Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2014, 02:31 AM   #1

kwikee steps

howdy: I have a 2011 378 xl Georgetown motorhome. I have lci steps that are ready to go.so my question is what is the model number of kwikee steps that are for this mh.i called an rv dealer I use and he said there 1300.00 and 200.00 to install but there are different models of 3 steps.dont want to deal with forest river since they didn't treat me right on my orange hoses that cost me 1800.00.so ill have rv dealer do the work. Thanks Pete
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #2

No surprise there, many don't want to deal with forest river
after the first taste of them. ie
Hoses
steps
furniture that wares out before its time
I'm sure there are many outher things I've left out.

I wonder if Warren Buffett knows about this
jojo bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #3

You should have the dealer call Forest River. If the steps are broken they more than likely will pay for a replacement. Mine broke after 10 months of ownership (2013 377) I asked for a two step model Kwikee.
I couldn't park in front of my house without the step hitting the curb.
nicholsonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #4

We too have a 2011 378XL and our steps broke this past February FR would not fix them but offered to ship us new Kwikee step for about $466.00 total included shipping and replacement magnet item. My husband was able to install and said it was pretty easy. So try this route much cheaper.
we2lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:29 AM   #5

howdy: I understand that steps are 466.00 shipped and I think forest river should pay for completely. Every time I have a problem with things they say take pictures and show all that is wrong them and they say no and move me to other people. They have worked with me on my 5th wheel trailer before. so I will do it on my own. Thanks for the advice. I will never buy another forest river product. I have had 3 of them. Pete
Old 09-11-2014, 06:37 AM   #6

I certainly understand your frustration. We had to have our entire ceiling replaced at purchase (we live 9 hrs from dealer) we took MH home as we had a trip scheduled and then returned it to be replaced, this took time and money but of course it was under warranty. Then we had to have all the orange hydraulic lines replaced several yrs ago thankfully they also covered that.
Last year refrigerator went out our extended warranty covered it. Then our steps broke as I went flying out the door I called several people, sent emails and pics but to no avail "due to the age of our coach".
I was very nice and understood we have an old unit but what I didn't understand was they know there's a problem with this step and they have fixed it for other people that have this old and older of a unit.
I felt they thought they had spent enough on us, although thru the other issues they were nothing but very nice--they also have changed people several times and don't seem to be as efficient returning emails etc --our first issues were thru John Armstrong and he was wonderful.
We love our Georgetown and wouldn't hesitate to buy another FR product. I think all brands have kinks and problems even the highest dollar companies.
we2lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:41 AM   #7

I took my steps off replaced the center pivot bolt and reinstalled in about 1 hour
the pivot bolt is tack welded after installation ,doesn't h manufacture know that is f you put heat on a hardened bolt it loses temper used a #8 bolt and a lock cap nut
I have complete faith in my repair more o that the factory build
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #8

What was the steps doing. That made you replace the center pivot bolt?
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:05 PM   #9

My steps does not want to retract all the way!
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmann55 View Post
What was the steps doing. That made you replace the center pivot bolt?
the bolt was laying on the ground in sams club parking lot and the steps were "blowing in the wind" I place the fault on the tack weld effecting the temper and the fact that it was a shoulder bolt ,now a bolt with bushing
brianj
take us
Old 09-16-2014, 09:24 AM   #11

petey, I worked with Kevin Stratton. He returned my email in about one or two days. I did not demand anything, just asked what Forest River could do to alleviate a dangerous problem and potential liability lawsuit should I or someone else get seriously injured due to the LCI step failure. $357 and $44 shipping wasn't hard to swallow when you look at what the cost of the Kwikee replacements are. Look at your quote in your first post. Send FR a nice email and I bet you save at least half from what the dealer quoted. They really don't have to do anything, but I think they are trying to compromise to us out of warranty years ago. Good Luck.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:37 AM   #12

thanks sherman12: I will try this and its half price. I am sorry do you have Kevin Stratton email.thats a lot better price than the rv dealer gave me. Pete
Old 09-18-2014, 02:45 AM   #13

RV steps

KStratton@forestriverinc.com
mfabijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:03 PM   #14

its been almost 2 years ago that I posted this
AND
NOW THERE IS A RECALL ON OUR STEPS
brianj
take us
Old 04-15-2016, 08:16 AM   #15

Refer to the thread about the step recall recently. One of the members posted a link to the Lippert info and they state that Lippert will pay 200.00 and 1/2 hour labor to the installation of Quikee steps to replce the Lippert steps involved in the recall.
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote