Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2018, 09:13 AM   #1

Angry Just gave up

Bought a 2010 Georgetown (new) and have had nothing but trouble. Hydraulic system failed due to design flaw, large crack in fiberglass due to stress crack, Forrest River said i hit something, which did not happen, windshield wiper motor burned up after using them 3 times, and other issues to numerous to mention, but the final straw that broke the camels back happened this past winter. We started to Florida, got 5 miles from home, motorhome quit. Had to be towed to the closest repair shop, where it took 3 weeks to get it fixed. Problem was a $12 dollar relay that cost us $800 dollars to fix. Started home from florida, stopped the first night. Tried to set up in campground, jacks would not deploy and slides would not extend. Started home the next day, check engine light came on, coach ran fine so continued on home. 100 miles from home, got into a rain storm, right windshield wiper broke off and jammed into the left wiper causing it to stop working. Now in a driving rain storm with no wipers. I was able to dislodge the broken wiper and fortunately had the left wiper that worked. Finally made it home but not before having an issue with the brakes. Have had a major problem finding people to fix all my problems. Called Forrest River for help, the 2 places they recommended failed. One would not work on the unit since i did not buy it there, the other said they were booked and it would be months before they could look at it. Found a place 60 miles from home that said they would check the hydraulic and wiper problem, but not the check engine or brakes. They did the work, another $500. Have found a place 50 miles away that can deal with the brakes and engine, who knows how much this will cost. It is amazing that i live in Indianapolis, Indiana, and have to take my unit miles away to get it fixed. So, now it is the beginning of camping season, and our unit sits idol, and will probably be that way for a long time. Amazing how you spend all his money, and cannot afford to use the thing, or never know what will be next to break.
shunsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunsinger View Post
Bought a 2010 Georgetown (new) and have had nothing but trouble. Hydraulic system failed due to design flaw, large crack in fiberglass due to stress crack, Forrest River said i hit something, which did not happen, windshield wiper motor burned up after using them 3 times, and other issues to numerous to mention, but the final straw that broke the camels back happened this past winter. We started to Florida, got 5 miles from home, motorhome quit. Had to be towed to the closest repair shop, where it took 3 weeks to get it fixed. Problem was a $12 dollar relay that cost us $800 dollars to fix. Started home from florida, stopped the first night. Tried to set up in campground, jacks would not deploy and slides would not extend. Started home the next day, check engine light came on, coach ran fine so continued on home. 100 miles from home, got into a rain storm, right windshield wiper broke off and jammed into the left wiper causing it to stop working. Now in a driving rain storm with no wipers. I was able to dislodge the broken wiper and fortunately had the left wiper that worked. Finally made it home but not before having an issue with the brakes. Have had a major problem finding people to fix all my problems. Called Forrest River for help, the 2 places they recommended failed. One would not work on the unit since i did not buy it there, the other said they were booked and it would be months before they could look at it. Found a place 60 miles from home that said they would check the hydraulic and wiper problem, but not the check engine or brakes. They did the work, another $500. Have found a place 50 miles away that can deal with the brakes and engine, who knows how much this will cost. It is amazing that i live in Indianapolis, Indiana, and have to take my unit miles away to get it fixed. So, now it is the beginning of camping season, and our unit sits idol, and will probably be that way for a long time. Amazing how you spend all his money, and cannot afford to use the thing, or never know what will be next to break.
Sorry to hear all of your troubles.
What you are going through is not right.
Have you considered an RV mobile repair person?
We have several around our area that charges $50 - $60 pet hour and they come to us.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:33 AM   #3

So you bought it new in 2010 and have been using it for eight years? Did any of your problems occur during warranty period? Just trying to understand the time frame.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:08 AM   #4

Sorry to hear about your past issues over the past 8 years.
My 2012 378TS with 60,000 miles and had it since new.
After 1st year with many problems resolved all was good and has been for years. Key is a local dealer where you buy it from will maintain it 100%.
So everyone who wants to buy in another state to save a few $$ sometimes it isn't worth it if you don't use your local dealer.
I know some of you live in the outback and have no dealers close by. That needs to be taking into consideration.
I do.....Regular oil and filter changes, new tires, transmission flush, brake flush and just all around maintenance is normal.
So now with 60,000 miles I expect at least another 30,000 miles before I sell it for hardly nothing.
The Ford engine, transmission and frame has worked well for me.
The problems I had the 1st year or 2 was the box on top of the Ford frame.
Have fun
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:24 AM   #5

Quote:
With all due respect, that sounds like a Ford problem that any Ford truck shop should have been able to fix. Your GT isn't the only Ford chassis to use the V-10 engine, so it isn't like Ford hasn't seen one before. You can't blame that issue on the Georgetown.

And as for towing it, do you have some kind of roadside assistance that covered the towing?

