Old 04-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
Is steering a Georgetown difficult?

Do you feel steering a Georgetown aon the Ford Chassis is?

Difficult to stay in lane?

Difficult in windy conditions tp drive straight?

Easy and steeris with little effort?

Do you have any front steering modifications?

The reason I ask is that the other day while driving one it seemed difficult to maintain in my lane. That was not the one I'm buying but just wondered was it me or the rig?

2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 49,000 miles
(2013 - 98 days) (2014 - 117 days) (2015 - 67 days) (2016 - 115 days)
USAF Retired - MSgt

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member
First time I ever drove anything that big was the day we picked it up. It's a bit overwhelming at first but it's like anything else it's no big deal after you do it a couple times. Driving in windy conditions can be real difficult especially crosswinds. That big ole box isn't aerodynamic at all. I added air bags to help with the rocking as the big rigs go by. It doesn't seems to wander much but that really depends on the roads. Some are crowned too much and it wants to ride to the low side. I haven't added any front steering mods but I've seen on here where some have. They can give you better insight to that.

2007 Georgetown 370TS

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
For the previous 3 seasons I would have told you it's not overly difficult, but certainly requires attention. Last year I had to replace my front tires, badly worn at the outside edges. I had the front end aligned and it was way out. It came from the factory that way. There have been quite a few posts about Forest River not doing an alignement after building the house on the chassis.

After the alignment it's like night and day. Very easy to drive now. I wish I had done it years ago.
Ron Hanson
2009 Georgetown 350TS (bunks)
400W solar, 440AH 6V GC2
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
Just parked it back in the yard.

I find my Georgetown very easy to drive and navigate. Crosswinds can be problematic, as they were with my Sunseeker. I have not done any modifications however I am considering adding airbags, this year front next back.

I did have it aligned recently after returning from a FL trip.

Well back to the table, next trip May Gettysburg.
Bill M
2012 Georgetown XL 360
2011 Chevy Equinox - 2006 Chevy Avalanche
Bill m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
The first time we took out our 350TS was a 130 mile trip to Oceanside in Jan of 11'. As I was hooking up the toad the sky went dark and as we left the rain and wind came. So here we were in the dark with heavy rain, and strong winds for our first time in a MH (previously had a 5th). It was a white knuckle ride with the wind and the rain in the dark. After two more trips I learned to relax and found it is not too hard to drive, though the wind does push it around some. Staying in the lanes is not a problem. I am thinking of putting on a set of air bags and also have been thinking of some type of steering stabilizer (anybody out there tried one of these?). If I do I will let you know the difference.
concours14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
It's a subjective question, as it depends on what you were driving before. After driving a small (27 foot) Winnebago P-30 chassis with a relatively high L/WB ratio for 19 years, my new 29 foot Georgetown is much easier to steer. The Winnie, even with air bags and a steering stabilizer, made driving in the wind an exhausting experience. The Georgetown, although not perfect, has already shown better stability in crosswinds. No modifications, and I still am unsure about eventually adding airbags.

Gary Shapiro, 2011 Georgetown 29' Class A
Dash, Molly & Lily - now at the Bridge and forever in my heart
Shadow - 4-year-old Greyhound
Hannah - 1 1/2-year-old GSD rescue
dashonthedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
After driving an F350 pulling a 39ft Montana 5th wheel, the Georgetown was an experience but after a trip it two I got used to it, now it's a piece of cake. You'll Love it. Have fun and enjoy your new rig.
tetsurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
When my Georgetown was new I had my front end checked and the alinement was off.
I contacted Mike Burns (now John Armstrong) at Forest River he asked me to have it alined and send him the bill. They sent me a cheque. I think everyone should check it when new. I think when they build a house on the Ford frame it changes the alinement.
I still feel strong winds but you get used to it. I do try to avoid driving in real strong winds.
2012 Georgetown 378TS Fire Mist
2008 Honda Fit
ReadyBrake™ Surge Brake System integrated with ReadyBrute™ Elite RV Tow Bar
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #9
I agree with the above posts. On our first trip with the 378 we encountered squall like conditions with rain and 25-35mph crosswinds. I was ready to trade back for our previous F250 and Montana. However, under nomal conditions I find it not too bad. Still not as easy to handle as the 5th wheel rig, but not too bad. I've got over 5000 mi on it now.

I still wish the brakes took less pedal pressure. It has always seemed to me that they take 2 or 3 times more pressure than they should. The dealer tells me they are pretty much the same as other similar units. I do find that using tow haul mode makes it way easier to slow down. I've wondered if the diesel rig's air brakes are more confidence inspiring?
ohiobill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #10
Just got back from our trip to Disney(2,000 miles) with our 320DS. On windy days we got tossed around pretty good. Also, on heavily traveled truck routes we could feel quite a bit of sway when being passed by big rigs. I also noticed that she likes to wander a bit due to the slope of some roads. A lot of this is due to the smaller tires we have I'm sure. Once getting used to all of this I've come to find it a relaxing ride. I am finding the driver seat to be cheap, and very uncomfortable though.

10Isola is offline   Reply With Quote