Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2014, 04:26 PM   #1

Kitchen Sink Drains into Black Tank

Yiiikes, we just realized that our kitchen sink drains into the black tank instead of the gray. WHY ON EARTH would Forest River do such a thing? We realized it when we were filling the black tank to wash it out. We let it run too long and it was starting to back up. The toilet began to fill up and so did the kitchen sink, with stinky brown water. To be sure, we dumped everything, ran only the kitchen sink then dumped again. Sure enough, the only tank that had water was the black. That explains why we are having to dump the black every other day, even thought there are only 2 of us on board. Very disappointed. Anyone know if this is a factory mistake that the manufacturer will correct?
Wanda50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I think that's an OOPS that Forest River will correct. Have you contacted your dealer?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:16 PM   #3

I would ask for a new RV after that episode.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #4

The sink in my outside kitchen does the same. Not too worried about it actually as the extra water helps flush everything out, if we are at a dry site we just do dishes inside to limit the portable tank trips to just grey water if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
meck51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #5

On our Coachmen Pursuit the bathroom sink goes in the black tank. The kitchen and shower go to the gray tank.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 03:37 PM   #6

Forest River does it on purpose. My Rockwood 2604 mid bathroom drains the sink, shower and toilet all into black water tank. Probably saved them a few cents of extra pvc pipe. Easy to fix, but would be labor intensive to drop/reattach the under cover and do some simple pvc plumbing changes to grey water tank.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #7

I actually like that concept. My gray tank fills up too quick & I could use more liquid in the black tank.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #8

I wouldn't count on Forest River fixing anything. As a matter of FACT, I wouldn't count on FR even replying to an email from you. So has been my personal experience with them. I just had three tires blowout that came on my unit new from the factory with less than 3,000 miles on them and haven't heard a word about what to do about it. Just silence!
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #9

Thanks for the feedback. With regard to Forest River responding, we contacted them several times a month ago about an electrical issue. All we could do was leave messages and FR never returned our calls. I was super disappointed. We did a lot of research before selecting this product. I wonder if their customer service was part of the rating system. Too bad for them, such a disappointment.
Wanda50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:05 PM   #10

I'm surprised to hear so many negative posts regarding FR. I've only had one occasion to deal with them regarding the center cushion used to make the booth dinette into a bed. They were fantastic and sent me a cushion that fit.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:12 PM   #11

Most of the FR components are manufactured by others. The FR website has a complete list of their component manufacturers including phone numbers. Many of them warrant their stuff more than the one year we get from FR. Last winter, after being on the phone for a full day with my dealer regarding my leveling jacks, I called Lippert, talked to a technician and they had my problem solved within a few minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:22 PM   #12

All of my dealings with Forest River have been good. The best was at the FROG International Rally in Elkhart last year. They fixed EVERY problem that I had at no charge. It is a long way off, but they will know what to do there and are very friendly.
Reb Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:57 PM   #13

Forest River has been very good to us as well, fixing several issue under warranty, and replacing the roof after inspection at the International Rally. Roof work was done at the factory service center. Can't say enough about how well we have been treated!
Old 12-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #14
WDK

Hands down if anything is going to overflow I would rather it be my gray tank than my black....I would most certainly get that fixed!
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, drain, tank