Old 06-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
Just an Observation.

It strikes me that a great deal of money is spent on the purchase of an RV but it is apparent from many of the posts I see on this site as well as other RV industry sites that a lot of folks have no idea of what they have or how it works and really don’t have any interest in learning until something is broke or malfunctions.

When we purchase an RV (our first was in 1969 this one in 2011) I take all the literature on systems, appliances, warranty information, etc., and make a file for it all. In today’s environment, with the Internet, it is very easy to register all of the different warranties and download any missing manuals and service information on the net. Then I read it!

After you have read the literature and you still don’t know or understand then ask an informed question not the typical “anyone know how this works” type thing.

JimF, CWO, US Army Ret, 100% DAV
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2008 Dodge Caliber Toad
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Right on target

tetsurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
Missing Link
Yup I keep all the original manuals in the tt so there always there if needed. Which came in handy first trip out with new unit. And I went online to register all appliances and downloaded manuals onto lap top for use when home.
2014 Puma 30-DBSS
2014 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 6.4L
cyclepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
Just a reflection of the general population.
No different that those who buy a car and don't know how to check the oil, and never think about checking the tire pressure.
And with the internet so handy, much easier to ask someone a dumb question that actually expend the energy to open a manual and do something for themselves.
Kindof sad really.
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
Agree the above, however on a seperate branch of the same uninformed tree have you inventoried your instruc. books provided by the vendors? Any idea of how the Lippert control system computer works? or even where it is? Same for the fridge, the chassis and all its complicated sub systems. Used to be many years ago when you spent this much equivilent money, you received enough documentation you could at least troubleshoot it. Theres more info in a SLR camera book than this complex machine!
I'm also in a Georgetown 378 and lovin it, learning it as we go. Just to prove a point, how do you adjust the stops on the electric Windshield shade? No fair if you've been on line already, I mean as delivered.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
And I have learned that some people should never own a RV.....
Mainly because they don't know how to screw in a light bulb correctly.
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 49,000 miles
(2013 - 98 days) (2014 - 117 days) (2015 - 67 days) (2016 - 115 days)
USAF Retired - MSgt

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
IMHO. I believe its poor dealer to customer relations.
Someone with a proper pdi should understand how everything works and what to look for if it doesn't.
How many times does a new thread like these hit the forum
1 where's the switch for my hw heater?
2 why do I only have warm to cold water from my hw heater?
3 how do I drain my fw tank?
4 whats this switch for?
5 how do I manually slide my slides?
6 what are these two hoses for?
"Low point drains"
7 why is my battery dead? There's nothing on!
8 I turned my fridge on 4 hours ago and its not cold?
9 wheres my water pump?
10 wheres my water filter?

ALL these THINGS should be covered in pdi.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
One of the best things on the internet today is youtube, You can find out anything you need to know on there. Sure there are some crack pots on it but you can figure them out and find people who know what their talking about.
hkreck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
YouTube & this forum have both been great resources for me as I did not have the benefit of a PDI.

The 2011 Rockwood was my first TT (not counting the PU). Thanks for everyones patience and willingness to help!
2012 Ford F150 4x4, 5.0L, 3.55
2011 Rockwood MiniLite 1809s
E2 WDH 600/6000lbs
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
Agreed, I just spent the last couple of hours greasing my wheel bearings. Like many of you on this forum I can afford to pay someone to do this but I prefer to do it myself. I get peace of mind knowing it's done correctly and also teach my two boys a valuable skill. You gotta get your hands dirty!

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote