Old 06-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #11

Actually, most paperwork you get with new TT's nowaday's don't really give you much info.

camper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Originally Posted by camper007
Actually most paperwork you get with new TT's nowaday's don't really give you much info.
Which is why a good dealer that gives a great pdi is worth its weight in gold.

And of course frf!

Free one year subscription to all that sign up today!

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #13
Actually i found that the paperwork i got with my 2012 Forest River didn't give me a whole lot of info. on anything.
camper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #14
We bought our pop-up used and it had a nice folder with ALL info in it.
When we bought our NEW trailer the info was loose, the first thing I did was make a folder for ALL the info. I include ALL the paperwork for everything, including anything that we have bought for it. IE: coffee maker, toaster, alarm clock, sway bars if it had paperwork I have it filed.
Al and Deb
Sarge, Sugar and Ginger
2006 Silverado "Predator"
2011 Greywolf 26rl "Wounded Wolf"
camped 2013 94 days 2014 24 days

nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
The most amazing thing to me, most of the questions asked by new owners, especially about an appliance, are answered in the appliance manual, that should have come with the trailer. If not, most are readily available online. Now, what is amazing, they take the time to do a search on the internet. They find this site, and maybe more. They spend time signing up, username, etc. Then they post their question in one or more forums. They may do this on other sites also. Now sit and wait a day or two for an answer. What is amazing about all this? How long does it take to read the manual???
Could have had an answer in less than 30 minutes, with only 10% of the effort, and not burned any electrons in finding the they wanted. Oh well, life goes on.
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #16
Most of the paper work I received with my camper is simply filed under "G". This forum is the best source of information I have found. The fact that the same question may get asked several times doesn't bother me in the least. In fact, the second or third time asked, it offers more information and on some occasions, it may even be the "correct" answer. Everyday, there are new members joining the forum and it takes time for them to learn how to navigate the site and get the answers to their problems. Be easy on them and me as well. We may not always possess the skills that other members have, but we try. Give us credit. After all, isn't one of the purposes of this site is to be helpful and friendly. Not always feeling the love here.
Lily the Yorkie
2015 Dodge Ram Sport 1500
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #17
Best advice I can give a new owner, whether you're buying used or new, video tape the walk-through! I actually asked the people that bought my last motorhome to bring a video camera and film me doing a walk-through just so I could eliminate some of the phone calls from them calling and asking me questions. It's pretty simple to have anything burned onto DVD nowadays and almost all RVs have some form of DVD player in them so it can be a very helpful tool for first time owners.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #18
Alleged curmudgeon
Which begs the question...

The problem is not unique to motorhomes, although it is no doubt more aggravating as price increases.

People are what they are and the market is what it is. While many of us here will do so, most people absolutely won't read manuals or directions. And no manufacturer wants to cater only to "sophisticated" buyers, as the market would be too limited. There will always be newbies (and a need for answers). My sense is that a lot is expected of dealers, as they are the only "human" contact which buyers have in the process, which places them in a tough spot. The dealer will often fall short due to limited expertise, the fact that purchaser expectations are very high, and the obvious reality that there are so many demands on their time. How much time will or can a dealer willingly dedicate to walk-thrus when there are lines of customers stacked up screaming for delivery and a constant flow of others seeking advice and repairs of units already delivered?

This results in purchasers receiving wildly variable (and largely inadequate) degrees of detailed instruction from their dealers in PDI walk-thrus. That is the nature of the industry, so why would not Forest River just produce a DVD "walk-thru" to provide a reference resource to foster a better understanding for its customers? Let's face it, almost NO DEALER is going to do a sufficiently detailed job to equip a novice owner with the information required to effectively and competently operate his new purchase, unless that dealer is forced to do so by the purchaser (and only purchasers who do not really "need" that degree of detail know the right questions to ask anyway).

So, for example, in a world where Forest River can only produce a "generic" travel trailer owners manual, wouldn't it be smart to at least supplement that with the visual aid of at least a "generic" walk-thru on DVD showing the basic operations of TT's (appropriately qualified with "these may vary slightly for your specific unit"), to aid owners in developing the necessary competencies and familiarity without so much confusion and so many mistakes?

If there is there a Forest River channel on YouTube which does this already which I have not yet seen, then I apologize, but this seems like a pretty obvious need to me.
2013 Windjammer 3008W
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0L w/Equalizer 4
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Thumbs up

Shamless plug for our new Files section available to all members

Feel free to add manuals that you believe are useful.
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #20
I agree that manufacturers could REALLY be helpful if they would just produce a couple of generic video CDs and provide to customers during PDI... but IMHO suspect their lawyers would find a reason to object.

In my quest to locate this type information, I found YouTube videos (approx. 6 parts each) made by RVW:
  • 2010 Rockwood Roo
  • 2011 Rockwood UltraLite

2012 Ford F150 4x4, 5.0L, 3.55
2011 Rockwood MiniLite 1809s
E2 WDH 600/6000lbs
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote