Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2016, 02:31 PM   #1

Just bought a new 2016 Georgetown XK 352QS

After over a year of research in all type of Class A to Class C, Diesel Pusher to Gasser, I came to the conclusion that the Gasser should fit us better as far as price point and quality. There are many factors were considered and the final result still pointed us to the Gas Coach.

Having that said, we are now the proud owner of the 2016 Georgetown XL 352QS, MHSRV is prepping the RV now to get ready for PDI on this coming Friday July 22nd. This is our first ever RV and hoped that we will have tonnes of good time traveling and explore the USA.

In the past 5 years, we have been tent camping and travel all over the US. We had put in over 150,000 miles in 5 years without the RV, we were always wished that we could have the RV which would make life more enjoyable, and the time has come.

Any advice to this new RV owner would really be appreciated.
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:47 PM   #2

Congratulations on the new coach. Make sure you take our time during our delivery and check out. Take notes and videos. Ask many questions.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResQfrog View Post
Congratulations on the new coach. Make sure you take our time during our delivery and check out. Take notes and videos. Ask many questions.
Thank, I have a long list of questions to ask, the list is still growing.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:47 PM   #4

Congrats on the New Coach. the 352 is my favorite Floor plan, but I am biased
Old 07-20-2016, 07:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbailey13 View Post
Congrats on the New Coach. the 352 is my favorite Floor plan, but I am biased
Great!

How was your coach? Did you have lot of luck with it? Any mod to the coach that I should think about?

Thanks for your comment.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:12 PM   #6

Congrats on your 2016 Georgetown XL 352QS!
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamdle View Post
Great!

How was your coach? Did you have lot of luck with it? Any mod to the coach that I should think about?

Thanks for your comment.
We Love it. a couple of mods that will likely be a must.....Headphones for the bunk TV's you can get them in pairs on amazon I bought 2 sets (4 total) So each TV could have 2 headsets each and you will need 2 transmitters of curse, just in case we ever had more than 2 kids wanting to watch TV.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I added an inverter to power the outlets without the generator
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...all-91636.html

I added a second screen for the backup/side marker cameras because looking at the one in the dash was a bit hard while driving
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...een-72231.html
Old 07-21-2016, 09:08 AM   #8

Quote:
We Love it. a couple of mods that will likely be a must.....Headphones for the bunk TV's you can get them in pairs on amazon I bought 2 sets (4 total) So each TV could have 2 headsets each and you will need 2 transmitters of curse, just in case we ever had more than 2 kids wanting to watch TV.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I added an inverter to power the outlets without the generator
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...all-91636.html

I added a second screen for the backup/side marker cameras because looking at the one in the dash was a bit hard while driving
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...een-72231.html
Thanks for your advice. My original thought was very well in line with you, especially adding more battery and inverter so I could have 110 power without using the generator.

The question that I have for you is: Do you ADD additional 110volts plugs for the inverter or you use transfer switch to deliver 110 power to all of the existing plugs?

Thanks and have a wonderful day.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:54 PM   #9

Congrats and good luck

We have a 2014 have had it almost 2 yrs. it's the black diamond series. It's been in the shop more than out. In the shop now for front a/c replacement. Best ice maker you ever seen. Flooring replaced. Water lines kept plugging with sedaments from water heater they told us it was our fault. The adnod rod was eaten up when it was purchased. How clever. Wasn't our fault. Side camera fell out on the way home after taking delivery. I could go on and on. This is our 2nd Forest river home within 3 years. No more for us. Dealer service don't want to help us anymore and don't get support from Forest river We call her the Lemon on wheels and take her down the road and hope she continues to do good for us. After you pay thousands for these homes.
Cardinal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:12 PM   #10

Learned the Hard Way

Quote:
After over a year of research in all type of Class A to Class C, Diesel Pusher to Gasser, I came to the conclusion that the Gasser should fit us better as far as price point and quality. There are many factors were considered and the final result still pointed us to the Gas Coach.

Having that said, we are now the proud owner of the 2016 Georgetown XL 352QS, MHSRV is prepping the RV now to get ready for PDI on this coming Friday July 22nd. This is our first ever RV and hoped that we will have tonnes of good time traveling and explore the USA.

In the past 5 years, we have been tent camping and travel all over the US. We had put in over 150,000 miles in 5 years without the RV, we were always wished that we could have the RV which would make life more enjoyable, and the time has come.

Any advice to this new RV owner would really be appreciated.
Do your PDI before you sign any paperwork. If you think you are being flim flamed or manipulated in any way, you probably are! I made the mistake of signing first and I found out that they were just then prepping it after having 4 weeks to complete the prep. On top of that the prep was in no way worth the 800 bucks they charged. I have a few problems the first week and they all turned out to be mis-information during the PDI. It was not this dealer though so hopefully you will have a better experience.
Havasudave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for your advice. My original thought was very well in line with you, especially adding more battery and inverter so I could have 110 power without using the generator.

