Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #1

Just bought 2013 Georgetown 351DSF

Hi all,

This forum is great. Just bought a 2013 GT 351DSF. Our first rv was a 2008 Winnie C 31j. We loved it but out grew it. We have 3 young kids and a dog. Just want to know if any of you have this model and is it working out for the family? I pick it up on the 20th and cant wait. Going from a class C to A scares me a little (driving) but I am sure I will get over it.

Also any issues or things to look out for with this unit?

Thanks in advance!
jvish33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #2

Just keep the highway white lines in each close up mirror, you'll soon know where to point to stay in your lane. When you see a big rig coming uo, I always steer a touch into it, when he passes you won't be on the rumple strips! Have fun and enjoy. I'm sure you'll appreciate the "A".
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
Anacortesians

The extra 6" width is a non-event, unless, like me, you have to prune some of the garage roof off to get it alongside!

We have an '02 GT325, which we bought in 2010 from the original owners. Although GT isn't the greatest manufacturer with regards to construction quality, it's OK - particulalrly for the price we paid.

The only significant problems we've had were 1.) a seriously weathered slide topper over the dining room slide that let rain water in (fixed) and 2.) a problem with the Onan generator which I'm still working on. I think a carb replacement may be needed. Shame, really, as it only has 60 hours on the Hobbs meter.

Running costs (7 and a bit mpg) for the beast are a major issue and we may end up selling it before next season. On a seriously limited retiree budget, and looking at a replacement for our now 11 year old daily driver with 120,000 miles on it, I don't think we can continue as RVers.

We're hoping to do major trips (3 weeks or more) in May and September this year and then maybe call it done. Destinations and routes still under review.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:35 PM   #4

We picked ours up 3 weeks ago, so far so good. We also have 3 kids and a dog. Very roomy and lots of fun. We've already put 2000 miles on it and spent 6 nights in it. Some minor issues as would be expected. I would say job #1 is take it to a ford dealer and get an alignment, ours was way out and forest river paid.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited Toad with ReadyBrute Elite
Networx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:44 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Georgetown!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #6

thanks

Thanks Campers! I will keep you posted. After I get her home I’ll go to the local school and practice in the parking lot. I was told by other A Class owners that they handle better and have a sharper turn radius. I am 5 feet longer then the C I know to watch the backend swing.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp
The extra 6" width is a non-event, unless, like me, you have to prune some of the garage roof off to get it alongside!

We have an '02 GT325, which we bought in 2010 from the original owners. Although GT isn't the greatest manufacturer with regards to construction quality, it's OK - particulalrly for the price we paid.

The only significant problems we've had were 1.) a seriously weathered slide topper over the dining room slide that let rain water in (fixed) and 2.) a problem with the Onan generator which I'm still working on. I think a carb replacement may be needed. Shame, really, as it only has 60 hours on the Hobbs meter.

Running costs (7 and a bit mpg) for the beast are a major issue and we may end up selling it before next season. On a seriously limited retiree budget, and looking at a replacement for our now 11 year old daily driver with 120,000 miles on it, I don't think we can continue as RVers.

We're hoping to do major trips (3 weeks or more) in May and September this year and then maybe call it done. Destinations and routes still under review.
Sorry to hear you may have to give up the life style. We have found its less expensive to go less places and stay longer at exteded rates, by the week or month. Just wondering, where did the xtra 6" width come from? Super "C"s have been 101" winth fpr many years same as 'A's.
Best of luck however you decide.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #8

I have the 2013 350TS...just one more slide. We have 3 kids and two big dogs. It's very roomy and the kids love it. I did 3 modifications that helped handling dramatically. 1. free suspension mod. 2. Blue Ox TigerTrak Rear track bar. 3. Steer-Safe steering stabilizer. Before those mods, I felt every little wind, truck, pavement issue, etc. Now it is very solid was well worth the money. Steer safe ($400), Tiger Trak ($500). Both were easy to install myself.

Good luck with your new rig......
MGOBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #9

Thanks Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGOBlue View Post
I have the 2013 350TS...just one more slide. We have 3 kids and two big dogs. It's very roomy and the kids love it. I did 3 modifications that helped handling dramatically. 1. free suspension mod. 2. Blue Ox TigerTrak Rear track bar. 3. Steer-Safe steering stabilizer. Before those mods, I felt every little wind, truck, pavement issue, etc. Now it is very solid was well worth the money. Steer safe ($400), Tiger Trak ($500). Both were easy to install myself.

