Old 12-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
2Susan, if that's a picture that you took, you really need to consider entering it in the "Living the RV Lifestyle" photo contest on the FROG website, www.forestriverfrog.com.
Thank you - yes I snapped it just this week after the school bus collected the children. I tried to upload it just now. It is pretty here - magical really.

When we go camping in the winter and head south, we fill the water tanks when it gets warm enough. Then on the way home when it gets too cold we drain the system and blow it out with a compressor.

days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:44 PM   #12
Oklahoma Proud

What a awsome/beautiful pic!!!

Old 12-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

WOW that is really beautiful!!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #14
Anacortesians

At 32 degrees F, water freezes. From there on down it just gets more obnxious. I'm happy that we rarely see overnights below about 25 F, and it's even rarer to not have the following day be in the high 30s/low 40s.

In the 13 years we've lived in Anacortes, we've only had two winters when the snow hung around for more than 3 days before it melted, and 6 years when we didn't get any at all.

Suits us just fine. The climate is a lot like the very southwest of the UK and the area of France across the Channel from there. We're originally from further north in the UK where the climate was a bit less manageable.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #15

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
At 32 degrees F, water freezes. From there on down it just gets more obnxious. I'm happy that we rarely see overnights below about 25 F, and it's even rarer to not have the following day be in the high 30s/low 40s.

In the 13 years we've lived in Anacortes, we've only had two winters when the snow hung around for more than 3 days before it melted, and 6 years when we didn't get any at all.

Suits us just fine. The climate is a lot like the very southwest of the UK and the area of France across the Channel from there. We're originally from further north in the UK where the climate was a bit less manageable.
Sounds wonderful! What a beautiful area you have ... Google tells me you are roughly 13 hours from here....
Old 12-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Susan View Post
We are in Alberta (over Montana) so we hadn't thought about heading to the east coast but Williamsburg does sound fun. I'm not sure we have enough time for such a long trip. We've figured out we need to allow extra time for snow / ice delays.
How embarrassing . I thought I knew geography better & just went off on a wild tangent without thinking. You are right, it is much too far to drive with so much to see & do on the West coast.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Susan

We're trying to figure out where to go for Christmas break. Disneyland was a huge mistake on Christmas - it's their busiest day!
What a beautiful Xmas pic!
Old 12-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
How embarrassing . I thought I knew geography better & just went off on a wild tangent without thinking. You are right, it is much too far to drive with so much to see & do on the West coast.
Nope you aren't geography impaired at all - it's a great idea. I am not sure we can fit it into the winter time frame is all. We did a Boston / PA / NH / Mass trip summer before last and it was great fun (well except for the little generator issue in Iowa).

My concern too is that while summer travel times are fairly predictable (you can make 500 miles a day a goal or 10 hours of driving e.g.), Winter dictates a fudge factor of staying overnight because the pass is closed or traveling 30mph because of snow or wind. That's allowing an extra day or two on the return from a So-Cal trip but I'd probably allow more if further away to be sure to be back in time for work and school. That shortens the time at the destination.

I'm not yet to the point of using the blindfold and stabbing the road atlas with a ball point pen method though!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #19

very nice photo you've posted 2Susan (you didn't, by chance or design, get one without the MH, did ya ?

a couple of interesting "things" (or not) about temps - celsius vs fahrenheit :

minus 40 celsius = minus 40 fahrenheit

and these two "flip-floppers" help me do quick mental conversions of c to f, or f to c (I interpolate for temps between) :

16c = 61f
&
28c = 82f

.....Bill
Old 12-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
very nice photo you've posted 2Susan (you didn't, by chance or design, get one without the MH, did ya ?

a couple of interesting "things" (or not) about temps - celsius vs fahrenheit :

minus 40 celsius = minus 40 fahrenheit

and these two "flip-floppers" help me do quick mental conversions of c to f, or f to c (I interpolate for temps between) :

16c = 61f
&
28c = 82f

.....Bill
I didn't take one without the motor home because well then I would have had to go get the keys (not already in my pocket) and take it off the jacks and back up - which would have meant moving the pick up behind it and mostly because it didn't occur to me! I do have other pictures taken that morning though, just not that exact spot. I never heard the flip floppers before - cute!
I knew -40f = -40c - we experienced that last winter.