Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2019, 09:01 AM   #1
NXR

Late model ceiling LED lights - Changing to a warmer temp LED?

The ceiling interior lights appear to be a harsh "daylight temperature" LED lamp rather than the normal softer, more yellowish light seen in home light bulbs. This is stamped on the inside rim once you pull one down:

iTC Incorporated
230 E Lakewood Blvd
Holland. MI 49424
RV ILLUMINAIRE VR
www.itc-us.com

P/N 69240PC-15-4KE

The 4KE is the color temperature of 4,000 Kelvins versus the usual 2,700 to 3,000 in home light bulbs.

The stock light appears to be this one: https://www.itc-rv.com/product/4-5-l...-led-overhead/

They seem to be similar to this one although I'm not sure what the "DB" is on the Amazon part number and the Amazon P/N is missing the "PC" part. The Amazon one appears to come apart per the pictures while the ones I have do not seem to. https://www.amazon.com/ITC-69240-15-.../dp/B00ISLQWX2

BTW, they're just held in place with two spring clips. While they're a "snap" to remove, they are not so easy to put back. The two spring clips catch on the styrofoam insulation above the plywood so you need something thin, stiff and wide to push each spring clip inward while pushing up on the light assembly.

Hey, FR, if you're reading this, the 4K lamps appear to be the same price as the 3K lamps. Please consider changing them or offering the 3K's as an option. The lighting inside is harsh at night.

I have twenty six of these thing at $26 a piece if I wanted to change them all. Has anybody changed these lights out? If so, was it worth the price?

Thanks,

Ray
Old 10-27-2019, 03:45 PM   #2

Mine are not round. They are about 3x5
Tncatfanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:52 PM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

I found that installing a dimmer switch was the most cost effective way to reduce the garish cold bright LED's. I think it was 25 bucks?
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:28 PM   #4
Enjoying Life

Dimming is the easy fix but not all LED lights are dimmer compatible. The spec sheet I found on this model does not mention it at all.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:26 PM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

True, but mine is a 2019, and the dimmer works fine.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:54 PM   #6

Check out Ebay. I just looked and they have 2600-3500K ones for $4.95 to $8.95 each.
RCCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:01 PM   #7
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
True, but mine is a 2019, and the dimmer works fine.
Do you have the Precision Plex touchscreen system? At the factory they told us those lights were controlled by the computer even though it's not exposed to the user. The rep said the switch is just a data bus connection. It didn't sound right to me but I never pried one of the switched off the wall to check.

Ray
Old 10-28-2019, 12:50 AM   #8

I replaced the ceiling lights with two-mode LED lights. see 07-25-2019 post below:

I liked them so well, I installed some in the bedroom & bath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
I replaced my original ceiling lights with two-mode lights. I bought the two mode LED lamps from Amazon:
AutoEC LED Dome Light, 2 Color Mode 12V LED RV Ceiling Dome Light Fixture, Interior Replacement Light for RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome, Boat
2 Mode Fashionable Design --- The Dome Light with on-off-on switch, can change the color from pure white to warm white, give you different feel. Warm white light output provides a cozy illuminated environment just like home. I have six installed & control the color mode with a wall switch. It only draws 5 Watts and provides total 1000 lumens of brightness.

My FR3 in White Light.

My FR3 in Warm Light

I have six installed & plan to replace more.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:10 AM   #9
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Do you have the Precision Plex touchscreen system? At the factory they told us those lights were controlled by the computer even though it's not exposed to the user. The rep said the switch is just a data bus connection. It didn't sound right to me but I never pried one of the switched off the wall to check.

Ray
No, wasn't aware you guys had a fancy screen to control lights. I just have a toggle switch panel where I was able to easily install a rotary LED dimmer knob into the circuit. I really loathe some of the fancy high tech stuff used to control basic stuff like lights. Things get overly complicated real fast I imagine.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:39 PM   #10
NXR

Quote:
No, wasn't aware you guys had a fancy screen to control lights. I just have a toggle switch panel where I was able to easily install a rotary LED dimmer knob into the circuit. I really loathe some of the fancy high tech stuff used to control basic stuff like lights. Things get overly complicated real fast I imagine.
The Dynamax series have far, far more fancy capabilities than the Georgetown. We can only control:

The two outside lights
The water pump
The propane portion of the water heater
The tank heaters (which does not work correctly)
The awnings (which is nice)
The slides
The fairly useless 1/3rd-1/3rd-1/3rd and propane tank level indicators
The generator

The capability is there to do a generator autostart with a rise in interior temperature but we just have autostart for a drop in the house battery voltage.

Interior lights, HVAC, electrical load control and monitoring, lots more that we don't have is possible. And I'm not too chuffed about that because I kind of prefer mechanical switches that can be tested and bypassed. Just because you can computerize doesn't mean you should. Complexity kills.

