Old 05-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #11

Welcome & congratulations. 320DS Here and lovin it.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #12

Smile First question.....

First of all thanks again for the warm welcome, it's good to know I'll have support if...when.... things go a-rye.

....and so I have a question...
When looking at the mattress in our new rig we thought it looked more like a regular queen size mattress for a house and when sitting on the edge of it by the entrance of the bedroom it felt like it was too long for the support plywood.
So my question is, do these motor homes come with the mattress shorter than a regular queen mattress and if so has anyone replaced the shorter mattress with a regular one?
We're going to replace it as it looks kinda used and worn but want some input first.

thanks, Tim

Old 05-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #13

We have a 2004 326ds and the mattress does hang over the foot about 3". I messured it wondering if it is a short queen and it is shorter than the queen in the house by about 3". We do not have room to replace it with a longer mattress because there is not room when the slide is in.

I am planning to add an additional piece of wood at the foot to give it better support. It should be an essy project.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaeTim View Post
First of all thanks again for the warm welcome, it's good to know I'll have support if...when.... things go a-rye.

....and so I have a question...
When looking at the mattress in our new rig we thought it looked more like a regular queen size mattress for a house and when sitting on the edge of it by the entrance of the bedroom it felt like it was too long for the support plywood.
So my question is, do these motor homes come with the mattress shorter than a regular queen mattress and if so has anyone replaced the shorter mattress with a regular one?
We're going to replace it as it looks kinda used and worn but want some input first.

thanks, Tim

Yea we've all looked at that with wonder.....
RV's come with Short King or Short Queen (60" x 74) mattresses. I think the short plywood support is to allow some flex of the mattress when the slide is closed with full bead coverings on top.

1st thing on your list will probably be a foam topper as the stock mattresses are cheap & more spring than mattress. I had to buy a generic queen foam topper and cut it down to the needed 74" in length.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
We replaced the mattress in our 378 with a short queen that we got at camping world. Ours Georgetown came with a mattress with round corners and the new one has square corners. It is fine we just don't sit on that corner. There is not room with for a full size queen when we bring the slide in. If we were going to extend the platform for a full size queen it would have to be removable to bring the slide in.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #16

Buldging Hoses

One thing to check FOR SURE before you take delivery are the hydraulic hoses. A very frequent problem for that year are defective hoses. The symptom is a blister and leaking on the hose.

The worst ones were orange, and you can see them at the hydraulic motor under the step. Once you have identified them, follow each hose to it's termination point, and look for the blisters.

They may or may not be leaking, but if they are blistered, they will. FR has replaced many of these hoses, and they may have already on your coach.

We love ours after the first year of fixing everything under warranty.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #17

Thumbs up Good advice...

Thanks again for the pointers guys, I kinda figured the short mattress was for when the slide was in and so I guess we'll have to get a new one...what do they cost?

As for the hydraulic hoses, I noticed the blisters and leaks on another RV we looked at just before we bought this one and can see where your coming from on that, I didn't see anything leaking under the step on ours but will trace the hoses and check everything out after we pick it up, thanks for the heads up

This is a great site
Old 05-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #18

we replaced our short (crappy after 1st season) with a regular full full foam mattress from wallyworld cost abot 200bux and created an extra 6 inchs between bed and wall,cut the plywood base was easy found matching trim at lowes
best mod we ever did ,well almost
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302 View Post
When you pick up the unit, be sure to run the generator for several minutes. Not running the gen enough is a common fault when folks are always camping with shore power and it allows the fuel to gum up and stop the generator from working.

If you run it, you will know it works...

Bill
A quick check that the generator runs before you drive off the lots is a really good idea.

You may already know this, so pardon me if it's redundant. Onan recommends running it about 30 minutes under load once per month. Just starting it and running it for a few minutes allows moisture to get into the oil. Running 30 minutes gets the oil warm enough drive the moisture off. Ours is in storage for 3 to 4 months at a time so I don't get to run it every month but we haven't had a problem yet.

A good way to load it is with either the air conditioner or portable electric heater (leave the door open if you have to) or the water heater. Just be sure you have it full of cold water before you start. If you start the generator with the water heater off, then switch it on after the generator is running, you can hear the generator load up when you switch the water heater on. You can hear it with an electric heater too, but the A/C may make too much noise.

Running the generator also exercises the automatic transfer switch. I like to have the shore line plugged in with the water heater off when I start the generator. That way when I switch the water heater on I can hear the generator load up so I know that not only is the generator working but the transfer switch has switched the coach from shore line to generator.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #20

Aveena Mattress

We replaced our OEM mattress with the Aveena short queen from Camping World, on sale for about $500.00. We are happy with it, good luck on finding one you like. I was told by CW if we didn't like it, they would take it back up to 90 days as long as it was like new in appearance. They said they normally don't take mattresses back, but it was up to the manager, so you might ask them.

Happy Trails, Forrest

2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote