Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2010, 11:10 PM   #1

Just brought home our "new" Georgetown 373

I have been lurking on this forum for months now and have gotten some great information from all you "veterans"! I hope I can ask some really stupid newbie questions without too much laughter from the crowd......

I have seen the thread about the steps, but I have an even more basic question about the steps. How do we get the steps to retract if we are parking the coach in the driveway and still shut off the 12 volt disconnect main switch? The stairs won't retract if the door is not shut, but if I shut the door, I can't shut off the disconnect switch.

Should I not shut off the 12 volt switch if the coach will be parked but not hooked up to shore power?

Our "new" coach is actually a used 2008 model that is in great shape. Barely broken in. We are also thinking of buying an extended service agreement as soon as possible, but would like to hear any suggestions or info on your experiences...........

We live in Florida and are looking forward to trips to Illinois/Wisconsin and Sturgis for the bike rally this spring and summer.

Gotta get some short trips under our belts before we go cross country!
rxfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:18 PM   #2

Welcome! I've got a 370.

What I do is I climb inside, close the door, steps retract, then I turn off the main power, then open the door, sit on the lower step and hop down.

Gotta be a smarter/easier way, but I haven't found it.

Also make sure you check out this thread:

http://forestriverforums.com/forums/...ghlight=spacer
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:54 AM   #3

I'd like to know about the steps too. Even if I go inside shut the battry the steps extend when I open the door. Congeats on your new coach. I'm a new owner too
mr.ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:01 AM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I haven't tried this myself but if you placed a magnet at the door contact with the door open wouldn't the door close? Then turn off the 12 volt switch. I saw it posted earlier in the forum by a few people so the steps are retracted when they were dealing with their batteries under the steps.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.ken View Post
I'd like to know about the steps too. Even if I go inside shut the battry the steps extend when I open the door. Congeats on your new coach. I'm a new owner too
I've had this happen as well. My best guess is that it's related to the ignition triggering the steps. Seems to only happen once.

When that happens, I just repeat my procedure and all is well.
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:36 AM   #6

Congrats. We also have a 08 Georgetown and like it. I think the magnet will do the trick. We just leave the steps down when parked. I do turn off the main switch when stored for a period of time. Right now its still cold in Va and the heater is on (set at 55) so we leave the power plugged in so it will keep the batteries up.
Since we use ours in the winter in Florida, and on weekends in the summer, it gets a lot of use. We also took a trip out west this year so ours has some 19000 miles on it now. No problems that are major. We did have our front windshield resealed this year because of a leak that developed. And a slide topper restraightened because of winds out west. Forest River makes a good coach.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
I haven't tried this myself but if you placed a magnet at the door contact with the door open wouldn't the door close? Then turn off the 12 volt switch. I saw it posted earlier in the forum by a few people so the steps are retracted when they were dealing with their batteries under the steps.
This is exactly what I do. I have a barrel magnet I just roll over to the door switch.

2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #8

ronhanson,
What kind of magnet is that?? Barrel? What is it 'sticking' to? On my Berkshire, the magnetic pickup is on the left side door frame and the frame is aluminum. The magnet does not stay on the frame so I need to find a way to keep it in place. Any suggestions?

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:37 AM   #9

That is a rare earth Neodymium cylinder magnet I had laying around the house. . The magnet is similar to this one.

My entire entry well is steel and has a steel angle piece in the corner by the door frame. If you don't have any steel in the area maybe you could add a little piece close to the switch. A little piece of steel flat bar screwed to the aluminum frame.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaSteve View Post
Welcome! I've got a 370.

What I do is I climb inside, close the door, steps retract, then I turn off the main power, then open the door, sit on the lower step and hop down.

Gotta be a smarter/easier way, but I haven't found it.

Also make sure you check out this thread:

http://forestriverforums.com/forums/...ghlight=spacer
I tired this with ours and it doesn't work. I looked over the wiring diagram for the steps online and I think they may have put the switch at the door on the wrong +12v wire. If the switch was on the main power wire for the motor then it would stop the steps immediately no matter where they were in their travel. For now I just use the magnate trick.

Oh contragtulations on the new rig Rxfiller and welcome to the forums.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:21 PM   #11

Welcome!!! I too own a 2008 373 and love this unit! I love the 3 zone living. If you have questions you have come to the right place. Just remember your access to your hot water heater Bypass system is on the driver side outside in front of the driver rear tires. You will need to get on your back and get under the rig and look for a white cap. Inside will be your bypass system if you ever wanted to winterize. I camp in Maryland during the winter months and winterize after each trip and sometimes this is a pain to do when the ground is cold and/or wet. Overall a great unit I have just over 13000 miles of pure fun.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:08 AM   #12

Thanks Shorty!

We are brand new, out of the box, rookies who haven't camped in anythning besides tents... and that was years ago. So it is nice to know someone who has the same unit as me is available to help us!
Old 04-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #13

I'm looking at a 2010 373, is that similar to your 2008?
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #14
Pilot

I shut the screen door, the stairs retract. Then, I reach through the slide handle in the screen door and hit the shutoff switch. Might need a stool to stand on.
TimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:29 AM   #15

Yes, both 373's still have the same basic floor plan. The only exceptions I remember are the bowl sinks and the faux stone bedroom wall in the '10.

It is a great floor plan!