Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2013, 06:21 AM   #21

Arrow

Thanks RamblerGuy, I'll be making sure the generator is working well when we pick it up for sure, when we looked at the RV before we made the deal we started the generator and a plume of blue smoke bellowed from the exhaust but then it cleared up after a bit. I figured it had sat without running for a while and maybe the valve stem seals are leaking bye so I'm not to concerned about it as I can remove it some winter and put new gaskets/seals & check it over. I also thought maybe some day swapping the gen-set gas engine with a diesel as it will last longer and I would only have to install a small fuel tank somewhere near it...any thoughts?

fbconsults, I'll check to see if I can find a mattress at a camping store here in Canada, thanks. Are the queen mattresses for RV's all short and do they have the same measurements? ...does anyone know what the measurements are? We checked with Sleep Country which is a mattress store here in Canada, they gave us a ridiculous price of about $700 for a short queen mattress, I thought that was a bit too much! I'm going to check with Sears and other places to compare as well.

Tim
Old 05-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #22

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbconsults View Post
We replaced our OEM mattress with the Aveena short queen from Camping World, on sale for about $500.00. We are happy with it, good luck on finding one you like. I was told by CW if we didn't like it, they would take it back up to 90 days as long as it was like new in appearance. They said they normally don't take mattresses back, but it was up to the manager, so you might ask them.

Happy Trails, Forrest
That is the same mattress that we bought as well. I sent a picture to John Armstrong at Forest River showing him how lumpy & bumpy our new mattress was when the Rv was only a few months old. He sent us a cheque for $250.00 as part payment for the new one. They had switched to a different brand by that time and I think that was what they had to pay for the new ones they were putting in.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #23

GaeTim, Welcome to the forum and the world of Georgetown and Forest River Products.
On the generator issue, the blue smoke may of been from winterinzing if the spark plugs were removed and a few drops of oil put into the cylinders. Have done that with my motorcycle a few times and you get the same effect. I don't know why you would want to change gennys. That gas Onan will outlast your ownership of the motor home I would guess. There are stories on this and other RV forums with people putting over 20,000! hours on these units. They don't break and just keep on going and going IMHO.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #24

Thanks sherman12, I actually never thought of that and I'll be your right! I'm glad to hear they are good gas engines and so I'll check it over when I get it to make sure it's good...I'm sure it is :-)

Tim
Old 05-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #25
Kanadian Kamper

GaeTim

Congrats on the purchase at 1000 Islands. Hope you got a good deal..........they dropped the price a couple of times. Make sure everything is checked over really really well. The drive back and forth from Ottawa will get expensive and time consuming if it's something that should be covered under the warranty from 1000 Islands.

BTW............what brand of genny have you got? It's really not worth the aggravation to switch out the gas one for diesel.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #26

Thumbs up

Hi kenandterry We got them down to $80,000 and that's with a 7 month warranty from them...not bad considering the price for new.
On the other hand it was used a lot and some of the interior shows it, there are a couple ...lets say...upgrades the previous owner tried to do that I will need to re-do properly but it runs great and everything looked in decent shape, we ordered a new mattress the other day cause I didn't like the way that one looked and we didn't want to sleep on that...bla! I even crawled up under it to see what was on the underside and it was pretty clean.

Thanks to sherman12 I feel relieved that the genny is more than likely alright and the plume of smoke was probably just from squirting oil in the cylinders for storage. It's the Onan Cummins 5.5kw genset, I literally know nothing about these units but am not worried cause I tend to teach myself all there is to know about things I own. I also looked and we have an Onan dealer here in Ottawa so I can go there for parts or advice too.

We pick it up next Thursday afternoon, they said for us to plan to be there at least a couple hours as they will go through all the systems to make sure we know how it all works before we take possession, that will be a great opportunity to make sure everything is working well.

So maybe we'll see you on the road some day, we're planning to do as much camping as we can this summer to make sure everything's working well while the warranty is in place. Actually that brings up a question, I heard the Ford warranty isn't transferable on RV's...is that true?

Happy camping
Old 05-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #27
Kanadian Kamper

I wouldn't worry too much about the Ford part of things as far as a warranty goes. For the most part oil, lube, filter should cover things pretty well. Unless you become the exception to the rule, you won't run up the mileage as much as you'd think, and the engine is a trooper!

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote