Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #1

Kitchen Cabinets

We are having some issues with the kitchen cabinets. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Is a bit of fading of the varnish and I've tried with doing some restaining. Is this normal wear and tear or caused by environmental issues? We live near the beach so I wonder if this might be due to being close to the beach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0649.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	41170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0650.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	41171   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0651.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	41172  
georgetown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #2

Looks like they need some sanding and re stain/varnished.
It must be that salt air in Florida.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #3

I used a product, a while back and cant remember, that you just rub on the wood and makes them nice again. It was kind of like a water downed stain that you rub, let it sit for a while, and then buff it with a soft cloth. It's an easy alternative to having to sand them and restain them.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Would make it a point to go to the 2014 rally in Goshen and have them replaced for free, based on what happened last year and this year.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Would make it a point to go to the 2014 rally in Goshen and have them replaced for free, based on what happened last year and this year.
I think he has a 2002 model. That can't be from a new model.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I think he has a 2002 model. Not a new Georgetown
Based on what happened this year, that shouldn't have anything to do with it. I think the majority of the units worked on were out of warranty, some by several years.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #7

I have seen that identical problem in a condo on the beach in FL. Salt air for sure.

While Forest River will do all they can to fix problems at the rally, they likely would not have matching doors, etc. available and might not be able to help that problem.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:18 AM   #8

Kitchen Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302 View Post
I have seen that identical problem in a condo on the beach in FL. Salt air for sure.

While Forest River will do all they can to fix problems at the rally, they likely would not have matching doors, etc. available and might not be able to help that problem.

Bill
I live in California near the beach so perhaps it's the salt air in California. It is what I've suspected but wasn't sure if it was a normal problem with living this close.

My RV is a 2007 model, not a 2002 as someone else mentioned. I've had it since new. Since posting this I did sand it down and re-stained and varnished it. It looks much better. I was hoping to do something easier but since it was in the kitchen, I did want to extra protection of a varnish.
georgetown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #9

You might experiment with Danish Oil.
RANGERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:16 AM   #10
Retired on the weekends

I'm a 18 year cabinet maker and wood worker. That is classic water / moisture / humidity damage. The wood used in your cabinet doors shrink and expand with the seasons, temperature, humidity and in your case, salt air. Repeated cycles of this movement has cracked the top-coating on the wood and subsequently flaked off. Is the worst of the doors under your sink? Moisture from washing and cleaning with certain chemicals can also quicken the degradation.

Unfortunately, the damage is done, and there is no perfect solution to fixing it. Anything you put on it now has the possibility to make it look worse. Completely sanding and re-staining might be your best bet. Although if I were you, I'd take one of your doors off the cabinet, and take it to a Sherwin Williams store, or the like, and ask for some stain or color sealer that might look like an acceptable repair to you. Who knows, they may be able to recommend a local person who does this type of restoration.

For those of you who want to protect your cabinetry:

With RV's with all the moisture variables in which we camp, ( seasons, proximity to oceans, bodies of water, showers, cooking, dripping water, pets, must I go on) it would be a good idea to occasionally apply a conditioner such as this :

https://www.formbys.com/products/lemon_oil/

This is my favorite product. I find it works best to apply it to a microfiber rag, and gently wipe on sparingly. Old and dry woodwork could require a second coat. Be careful, as some surfaces in RV's are not real wood. Test in inconspicuous areas.

Good luck, let me know your thoughts, and outcome.

Ryan
The RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #11

Hey Georgetown50 I have used a product call restorafinish. It works great on real wood. May work for this. Just make sure it is real wood. It is like watered down stain and seems to last about a year or so.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:23 AM   #12

Great post, RB! Thanks for the expert advice. We don't have a problem like the original poster, but I will treat our cabinets as you recommend.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #13
Retired on the weekends

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Great post, RB! Thanks for the expert advice. We don't have a problem like the original poster, but I will treat our cabinets as you recommend.
Thanks !

CLICK HERE FOR THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST RV GROUP
The RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #14
Anacortesians

If your GT is similar to our older model, only the cabinet doors are real oak. The visible framework is hemlock or similar softwood with "woodtape" veneer (or something similar) stuck over. The veneer is very thin (maybe 0.010") so it's likely that any spirit based compound will dissolve it away.