Good luck with your new rig......
Thanks Blue.. Ill look into that. Have to drive it more to get a feel of what I need. I will keep you posted.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
CLASS "A" Senior Member

to the Forums and Congrats on the new Georgetown. You'll adjust to the larger vehicle quickly and won't notice a difference after a few times out. Until the day we picked up our coach the largest thing I ever drove was a Durango pulling a trailer similar to the Roo. Our trip home was bit nerve racking but after a few times driving around I adjusted well.
On our first trip to Myrtle Beach I actually parallel parked it at a Rest Stop. Got out and I was less than 18" from the curb, which enabled the steps to come out. My wife on the other hand was terrified the whole trip. Don't sweat it you'll be fine. Be Safe and

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #11

Best thing I can tell you is get out and drive it. I had never driven anything like this before we picked up our 351ds 3 weeks ago. We've gone on several little trips a few hours away and put 2400 miles on it so far. I feel totally comfortable with it now. It's much easier to drive than I expected, but it does take some time to get used to it.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #12

Jvish and Family Congratulations on your new Georgetown! You are gonna love it! As others have posted, you'll have no problem driving it especially coming from the Winnie C. Being higher up, almost same as trucks seems to make a big difference, then looking out the picture window,er, I mean huge windshield and you'll be amazed the first time out. Enjoy and safe and fun travels!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Jvish and Family Congratulations on your new Georgetown! You are gonna love it! As others have posted, you'll have no problem driving it especially coming from the Winnie C. Being higher up, almost same as trucks seems to make a big difference, then looking out the picture window,er, I mean huge windshield and you'll be amazed the first time out. Enjoy and safe and fun travels!
My wife said "it looks like a picture window"! thats funny. Pic it up this Sat. Cant wait!!!!!
Old 04-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #14

Also just cleaned out the C.. WOW you dont realize how much stuff you have in it till you clean it out! Found a couple of the kids toys they have been looking for Ha!
Old 04-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #15

jvish, You are lucky you didn't lose a couple of the kids in the storage areas to just find them now!LOL! I know what you mean. When I was cleaning out our first MH getting ready to pick up our GT, my garage floor was covered with stuff accummulated over five years I never knew I had.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
jvish, You are lucky you didn't lose a couple of the kids in the storage areas to just find them now!LOL! I know what you mean. When I was cleaning out our first MH getting ready to pick up our GT, my garage floor was covered with stuff accummulated over five years I never knew I had.
thanks! Funny My garage floor is coverd too! But its like spring cleaning. Stuff I can get rid of.

Also I have a bunk over the drivers cab. But cant see in the pic where the TV antena crank is.. Without the bunk its right ove the drivers head. Could be that I have that V shaped Antena.. does any body know?
Old 04-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #17

My 12 has a "crank" over the driver seat, It's the old flying wing, esp. if it has a crank.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #18

Our 13 has a fixed antenna, no crank needed.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited Toad with ReadyBrute Elite
Old 04-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #19
Retired US Army CW4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networx View Post
We picked ours up 3 weeks ago, so far so good. We also have 3 kids and a dog. Very roomy and lots of fun. We've already put 2000 miles on it and spent 6 nights in it. Some minor issues as would be expected. I would say job #1 is take it to a ford dealer and get an alignment, ours was way out and forest river paid.

I just picked up a 2014 329DS and it is in bad need of an alignment. Forest River says it's a Ford problem and Ford says it's a Forest River problem (I think I see a pattern here ). How did you get Forest River to pay for it?
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandKat View Post
I just picked up a 2014 329DS and it is in bad need of an alignment. Forest River says it's a Ford problem and Ford says it's a Forest River problem (I think I see a pattern here ). How did you get Forest River to pay for it?
I emailed John Armstrong now it would be Steven Strombaugh.
sstombaugh@forestriverinc.com phone 574-206-7611

I told John that I would get the alignment checked and if it was off would Forest River pay to have it aligned? He told me send me the bill and he sent me a cheque.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote