Old 06-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #1

Inverter Install

has anyone installed an inverter that is wired right into the 120v panel in the coach, so it runs all the outlets in the coach ?

i have seen this done on several TT's/5'ers and i want to do it on my G'town....

just wondering if any out there have done it....

Front & Rear Roadmaster Sway Bars
Koni Shocks
Front and Rear Sumo Springs Jounce Replacement
willingtonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:36 AM   #2

I don't see why not with enough batteries and an inverter that can handle it all.

Not sure it's all worth it if you have a generator.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #3

A big inverter is not very efficient for powering a small load. For powering a big load, such as the microwave oven, you would want at least 4 batteries. Like a generator, the inverter size needs to be matched to the load you expect to use it with.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:34 PM   #4

I have installed an Xantrex ProSine 2000 along with 4 Trojan T105 batteries in my GT 373

I love having the inverter. It makes boondocking a lot quieter.

It is a bit of a pain since my batteries are on the passenger side in the middle under the steps and the breaker box is at the back on the drivers side.

Since you want the inverter as close to the batteries as possible I had to snake 10 gauge 3 conductor wired from a new 30 amp breaker on the panel to the inverter. Then another one back to a new sub breaker panel (from a boating supply store) where I moved all supply wires for the inside outlets.

I left the dryer outlet alone and use it for a space heater because I don't want to ever run the heater off the inverter.

Here is a description of all of the mods I have made to my RV
Jennie and Stuart on the Road: Life in Our RV Index

Stuart Norman
---
2009 GT 373
2000 Honda CRV
Old 06-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #5

My system does the entire coach. I started with incorporating an additional ATS. The problem I ran into was that then I had both my solar charger and the coach charger. It worked but I did not like the idea of two chargers.So I changed the design by adding a receptacle in the shore power bay. I now plug into that receptacle after turning the coach charger off. Eventually I will do a relay that senses the inverter output and then open a relay that supplies power to the battery charger.

As far as the comment above that uses 10 gauge, use at least 2 and preferably 0 . The larger the gauge, the less loss.

Since I am generating (solar) and spend long times boondocking, I have to worry about losses
Old 06-13-2014, 01:41 PM   #6

I installed a 1000 watt inverter. It has an off button similar to the one that was already installed to run the frige. I installed it right next to the batteries. I ran an extension cord underneath to the fuse panel under the bed. That is plugged into a transfer switch exactly like the other one installed by the other inverter. That way when I turn on the gen or plug in the shore power it doesn't draw from the inverter. That switch is wired into the fuse that says entertain. It powers many of the 115v outlets and the TV's.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1402681047.534532.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	780.3 KB
ID:	55119

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1402681253.882780.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	763.6 KB
ID:	55122
Old 06-13-2014, 05:58 PM   #7

Just to be clear, when I said 10 gauge that was for the 30 amp 120 volt AC lines to and from the inverter.

I used 0 gauge between the batteries and the inverter.

My Xantrex inverter/charger and Tristar solar charger seem to play together. I did have to adjust a setting on the Xantrex so that it didn't complain when it saw the higher than normal voltage from the solar charger.

Stuart Norman
Old 06-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #8

I figured as much after I hit send. I used 8 gauge SOW. But I ran mine to the receptacle. Best part of the whole deal is that I got to add a hydraulic crimper to my toolbox! I even use in for my smaller stuff now
Old 06-14-2014, 12:22 PM   #9

Thanks for all the posts and pictures. I continue to work through how I am going to get this all done. First step is to get my solar panels on the roof and the charge controller and trimetric monitor installed. Then I will start the inverter. Will post up some pics of my own when I start. Time is hard to find right now and it is driving me crazy that I have not started yet.

Front & Rear Roadmaster Sway Bars
Koni Shocks
Front and Rear Sumo Springs Jounce Replacement
willingtonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #10

One quick comment, be careful of the inverter"neutral" many times the inverter doesn't really have a true neutral. Instead, the so called "neutral" has 60 volts on it when referenced to ground. The "hot" has 60 volts on it. Thus 60+60=120. If you don't use a transfer switch that also swaps the neutral, you may get 60 volts on the neutral of the shore plug. Read the inverter directions carefully. If they warn you NOT to ground the neutral, its going to have voltage on the neutral. I found out the hard way, it was a healthy shock!

I recommend that you use a transfer switch, make it a manual two pole switch, or an automatic switch that switches the hot and neutral.

BTW, I simply put a shore outlet in the compartment that houses the shore cable. When I leave for a trip, I just remove the plug from the house outlet, and plug into the camper outlet. No questions about proper isolation. I have a remote for my inverter, thus just hit a button to turn on the 120vac.

Tags
inverter