Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2014, 12:30 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
The consensus is not to use the leveling system to lift the coach, but I see at least one coach in every campground we go to on a site with either the front or rear wheels off the ground.

So, I guess what I am saying is, it can be done, but it is not recommended.
I see that all the time to. I do not understand there thinking, If your wheels need to lifted off the ground, why don't they put blocks under it then let the pressure off the system?
__________________

__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
The levelers on my 2014 Georgetown is rated at 8,000 lbs each.
For just changing a tire is no biggy. I would try and put some wood under the jacks front or rear whichever tire you plan to change and go into manual mode and raise the front or rears as needed.
I can't understand why you all say it can't be done for a short period to change a tire unless you have a leaking hydraulic system which is another problem.
I understand your point, but I'm not saying it lippert is. In fact when lippart put new breaks and hubs on my unit at the rally they used it to pick the unit up enough to put stands under it then let them off.
__________________

__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Ford Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I understand your point, but I'm not saying it lippert is. In fact when lippart put new breaks and hubs on my unit at the rally they used it to pick the unit up enough to put stands under it then let them off.
Not the first case of "Do as we say, not as we do" from a manufacture.

I guess as a temporary use such as what you posted would be okay but I would be uneasy with it.
__________________
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Not the first case of "Do as we say, not as we do" from a manufacture.

I guess as a temporary use such as what you posted would be okay but I would be uneasy with it.
Your correct, you can twist a light weight frame or any frame pretty easy, then you are talking big bucks. I had my unit serviced at a dealer and he said a piece of cake he has jacks where is the control panel, I said no you don't, go get a floor jack.
__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:29 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Campin Cajun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cut Off, La.
Posts: 1,830
And just for comparison, I saw two Newmar Mountain Aires at a campground lift their front wheels off the ground while set up. I did notice that the hydraulic rams are 3 times the size of mine.

I believe they have the HWH systems also.
__________________
2013 Berkshire 390BH
Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:16 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
chrisbailey13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I see that all the time to. I do not understand there thinking, If your wheels need to lifted off the ground, why don't they put blocks under it then let the pressure off the system?
I have been at more than one CG where my MH has had to have the front wheels off the ground to make it close to level. Because the GT's don't have air bags in the rear, sometimes the front Jacks have to be extended to that point just to get level.

I was at one CG that was so bad, I had to ask the host for a new site because my front jacks ran out of lift before the coach was level.

Seems like I remember reading in one of the books that came with the Coach that they DO NOT recommend using the leveling jacks for maintenance on the vehicle.
__________________
2014 Georgetown XL 352QS
2013-2017 Days Camped-215
chrisbailey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:39 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 258
I wonder if they don't recommend the use for maintenance because of the liability... There is no safety redundancy if one of the lifting jacks happens to fail...I mean if you don't have a jack what are the chances your going to have the right size jack stand...

To be honest I'm not sure I would trust a 3 or 20ton jack that some tow truck operator has rolling around in the back of his truck for the last 3 yrs...I have seen tow truck operators throw jacks on the ground and proceed to change a tire...while stopping every few minutes to jack the car back up because the jack was leaking and letting the car come down..Plus the idea of jacking 10tons up off the Pumpkin is another Story... Seen a few of them buckle/dent under the weight....I would like to see all that weight spread out over a bigger area...or several points of contact....
__________________
2010 Georgetown 300FWSSouth Florida
speedjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 258
Quick question...Has anyone ever experienced/or know of a catastrophic failure of the leveling system that dropped the Rv..
__________________
2010 Georgetown 300FWSSouth Florida
speedjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:24 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 114
When we had a tire issue on the road, and again when we had the wheels balanced, the levelers were used the raise the unit. To avoid torquing of the frame or other issues, the entire front was raised evenly, not just one wheel.

That was on a 335.
__________________

__________________
Jim Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tire

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 AM.