That said, sorry to hear about all of the trouble.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:41 AM   #6

The motorhome buyer should not have to deal with the chassis supplier. If I bought an "X" motorhome, "X" Dealer should be responsible for all Warranty issues for the life of the dealer warranty. There should never be a pissing match between Dealer and Supplier. But in defense of the Chassie dealers, some of them are just not equipped to work on anything larger than a pickup. If I was to own one I would have a list of large truck dealers along my route before I left the house. But I will never have to worry about that problem. I would not take a motorhome for free.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:45 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
The motorhome buyer should not have to deal with the chassis supplier. If I bought an "X" motorhome, "X" Dealer should be responsible for all Warranty issues for the life of the dealer warranty. There should never be a pissing match between Dealer and Supplier. But in defense of the Chassie dealers, some of them are just not equipped to work on anything larger than a pickup. If I was to own one I would have a list of large truck dealers along my route before I left the house. But I will never have to worry about that problem. I would not take a motorhome for free.
Wouldn't you assume the "dealer warranty" has expired after 10-11 years.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Key is a local dealer where you buy it from will maintain it 100%.
So everyone who wants to buy in another state to save a few $$ sometimes it isn't worth it if you don't use your local dealer.
I can not disagree with you more! After we buy, we never see a dealer again. We only use independent service, and yes, they can do warranty work and regular maintenance also. Much happier not having to endure dealer timelines and shenanigans.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Wouldn't you assume the "dealer warranty" has expired after 10-11 years.
Read the second sentence of that post. I have read MANY stories right here of owners getting caught in pissing matches between Fr and suppliers while the vehicle in under warranty.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:17 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Read the second sentence of that post. I have read MANY stories right here of owners getting caught in pissing matches between Fr and suppliers while the vehicle in under warranty.
OK, following your instructions, I read and highlighted the second sentence.
Quote:
Second sentence included "final straw that broke the camels back happened this past winter" which would have been the winter 2017/2018... yet you say "Dealer should be responsible for all Warranty issues for the life of the dealer warranty." You chose the second sentence which clearly indicates the "dealer warranty" has expired. What am I missing?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #11
Site Team

Moderator hat on:

This is kind of what happens in vent threads, where nobody is asking for assistance, but just venting frustrations.

Other members see that as a cue to also pile on with their own frustrated vents, opinions on the world in general, etc...that really will not solve or help anything. They just become fodder for fights.

This is why we want to be empathetic to our fellow RV'ers, and give them an ear to tug on somewhat...but it has to stay within that purpose and not violate this guideline whose purpose is to keep our forums friendly:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ork&page=rules

Customer Disputes: This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to solely vent frustrations about services, products, vendors, or sales. Please settle your differences with the seller, provider, manufacturer, or dealer through other means but not through our community.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
OK, following your instructions, I read and highlighted the second sentence.
Second sentence included "final straw that broke the camels back happened this past winter" which would have been the winter 2017/2018... yet you say "Dealer should be responsible for all Warranty issues for the life of the dealer warranty." You chose the second sentence which clearly indicates the "dealer warranty" has expired. What am I missing?
You didn't follow my instructions. You quoted my post #6. I instructed you to read the second sentence of my post #6. It is very easy to get confused reading forums.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:06 PM   #13

I think part of the problem is usually part of the information can be missing...which leads to "fill in the blank" or assumptions of the answer. I sometimes leave out a piece of information that might be important to the discussion or question posted and I am somewhat familiar with the forum. New new person might not have that prospective and miss information that would be important. This can be met with "less than patient" response and leading to snappy answers or feelings.

Like Patrick Swayze says.."above all be nice!"
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:55 PM   #14

So sorry to hear about your troubles. I have put 30k on a 2012 and have had no problems other than broken steps and bad upholstery, Fr fixed them both no charge.
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Moderator hat on:

This is kind of what happens in vent threads, where nobody is asking for assistance, but just venting frustrations.

Other members see that as a cue to also pile on with their own frustrated vents, opinions on the world in general, etc...that really will not solve or help anything. They just become fodder for fights.

This is why we want to be empathetic to our fellow RV'ers, and give them an ear to tug on somewhat...but it has to stay within that purpose and not violate this guideline whose purpose is to keep our forums friendly:
I think the other problem is that a lot of the people "venting" have expectations about RV's that are FAR to high. They think RV's are built/warranted/supported like automobiles, and they aren't. When people try to tell them that, they don't want to hear it. They want people to tell them they are right; unfortunately, they aren't.

Caveat emptor!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #16

My RV the same as my boat, just thrown together. I'm glad I'm a mechanic and can take care of them. My last boat I had for 17 years, got it with a busted block from lack of winterizing. I've had my new boat for 10 years. I spend my winters repairing, nothing big except the potable water leak I'm too fat to get to.
My RV I've had for 4 years, I lived in it full time for 18 months with occasional tinkering. You get behind the panels and it is a mess, wires and plumbing just thrown in and not secured or routed, shower head holder mounted to wall but missed the support block behind the wall, this week the kitchen faucet head broke and flew off when I turned the water on. You can't get just the plastic head, you have to get the whole spout. Unfortunately I don't have time to order one so I'll spend $50 for a new faucet. I have a trip starting Friday to Miami. Dewinterizing this week the water supply to the toilet popped off, got it fixed, thanks home depot. to add insult to injury, the light is out on my power jack and I don't have a screwdriver long enough to remove the front screws to change it.
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:54 PM   #17

RVs, boats, horses; they all have one thing in common. They are Money Pits. You keep throwing $$$ at them for the few moments you can really enjoy them. And for most of us, it is worth it!
Old 05-17-2018, 08:11 AM   #18

Sorry about all your troubles it sounds like you were unlucky and got a "lemon"! Like a previous post said what was the timeframe of all these incidents? We have a 2010 Georgetwon 350 bought new and have had very few problems with it.

R & S
20110 Georgetown 350
2012 Honda toad
rstoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
RVs, boats, horses; they all have one thing in common. They are Money Pits. You keep throwing $$$ at them for the few moments you can really enjoy them. And for most of us, it is worth it!
Let's just hope you don't have any warranty issues with that horse! Lol
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote