Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Is it worth it?

Got some detail folks coming over Wednesday to do a hand wash, dry, and wax on my 351ds. 1st time to give this a try, myself an son have done it the last couple of times. Got a quote of $200.00 for the entire job. No pressure washer, all hand/brush wash and micro dry. I have requested the wax to be a coat of NuFinish. Hopefully this will work and become a yearly service. Old adage, you get what you pay for, hopefully this will have a happy ending.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
Got some detail folks coming over Wednesday to do a hand wash, dry, and wax on my 351ds. 1st time to give this a try, myself an son have done it the last couple of times. Got a quote of $200.00 for the entire job. No pressure washer, all hand/brush wash and micro dry. I have requested the wax to be a coat of NuFinish. Hopefully this will work and become a yearly service. Old adage, you get what you pay for, hopefully this will have a happy ending.
Yes it is worth it once a year.
I usually get mine washed and waxed on my annual trip south of the border in Puerto Penasdco Mexico. $1.25 a ft for a wash and wax.

So for $200 for your 35 ft mh you should get a good job.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:53 PM   #3

When I was younger I would do anything - - because I could.
Now, I think "Why spend money on a floor jack and jackstands to change my shocks when I could pay someone the exact same amount to do it for me?"
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:19 AM   #4

I just paid $400 yesterday to have a water heater installed (in my house). Work's been busy, I have a bad back and I had a bunch of other stuff to do. In ways it killed me to pay that much but in a way I've never been so happy to spend it.

There's a lot of value in just picking up the phone and having something done. No going to buy parts/supplies, screwing it up because you don't know what you're doing (thinking more of my water heater here ), time spent doing it, other things you could get done while said project is being done, etc, etc.

I've cleaned my TT before and it's a PITA. I don't think $200 is bad at all for a thorough job.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #5

On my 2011 GT 378 TS I have the full body paint with clear coat and was told it was not necessary to wax it.
buddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
Always Learning

Heck, I offered my father-in-law $200 to was my 42' fifth wheel.

(He said yes, and then somehow talked about me helping... I'm a little confused!)
Old 05-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyu View Post
On my 2011 GT 378 TS I have the full body paint with clear coat and was told it was not necessary to wax it.
Your 378 was painted at the same place as my 378' at Mikes Custom Painting and if you received your warranty information packet on your paint as I did on mine you might make note of the care and maintenance of their paint. What to do and not to do on hand washing, waxing right down to bug removal (use windex with ammonia and lots of elbow grease, nothing harsher on bugs). A hand wash and wax job is required to maintain the warranty. Did you register your warranty with them? I think not.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Your 378 was painted at the same place as my 378' at Mikes Custom Painting and if you received your warranty information packet on your paint as I did on mine you might make note of the care and maintenance of their paint. What to do and not to do on hand washing, waxing right down to bug removal (use windex with ammonia and lots of elbow grease, nothing harsher on bugs). A hand wash and wax job is required to maintain the warranty. Did you register your warranty with them? I think not.
I got lots and lots of paper work with my 378 but nothing on pant. I would have thought the ammonia would be hard on the paint. Do you know what brand of paint was used?
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Well the detail folks have come and gone. Got here around 11:00am and left around 4:00pm. They did a terrific job. Hand washed, dried, and waxed. The coach looks better than it did when I picked it up new. Best $200 i ever spent and they will have repeat business from me and any recommendations I make.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #10

I wash mine about every 2 weeks even when it justs sits. also I wax it 3 times a year or more... I try to wash the day before we leave on a trip and then I can wax at the campground while the kids and wife are in the back playing xbox...I know ..... they just dont do it all the time

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Now that makes me nervous because I too did not get any paperwork about my paint job. I just bought some bug remover, combo wash/wax and a soft bristle brush to was with. Fortunately I have not used any of them!!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #12

About a month ago I posted that I had my MH washed and waxed (Meguire's liquid wax) for $74.00 ($2.00 a foot) at my local car wash in Apple Valley. Great job, looks good! And was so easy, I never broke a sweat! Mine to, looks much better than when I picked it up new.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #13

Here is a brochure I got on Mike's website. Damn I am glad I did not use some of the products I bought. Now I have to find out about my warranty!

http://www.mikescustompaintinginc.com/ProperCareRVBrochure.pdf