Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #1

Question LCI Coach Steps

I know there are various threads out on this forum regarding problems with their Georgetown LCI steps breaking. Well mine just did yesterday, the double ball joint assembly that connects the step gear to the arm that moves the steps in and out snapped in half. Almost took a header out of the rig as I went to step down and nothing was holding the steps in place. My question to all is has anyone talked to LCI and asked if they would sell their new aluminum Tread Lite step assembly at a discount to replace their Coach Step brand of forever breaking steps.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #2
WDK

Mine is under warranty, it broke last week on my 2 month 2014 280DS....as a warranty, the dealer said they can only replace the steps with what ever Forest River is offering them.....I am still in the shop as we speak so with all the problems this has caused, I am wondering if I will get a new step or if they will just replace the bolt and perhaps have to bring it back when it snaps again.

WDK
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
I know there are various threads out on this forum regarding problems with their Georgetown LCI steps breaking. Well mine just did yesterday, the double ball joint assembly that connects the step gear to the arm that moves the steps in and out snapped in half. Almost took a header out of the rig as I went to step down and nothing was holding the steps in place. My question to all is has anyone talked to LCI and asked if they would sell their new aluminum Tread Lite step assembly at a discount to replace their Coach Step brand of forever breaking steps.
I would offer no litigation if dealer is permitted to install new Kwikee steps in lieu of the LCI ankle buster. FR has been using Kwikee as replacements anyway.

That happened to me also, more Heart damage than leg!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #4
Retired US Army CW4

After losing one of the bolts on my LCI steps earlier this year and reading all of the horror stories I went to my dealer and asked them to replace the steps with Kwikee. They said they could only repair the broken bolt under warranty, not replace the steps. I called Forest River and they sent me an email directed to the dealer that instructed them to replace the LCI with Kwikee and Forest River would pay for it. The dealer replaced the steps and I haven't had a problem since.
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:32 AM   #5

I'll be installing the double ball joint assembly to my broken steps after work today. Though is doesn't appear to be too complicated, I was thinking if there is a particular install method that is easiest to make sure they are adjusted for proper operation of the steps when the door opens and closes. Has anyone out in Georgetown land installed one themselves and can offer any advice?
Old 06-26-2014, 10:50 AM   #6

Quote:
I'll be installing the double ball joint assembly to my broken steps after work today. Though is doesn't appear to be too complicated, I was thinking if there is a particular install method that is easiest to make sure they are adjusted for proper operation of the steps when the door opens and closes. Has anyone out in Georgetown land installed one themselves and can offer any advice?
Yes I had twice and learned the most important step of assembly is to keep the surfaces of the Hein bolt, its nut and the plate surfaces they bolt through. They must be kept clean and dry otherwise you'll soon be hearing the "grinding" until the bolt shears again. I indexed marked mine to be sure of no rotation. If it loosens or slips the bolt will begin shearing again. The assembly is straight forward will only go together one way. Torque those bolts to the max. Mine lasted long after I did that.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #7

Thanks Vince. A friend of mine suggested I put some grease on the "balls" of the ball joints. I don't think that's a good idea because grease will attract dirt and grit. Not sure though of what you mean by indexed though.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks Vince. A friend of mine suggested I put some grease on the "balls" of the ball joints. I don't think that's a good idea because grease will attract dirt and grit. Not sure though of what you mean by indexed though.
You can lubricate after the bolts are tight. Indexing mark a line across the flats of the nut and include the tip of the stud so you have one line to incude the nut and the stud. Use a light perm marker or a thin white line of marker paint. Later you can glance under there and make sure they are still in line. If the nut rotates, you can tell at a glance.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #9

Got and thanks again Vince!
Old 06-26-2014, 06:33 PM   #10

Mine broke not long after I bought it. I took a tumble in my driveway. My dealer didn't hesitate to replace with Kwikee steps under warranty. Can't believe FR hasn't issued a recall. The LCI,s are a serious safety hazard.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:57 PM   #11

I am on my third LCI steps in a year. Each time they have been replace with LCI steps. Not happy. My dealer acted surprise that LCI steps are giving me trouble. He said they have been having trouble with Kwikee steps only.
I just read a few days ago that Lippert bought out Kwikee.
I guess if you can't beat your competition with a better product then just buy them out and no more worries!
Old 06-27-2014, 07:25 AM   #12

Well with VinceU's suggestions got the double ball joint in with out to much difficulty. Vince was correct that it only goes in one way. Another LCI tale though is they didn't even send the two cap type nuts to tighten the ball joint to the rotating gear and rotating rod. Luckily I had the broken assemble and I could salvage the nuts from them. Just to bust their balls I am going to call LCI and tell them they owe me a refund!
Old 06-27-2014, 08:05 AM   #13

Forgot when I bought the joint, they came "headless " LCI price prob 5 bucks each- cheap!