Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2014, 11:06 PM   #1

Keeping the beautiful girl clean.

What's the best products for washing down your coach. Should I hand wash with a hose and a brush or use a pressure washer. Just want to keep my coach looking great. Thanks for all your thoughts.

Joe
2015 350 XL

Thanks,
Joe
2015 Georgetown 350XL
Ontario, Canada
tetonpizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:37 PM   #2

Looking forward to the answers here because I just got a quote for $500-600 to wash and wax my Cardinal 5er. I want to learn about the supplies, and process to wash and wax it myself.
kjchipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:07 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

We use a long handled soft bristled brush and a car spray wash nozzle. I use mequiars deep crystal car wash. I will use a buffer with a microfiber pad on it to buff out black streaks. Finish off with mequiars spray on wax. Wipe off with microfiber towels (do not use fabric softener when washing towels). I have bern told wax can fade graphics. Never had that issue with the old tt. I know some will use 303 aerospace protestant on graphics, I have not. It would take me 2 afternoons with 2 people working to get our 30' tt washed/waxed. We did it 2x year. Later on our cheat was wash at blue beacon, compound and wax at home. Cut our time in half for $30. Well worth it.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:07 AM   #4

On our g378xl I normally use a bout a 12pack ,,I enjoy cleaning it using a rv wash and wax com Bo and a soft brush but ours is paint no decals enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
rwehba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #5

I only use real lambswool pads and mitts and I was with baby shampoo. I'm a little anal about my baby.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 08-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #6

As far as washing, everyone will have their own way of doing it and stuff that they use. Any good quality auto car wash will do the job, along with a soft head brush on a telescoping pole to get the high spots.
As far as wax, it personal preference. The info on waxing graphics--- (got the info from a vinal/graphic supplier)--- don't use anything with "carnuba" wax or products containing it on the graphics. Its the carnuba that will eventually dull and damage the vinyl graphics. Use a "wax" thats a synthetic. I use Turtle Wax Ice, both the wax/cleaner and detailer, on the entire body, graphics included. Dosen't last as long as real "wax", but is much easier to apply and remove. Leaves no residue and is safe for everything, even plastics, rubber and vinyl tape/graphics.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #7

Guys I believe the OP owns an RV with full body paint. I do not think any brush on the market will be soft enough not to scratch the clear coat finish.

Brushes are OK for fiberglass gel coat finishes but not for a coach with paint and clear coat.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 08-05-2014, 10:23 PM   #8

Keeping the beautiful girl clean

Well, you will think I'm anal. But like grumpy0374 said, "everyone will have their own way of doing it and stuff that they use". I wash my (2014) 351 and my past 3 motorhomes like it were my car. My washing formula only consist of Meguiar's Car Wash and water which is used an ALL Surfaces. I use an old car wash towel to wash with and all by hand except the roof where I use the telescopic soft brissell brush. I let the roof dry naturally. On the sides, front and back I use the Spotless De-Ionizing Spotless Water System to rinse, as I wash a section at a time. I can't stand water spots. The only way to avoid them is wash it before the sun comes up and yes, I have done that too. I use a portable scaffold (under $200 from Harbor Freight) to get all surfaces above my head. I use good quality towels to dry along with Eagle One WAX As-U-Dry. My rig looks better than the day I picked it up and always will.
CTMDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:07 PM   #9

Thanks for all the replies. Just an FYI you should check with the park before you wash your coach on your site. I may have got a talking to but my baby looks good now. Nothing like a clean coach to help you relax.

Joe
350 Georgetown XL.

Thanks,
Joe
2015 Georgetown 350XL
Ontario, Canada
tetonpizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:16 PM   #10
gspage53

Send a message via Yahoo to gspage53
I wouldn't pressure wash it. I did pressure wash my 351 DS and the paint around the basement doors is on a bead of caulk or rubber and it comes off very easily. Under the dark paint is the base coat of yellow /beige depending on your paint scheme and really shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
gspage53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:35 AM   #11
ME

Black streaks have been my biggest enemy and I found using the $1 store magic erasers works well and does well with bug guts. After that I wash and also keep a bottle of the Plastix nearby to get any stubborn streaks. Then wash, dry, and wax area by area so if interrupted I at least have a portion totally washed cleaned and waxed.