The question that I have for you is: Do you ADD additional 110volts plugs for the inverter or you use transfer switch to deliver 110 power to all of the existing plugs?

Thanks and have a wonderful day.
I used a transfer switch and the existing outlets. It was a little more effort up front, but pays off in the long run because now I can plug into any outlet in the coach. My setup is very similar to what Forest River does for coaches that have Residential Refrigerators except it is extended to all the outlets not just the fridge. If you look at the posting link it shows the Transfer switch and how it is connected inline with the primary 110v wire.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:27 PM   #12

Welcome to the club! Love ours!!
Dowload PDI checklists from here if you haven't already. Take your time and hit everything. MSHRV gets good reviews and has great prices so you should be treated well. We "filmed" our whole PDI and it really helps because there are just so many things to remember. Good luck!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:38 PM   #13

Don't forget to get on the roof! Ours was filthy and the dealer didn't lke cleaning it.

2014 378 xl
2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ
jeffv003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasudave View Post
Do your PDI before you sign any paperwork. If you think you are being flim flamed or manipulated in any way, you probably are! I made the mistake of signing first and I found out that they were just then prepping it after having 4 weeks to complete the prep. On top of that the prep was in no way worth the 800 bucks they charged. I have a few problems the first week and they all turned out to be mis-information during the PDI. It was not this dealer though so hopefully you will have a better experience.
I would love to do what your recommendation, however, I am not sure how would you go about PDI before sign any paper. Dealer don't want you to spend their time walk through without your commitment. MHSRV already told us that we have to get all paperwork done before they would allow their tech to work with us on PDI.

Any suggestion?
Old 07-21-2016, 05:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Welcome to the club! Love ours!!
Dowload PDI checklists from here if you haven't already. Take your time and hit everything. MSHRV gets good reviews and has great prices so you should be treated well. We "filmed" our whole PDI and it really helps because there are just so many things to remember. Good luck!
Thank, that what I am intent to do... my GoPro will be with me at all time.

TL
Old 07-21-2016, 06:04 PM   #16

Quote:
I used a transfer switch and the existing outlets. It was a little more effort up front, but pays off in the long run because now I can plug into any outlet in the coach. My setup is very similar to what Forest River does for coaches that have Residential Refrigerators except it is extended to all the outlets not just the fridge. If you look at the posting link it shows the Transfer switch and how it is connected inline with the primary 110v wire.
I looked at the link that you send me, that is a great set up. If I understood it correctly, the "Xantrex Inline Transfer Relay" served as the automatic transfer switch, if there is no external power such as shore power or generator power, the Xantrex Inline Transfer Relay will allow the "house 110 circuit" tol pick up the power from the inverter, at any point the external power from such as shore power or generator power kick on, the Xantrex Inline Transfer Relay will automatically switch to the external power and run the house circuit, we do not have to do anything to control the switching, am I right?

Let me know if I was wrong.

Also, does the microwave circuit is separated from this 15A circuit for the house light, or together in the same circuit?

Thanks again Chris.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:47 PM   #17

Quote:
I looked at the link that you send me, that is a great set up. If I understood it correctly, the "Xantrex Inline Transfer Relay" served as the automatic transfer switch, if there is no external power such as shore power or generator power, the Xantrex Inline Transfer Relay will allow the "house 110 circuit" tol pick up the power from the inverter, at any point the external power from such as shore power or generator power kick on, the Xantrex Inline Transfer Relay will automatically switch to the external power and run the house circuit, we do not have to do anything to control the switching, am I right?

Let me know if I was wrong.

Also, does the microwave circuit is separated from this 15A circuit for the house light, or together in the same circuit?

Thanks again Chris.
You are correct. you don't have to do anything else to control the switching once you turn the Inverter on.

The Microwave is on a circuit of its own separate from the ones controlled by the inverter. My thinking is that the Microwave would be a huge suck on the batteries, so you would need the GENSET to recharge the batteries anyway...so just run the GENSET to heat something up.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:12 PM   #18

Quote:
You are correct. you don't have to do anything else to control the switching once you turn the Inverter on.

The Microwave is on a circuit of its own separate from the ones controlled by the inverter. My thinking is that the Microwave would be a huge suck on the batteries, so you would need the GENSET to recharge the batteries anyway...so just run the GENSET to heat something up.
You just don't know how much I am really appreciated for your sharing. I was looking for a way to deal with the 110 volts without using the gen set and not aware of the Xantrex product. Many thanks again.

Having that said, I was planning some months down the road, to hook up 4 to 6 solar panels then replace the current batteries bank with two or more of the extra high capacity batteries, then have the coach power runoff a 2000 Watts inverter, not for just the lights, but also for other appliances and security system. With that, I could have plenty of power to boondocking for some extended time in nature. That is the main reason why we get this RV.

Tags
georgetown