Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Krazymace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sunriver, Oregon
Posts: 502
Keep tripping GFI'sq

For ease of packing, when I'm getting ready to go on a trip, I pull my motorhome out of my garage in my back yard and pull it into my driveway at the front of the house. In the past, I run power to it off a 20 amp outlet. Today, when I connected to power, it trips the GFI to the outlets outside my house. I tried 2 different circuits, same result. Has worked just fine in the past. Works fine when connected to 30 amps in storage. Help!


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________

__________________
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:36 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
BombDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SC Lowcountry
Posts: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazymace View Post
For ease of packing, when I'm getting ready to go on a trip, I pull my motorhome out of my garage in my back yard and pull it into my driveway at the front of the house. In the past, I run power to it off a 20 amp outlet. Today, when I connected to power, it trips the GFI to the outlets outside my house. I tried 2 different circuits, same result. Has worked just fine in the past. Help!


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
This happened to me with on my 5th Wheel a little over a month ago. I eventually figured out that one of the electrical cords that carry power to the slide out motor had become pinched, cut through the outer protection of the wire but did not cut the wire in half. I could use the on board battery power to open the slide, without it being plugged into my GFCI protected house outlet. While the slide was out, I could plug into the GFCI and it would not trip. Microwave stayed on and a mini dehumidifier stayed on. When I pushed the slide button to bring the slide in, all was fine until just about 1 inch from the slide being fully closed. Then the GFCI outlet would trip at the house and the microwave and dehumidifier would shut off. It took me a good hour or so to figure out what was happening. I had the DW run the slide out while I got on the ground and watched the cables. Sure enough, on closing, one was getting pinched and the exposed wire was causing a short, thus tripping the GFCI. Hope this helps.
__________________

__________________
John & April & "Scout"
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6
Nights Camped 2013-(44) 2014-(59) 2015-(47)
2016-(32) 2017-13
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Krazymace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sunriver, Oregon
Posts: 502
Put both slides out and then tried connecting power. Same result. Thanks


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
BombDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SC Lowcountry
Posts: 1,437
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to offer some suggestions. I could only offer my experience. I did have some folks on here tell me the GFCI are prone to being weak and can do this. Mine were working fine for almost a year, and like you, all of the sudden quit working. I tried several outside the house and each did the same thing. All I can say is something in your unit is causing a short. Once I found my problem, I haven't had an issue with the GFCI's. If you are trying to rule out the outlet, plug something else in to it and see if it does the same thing. Sorry I can't offer more options.
__________________
John & April & "Scout"
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6
Nights Camped 2013-(44) 2014-(59) 2015-(47)
2016-(32) 2017-13
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Krazymace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sunriver, Oregon
Posts: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by BombDoc View Post
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to offer some suggestions. I could only offer my experience. I did have some folks on here tell me the GFCI are prone to being weak and can do this. Mine were working fine for almost a year, and like you, all of the sudden quit working. I tried several outside the house and each did the same thing. All I can say is something in your unit is causing a short. Once I found my problem, I haven't had an issue with the GFCI's. If you are trying to rule out the outlet, plug something else in to it and see if it does the same thing. Sorry I can't offer more options.

Thanks Bombdoc. I've never had this problem before. I, like you, have tried everything. The outlet is good. It's going to the dealer in a couple of weeks for some warranty work. I'll let them figure it out.


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazymace View Post
Thanks Bombdoc. I've never had this problem before. I, like you, have tried everything. The outlet is good. It's going to the dealer in a couple of weeks for some warranty work. I'll let them figure it out.


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Start by opening all of your a/c circuit breakers, all of them. One circuit may have a polarity fault. If the shore power stays connected try closing one at a time.

If that doesn't get it may have a fault in the shore power cord or extension cord you're using.
__________________
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:22 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Krazymace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sunriver, Oregon
Posts: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Start by opening all of your a/c circuit breakers, all of them. One circuit may have a polarity fault. If the shore power stays connected try closing one at a time.

If that doesn't get it may have a fault in the shore power cord or extension cord you're using.

I have a main breaker. As soon as I turn that one on, GFI trips. I used different adapters and extension cord and get the same result. So appears something haywire with my motor home!


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:04 PM   #8
Tim & Lisa Trempert
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 439
Make sure your water heater is not on electric mode. That pulls quite a bit of current. Turn all your individual breakers off in the RV and your main breaker on and then plug it in and then turn the breakers on one by one until you find the one that trips the breaker.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
Tim & Lisa
2011 Georgetown 350
Trempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Krazymace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sunriver, Oregon
Posts: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trempert View Post
Make sure your water heater is not on electric mode. That pulls quite a bit of current. Turn all your individual breakers off in the RV and your main breaker on and then plug it in and then turn the breakers on one by one until you find the one that trips the breaker.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tried that. If the main breaker is on and all other breakers are off, GFI trips. Are there any breakers other than those in the panel?


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
KMP44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central New York
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazymace View Post
Tried that. If the main breaker is on and all other breakers are off, GFI trips. Are there any breakers other than those in the panel?


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Could be a short before the breaker panel - either your cord (but sounds like you already checked that) or the wiring between the cord and the panel in the MH.
__________________

__________________


2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.