Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2019, 04:32 PM   #1

Keeping Mice out of the RV

Any of you every hear of this one?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0364.JPG
Views:	634
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	193972 Was on a web page from the National Pest Management Association
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Any of you every hear of this one?Attachment 193972 Was on a web page from the National Pest Management Association
I have a friend who tried this and said the mice must really like it. They found chew marks on the soap. We have been using the dryer sheets stuffed around in all the drawers and such and so far haven't had a problem.
jcbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:40 PM   #3

ive heard of it. never tried it because I don't want my camper to smell like that in the spring. I use dryer sheets.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:45 PM   #4
RV There Yet?

Here is your proof that it does not work. This guy tests a lot of myths. he also has a lot of trapping videos. check out Mouse Trap Mondays

Old 01-05-2019, 01:12 PM   #5

have always used dryer sheets with no problem
derek6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:19 PM   #6

I ring all tires with moth balls as that's how they'll climb into your unit, never had a problem. I keep a few traps baited inside just in case but have never caught one, and it sits on gravel in the woods.
donkro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:22 PM   #7

MICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Any of you every hear of this one?Attachment 193972 Was on a web page from the National Pest Management Association
The soap and the electronic repellents are all a waste of money. Get snap traps and peanut butter for bait.
Mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:24 PM   #8

ive always removed all food and anything that they can nest in from the rv. loaded it with dryer sheets and cedar moth balls...fingers crossed no critters.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:38 PM   #9

OMG, the mice seemed to be pretty interested in chewing on the Irish Spring soap. So much for that mouse repellant myth!

We do remove all food in chewable packages from the RV. Then we place packages of D-Con under the base cabinets or in the basement storage areas in places where our dogs cannot access. The mice eat it, then leave to go outside to drink water, croak and dry up.

IMHO, the squirrels have been worse rodents than the mice. (Of course we live on six acres of oak trees...) Squirrels have eaten my plastic coolers, propane hoses, electrical wiring and more. I actually keep D-Con packages on top of the batteries of my diesel truck so they don't eat my engine wiring (again). They are welcome to eat the D-Con. Bad squirrels!

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:53 PM   #10

Electronic repellents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman64 View Post
The soap and the electronic repellents are all a waste of money. Get snap traps and peanut butter for bait.
Don't know about soap, but the electronic repellents work for us as long as we have 120 volt service. Haven't had a mouse at all since we stored the trailer 4 months ago. We use 6 units plugged into outlets in living room, bathroom and bedroom with one plugged outside. We leave base cabinets open so the repellents cover space underneath. Didn't start using them until this year. Very happy.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:07 PM   #11

I spread 3 bags of Fresh Cab and 4 plastic Glad containers filled with moth balls throughout the interior and 1 bag of Fresh cab it the engine compartment because that's where i found a nest 2 winters ago and so far so good. My C is only 24', larger unit will probably need more.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:09 PM   #12

I'm trying something new this year. Rumor has it that rodents don't like the smell of peppermint, so I got peppermint oil and cotton balls. I put the peppermint oil on a bunch of cotton balls and put one in each of the outside compartments and scattered them around the places inside where I usually catch them.

We'll see how it goes...if it doesn't work, it smells really nice and I go back to snap traps!
rad_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:10 PM   #13

Keeping mice out of RV

Moth balls.... been using them for years with TT and Boats. knock on wood never had trouble with them. Cut an old pair of panty hose tie one end add 1/2 dozen balls tie other end and spread around. Easy to pick up in spring and put in air tight container for next year.
Cvettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:14 PM   #14
Site Team

Make sure you are using essential oil of peppermint ( not cooking peppermint) and replenish it every 5-6 weeks. Be careful not to get the oil on furniture or countertops as it will damage them. Put the cotton balls in an old mug or glass. Please don't use poison as it will kill raptors that might eat a poisoned mouse or squirrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad_jr View Post
I'm trying something new this year. Rumor has it that rodents don't like the smell of peppermint, so I got peppermint oil and cotton balls. I put the peppermint oil on a bunch of cotton balls and put one in each of the outside compartments and scattered them around the places inside where I usually catch them.

We'll see how it goes...if it doesn't work, it smells really nice and I go back to snap traps!

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #15

I did that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman64 View Post
I did that for six months or so. With four traps in the area where we knew they were running, we caught one or two a week. But they never stopped coming.

Finally I spent a day on my back beneath the trailer fixing a tear or two in the membrane beneath the trailer and tying coarse steel wool around every pipe and cable that came through the floor. Then I went up top and stuffed more steel wool into every hole in the floor. Haven't seen one since.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
I did that for six months or so. With four traps in the area where we knew they were running, we caught one or two a week. But they never stopped coming.

Finally I spent a day on my back beneath the trailer fixing a tear or two in the membrane beneath the trailer and tying coarse steel wool around every pipe and cable that came through the floor. Then I went up top and stuffed more steel wool into every hole in the floor. Haven't seen one since.

Larry

May want to try brass wool or some metal that won't rust.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:04 PM   #17

We've used Fresh Cab from Tractor Supply in our trailers for the past 4 years, and either it works or we've been lucky since no sign of mice so far. The smell is pleasant to us when we get into it in the spring, but dissipates pretty quickly once we open it up for use.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:06 PM   #18

Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
May want to try brass wool or some metal that won't rust.
Well, I could but the trailer is at a fixed site and never moves. It stays dry underneath.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad_jr View Post

We have used peppermint oil and cotton balls in jello pudding cups (or something similar in size) for years. I also have a Wave Pestrepeller plugged in inside. Never had a mouse problem. Not sure about the Wave unit, but I know peppermint oil works because I also use it to keep the little buggers away from our chicken coop.
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:46 PM   #20

BTW, I get pure peppermint oil in 16 oz containers from Piping Rock. Wait until it's on sale and you can get 16 oz for around $38.
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote