminate startup surge, as well as giving us an extra 110 A/H of jizz. The house batteries are on the other side of the coach.

1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Pictures would be nice.

Here are a few of the mod in my 5th wheel. I created a "battery room" instead of just a battery box when I added the dual battery setup; inverter; shunt for the battery monitor system (TM-2025RV); relocated the slide out and landing gear fuses; and added a kill switch for the front landing gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper 005.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	14479   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper 001.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	14480   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper 003.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	14481  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #3

Very cool Fred. Same things I encountered. The inverter I bought is also a charger. So I left the old converter in place and just unplugged it. So I've got another way to charge the batteries if I need it. Seemed silly to me at the time that the fridge and converter where on the general "outlets" breaker. But it sounds like your rig is the same as mine.

The fridge isn't so bad. If I know I'm going to be driving all day I can let the fridge run from the inverter. The inverter pulls about 40 amps of 12VDC to run the fridge and other parasitic loads. Nothing the alternator can't handle.

I also second what Lou said. Post some pictures of your install. We'd love to see it!
Old 05-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutherl View Post
Very cool Fred. Same things I encountered. The inverter I bought is also a charger. So I left the old converter in place and just unplugged it. So I've got another way to charge the batteries if I need it. Seemed silly to me at the time that the fridge and converter where on the general "outlets" breaker. But it sounds like your rig is the same as mine.

The fridge isn't so bad. If I know I'm going to be driving all day I can let the fridge run from the inverter. The inverter pulls about 40 amps of 12VDC to run the fridge and other parasitic loads. Nothing the alternator can't handle.

I also second what Lou said. Post some pictures of your install. We'd love to see it!
Virtually impossible to picture! Most of the wiring is under the drawer set beside the bedroom vanity (my wifey calls it), and the rest is in the bay between the genny and the plumbing (dump, fill, etc.).

I just installed a board in the bay to spread the weight of the Group-27 Battery, installed another board to mount the Go-Power 1200-W Sine Wave inverter vertically, and installed the 4x4 box under the "vanity".

I can't see where any pics would help anything, but after I get over the cramps, divots, and bloody elbows, I'll post whatever I think may help.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #5

Yea, I never did post any picture of my inverter install. Same thing, there isn't all that much to see. I'm also a little bit embarrassed about how I mounted the inverter. It didn't come out as nice as I'd have liked it. On the other hand I'm proud of how the sub-panel came out.

I'll get some pictures up here eventualy.

Still the inverter is my favorite of the upgrades I've done. I use it more than anything else I'd done to her.

Tags
led pad