Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2019, 02:59 PM   #1

Jack down flashing

I am about to take the coach out for the state inspection after parking for 5 months. After retracted all slides, then jacks, the "jack down and rear light" are flashing. Check the jacks, all jacks retracted properly.

On the last trip in January, after parking at one RV park for a week, when I moved out, it acted the same way, but after driving for about 100 to 150 miles and some steep uphill, the light went out and worked properly. Since it may be coincidently working properly while I drove uphill, I thought that maybe the hydraulic was lacking fluid, I did add one quart of fluid to the reservoir.

For the rest of the trip until I got back home everything works fine without any problem. When I got home, I did test the system by putting the slide out, jack up, then repeat again a number of times to check the system, it works fine. Then I left the "jacks up" with all slides retracted for a few months while I am traveling to Asia. Today I need to take the RV out for the state inspection and it acting up again.

Have any idea, please advice.

Note that this happened once when I just bought the RV new for couple months, FR and LCI replaced the whole pump and valve unit and it works fine for the last 10,000 miles until this January, then today.

I did check the LCI manual, it said the cause may be lacking fluid which I think mine is fine. The second would be the pressure switch, does anyone have any of this problem, have anyone replaced their pressure switch?

Thank and
Tam Le
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:33 AM   #2

I just completed a quick test, I am not an expert, however, with simple logic, I think that I found the problem is in the "pressure switch".

Ordered the switch direct from LCI for $150 plus $15 shipping, should be on my hand in few days, will see if this would solve the problem. Should not take more than 2 minutes to install the switch.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:41 AM   #3
Coach

Keep in mind that hydraulics are a sealed system. If you're having to add hydraulic fluid, there is likely a leak in the system somewhere.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyduo View Post
Keep in mind that hydraulics are a sealed system. If you're having to add hydraulic fluid, there is likely a leak in the system somewhere.
Thank you, you are right.

However, there is no leak in the system. I added the fluid to the reservoir 5 months ago because I thought that I need more than what is shown in the reservoir, the fluid level still the same since and I did check around, there was not any sign of hydraulic fluid dripped anywhere, extra fluid in the reservoir should not hurt the system, I just want to make sure that I have enough fluid to eliminate one of the possible cause of the problem.

Now the fluid problem is on the side, I tested the pressure switch and seems to me that is the cause, therefore I had ordered a new one to hope that would fix the problem. If it does, I may want to go ahead and order another one for spare, I just do not want to deal with this type of problem while on the road.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:59 AM   #5

Problem SOLVED...

The pressure switch arrived late yesterday, just installed it now and the problem fixed. All operation is back to normal.

After all, said and done, the total cost was about $165 bucks with 5 minutes of my time. I found other vendor sold the part cheaper around and cost $120 bucks. I will order a spare for "just in case". The one that I had on the system lasted 2.5 years, hope this one would last longer...

https://www.camperid.com/lippert-com...75378606814099

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you have a problem with the sensor switch in the middle of travel, you could just unplug the pressure switch connection, all alarm will go away and the system would act normal, the pump will not run, the pressure will hold as is assuming that you do not have any problem with leaking fluid within the system. However, to make sure that the jack does not drop down suddenly while you drive, it will not, but just for safety, make sure that tie them up with some sort of buckle for safety. Stop and check the jacks and slide often during the first couple hundred miles to ensure that all work well. Once got to your destination, you need to order the switch right away and replace it. It is very easy to replace, you need 1-1/4 wrench or a large crescent wrench. All it takes is about 5 minutes. You can do it yourself.

Good luck and have fun RVing.

Have a great 4th of July!

Chao,
Tam Le
Old 07-05-2019, 12:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamdle View Post
Thank you, you are right.

However, there is no leak in the system. I added the fluid to the reservoir 5 months ago because I thought that I need more than what is shown in the reservoir, the fluid level still the same since and I did check around, there was not any sign of hydraulic fluid dripped anywhere, extra fluid in the reservoir should not hurt the system, I just want to make sure that I have enough fluid to eliminate one of the possible cause of the problem.

Now the fluid problem is on the side, I tested the pressure switch and seems to me that is the cause, therefore I had ordered a new one to hope that would fix the problem. If it does, I may want to go ahead and order another one for spare, I just do not want to deal with this type of problem while on the road.
My 2017 does this after it sits for a while. I retract all and it seems fine. No leaks either. Where is the pressure switch located? Can you take a pic of it installed?

Never mind...I found it...is it easy to remove and replace?
Old 07-05-2019, 02:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
My 2017 does this after it sits for a while. I retract all and it seems fine. No leaks either. Where is the pressure switch located? Can you take a pic of it installed?

Never mind...I found it...is it easy to remove and replace?
Mine happened the same, if I have the coach setup for a week or longer with the jack down, the hydraulic would caused the problem. Not sure what was the issue. I will see if this would happen again.

It is great that you found it, I post the image anyway just in case someone does not know what and where that is... The image shows as the hydraulic system were removed from the coach, however, you do not need to remove it to change the pressure switch, I have to remove it because we have to switch out the unit 3 years ago.

http://www.letranphotography.com/mai...20location.jpg
Old 07-05-2019, 02:12 PM   #8

Sorry, for some reason, I can not insert an image from this forum, I have to use the link for the image of the pressure switch and its location.

http://www.letranphotography.com/mai...20location.jpg