Ray
Old 10-28-2019, 05:49 PM   #11

I can only control basics. Found a couple that I think will match
Tncatfanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
I replaced the ceiling lights with two-mode LED lights. see 07-25-2019 post below:

I liked them so well, I installed some in the bedroom & bath.

Are these still working well for you? I need to order new ceiling LED Lights and these look good but some reviews say they aren’t working well. How have yours been doing? I will be using mainly warm light setting. Thanks
fishinspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinspot View Post
Are these still working well for you? I need to order new ceiling LED Lights and these look good but some reviews say they aren’t working well. How have yours been doing? I will be using mainly warm light setting. Thanks

Still working great after a year. I like the warm but the bright white is good for when you need it.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:02 AM   #14

Excellent. Thanks for the quick reply. I’m going to order several of these lights tomorrow. Also received your PM reply.

Thanks again!
fishinspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:56 PM   #15

2500°-3000° K interior LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
The ceiling interior lights appear to be a harsh "daylight temperature" LED lamp rather than the normal softer, more yellowish light seen in home light bulbs. This is stamped on the inside rim once you pull one down:

iTC Incorporated
230 E Lakewood Blvd
Holland. MI 49424
RV ILLUMINAIRE VR
www.itc-us.com

P/N 69240PC-15-4KE

The 4KE is the color temperature of 4,000 Kelvins versus the usual 2,700 to 3,000 in home light bulbs.

The stock light appears to be this one: https://www.itc-rv.com/product/4-5-l...-led-overhead/

They seem to be similar to this one although I'm not sure what the "DB" is on the Amazon part number and the Amazon P/N is missing the "PC" part. The Amazon one appears to come apart per the pictures while the ones I have do not seem to. https://www.amazon.com/ITC-69240-15-.../dp/B00ISLQWX2

BTW, they're just held in place with two spring clips. While they're a "snap" to remove, they are not so easy to put back. The two spring clips catch on the styrofoam insulation above the plywood so you need something thin, stiff and wide to push each spring clip inward while pushing up on the light assembly.

Hey, FR, if you're reading this, the 4K lamps appear to be the same price as the 3K lamps. Please consider changing them or offering the 3K's as an option. The lighting inside is harsh at night.

I have twenty six of these thing at $26 a piece if I wanted to change them all. Has anybody changed these lights out? If so, was it worth the price?

Thanks,

Ray
I definitely want to replace my 4000+°K interior LED lights with ‘warmer’ color. Ours are round and have an integral push on push off switch and no visible mounting hardware. Are they likely to be ‘snap-in’ and are the ones in this thread similar mounting? Higher temp ‘white’ lights at night interfere with circadian sleep cycles and I don’t use them anywhere except in flashlights 🔦 or torches for you Brits 😁
Sarahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:56 PM   #16

eBay is the best place to find LED replacement bulbs if you want to swap out bright white bulbs with warm light bulbs. On my Georgetown, I put warm light in the lights over the sofa and underneath the kitchen cabinets because those were the lights we used most often. The main center aisle lights I used bright white because it seemed we only used those when looking for something, or putting things away in the rig at home prior to an outing.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:52 AM   #17

Quote:
I’d like to hear more about this “I was able to easily install a rotary LED dimmer knob into the circuit.”. The factory lights are so bright. Will any dimmer switch work?
graua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by graua View Post
I’d like to hear more about this “I was able to easily install a rotary LED dimmer knob into the circuit.”. The factory lights are so bright. Will any dimmer switch work?

By ‘any dimmer switch’, you are referring to typical household dimmers that operate on AC line voltage and if the LED lights being referred to are 12 volt DC, as are in our TT, then the answer is no.
Old 04-25-2020, 04:57 PM   #19

Ok, thanks. I found the additional post that had the correct 12v switch. Thanks for the help.
graua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 03:47 PM   #20

I have questions you might be able to help with please. I purchased the exact same switch and wanted to dim our main lights in our brand new FR 26MK. But here’s where I’m stuck. I got access the back of the electrical panel and pulled first the black wire off the light switch but the main lights stayed on. Then put it back and pulled the white. Same thing. The lights stay on. The only thing these wires appear to do is control the switch. If the wires are on, the switch can turn the lights on & off, but disconnecting the switch makes the lights stay on. I tried temporarily wiring in the switch using black to 12v supply and red & white together on to switch with no effect. What’s up? Where would I connect the dimmer? I have pictures I can add if that would help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16CDE6EE-26A4-423F-960A-10DE278FCC31.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	339.8 KB
ID:	228274   Click image for larger version

Name:	5B1F039C-B7E1-4E11-9B1D-2A87E072DFF5.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	228275   Click image for larger version

Name:	D169FEEF-092B-47F2-B515-1FD1C3F53096.jpg
Views:	45