Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
Happy Member

LCI Steps on GT

I've been reading the mishaps on the LCI steps and how some of you were/weren't able to replace them after the bolt sheared off.

Guess what?, just happened to us on Sunday. After parking our 2013 GT I opened the door and heard this weird "Clunk" noise and there they were swinging back-n-forth. I waited until Monday to call and talked to FR Warranty.
They are sending me a new set of the K- steps....(two weeks though).

Are they difficult/complex to install? or should I just take it to the dealer which takes about 3 weeks to get me in and wants the MH for a full week just to do anything and P...me off.

Any suggestions or experiences swapping the two brands would be appreciatted
2013 FR GT 351DFS
GT4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #2

Hopefully someone that has DIY can point out the differences. My guess is that the mounting bolts will be in different locations. You will also have to identify which wires are which unless the plugs are the same.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
Hopefully someone that has DIY can point out the differences. My guess is that the mounting bolts will be in different locations. You will also have to identify which wires are which unless the plugs are the same.
FR informed me there are some differences (wiring & door magnet) but not too complex. Of course they reccomended an authorized dealer to do the work, allowing them 1 hr of labor so in dealer terms probably 15 minutes.

I can't imagine being that difficult. but like you said, let's wait for the experienced folks that have done it. see what they have to say.
2013 FR GT 351DFS
Old 06-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
WDK

I too heard that familiar clunk this weekend. I spent most of Saturday and part of the day Sunday with my steps extended out, pulled tight and tied to a tree with a very heavy rope. It would not have been so bad for the wife and I as I always carry a step ladder with both of us being kinda height challenged but there is no way my 9 year old English Mastiff can make that leap plus negotiate the two other steps inside.

Does anyone know why this bolt keeps sheering and is there a better design fix in the works or will we replace these steps at this time warranty of course but at some point on out own dime sever times over the next 15 years that we will own it??Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1402418562.373480.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	751.1 KB
ID:	54870
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
WDK

Oh and he is 240 lbs.....
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #6

I'm surprised no one has sued LCI for these steps.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:50 PM   #7

wow! I am glad I have Kwikee steps on mine! what a hassle.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:24 PM   #8
Happy Member

FR told me they are not installing the LCI steps anymore and replacing them as they brake from other MH's....I guess I missed the cutoff - what PITA!

Cool Dog!
2013 FR GT 351DFS
Old 06-10-2014, 02:04 PM   #9

I've got LCI, no problems yet but I am only on my third trip. I got some of those little jacks for the steps - makes them completely stable when they are out. Hoping that will help. Which bolt shears off?
Scagsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scagsdale View Post
I've got LCI, no problems yet but I am only on my third trip. I got some of those little jacks for the steps - makes them completely stable when they are out. Hoping that will help. Which bolt shears off?
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...p-45427-2.html
Old 06-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #11

This is so common I'm surprised no one has gotten hurt. I came close when mine broke. Took a dive onto my concrete driveway. I can't believe there hasn't been a recall.
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:15 PM   #12

Was looking at my molts closely earlier today. Maybe longer bolds, with a Teflon washer added to both sides of the metal washers would help......yes, I know we shouldn't have to re-engineer something we paid thousands of dollars for. Lol.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Was looking at my molts closely earlier today. Maybe longer bolds, with a Teflon washer added to both sides of the metal washers would help......yes, I know we shouldn't have to re-engineer something we paid thousands of dollars for. Lol.

Bolts, not molts. Geez.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #14

I am on my third set of LCI steps. Center bolt broke off the first 2.
I really don't think they will last though because I keep hearing that familiar cluck.
The center bolt is welded on at the nut end. So it can't be replaced. The bolt should have a bracket on the other end to support the bolt on both ends.
Forest River only replacing with LCI. My unit is only 13 months old.
Only time will tell
Old 06-12-2014, 01:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
I am on my third set of LCI steps. Center bolt broke off the first 2.
I really don't think they will last though because I keep hearing that familiar cluck.
The center bolt is welded on at the nut end. So it can't be replaced. The bolt should have a bracket on the other end to support the bolt on both ends.
Forest River only replacing with LCI. My unit is only 13 months old.
Only time will tell

I think you're getting jerked around by someone. When I took mine into the dealer to have my LCI repaired, I was told FR was replacing them with a newer better step, the Kwikee. That's exactly what they did for me and they should for you!!
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:51 PM   #16

I think I was too. When I brought my coach into the local dealer and told him the issue I was having his first response was "Oh, you must have kwikee steps, we have been having problems with them, we replace with Lippert steps".
He was surprised that I was having trouble with LCI steps. When I picked up my coach he told me that Forest River only authorized Lippert steps replacement.
We will see what happens next.
I am hoping not a broken leg.
I have reported this problem to the NHTSA and they started a report last August.
So if anyone wants to report it I recommend it. They need to know.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
I think I was too. When I brought my coach into the local dealer and told him the issue I was having his first response was "Oh, you must have kwikee steps, we have been having problems with them, we replace with Lippert steps".
He was surprised that I was having trouble with LCI steps. When I picked up my coach he told me that Forest River only authorized Lippert steps replacement.
We will see what happens next.
I am hoping not a broken leg.
I have reported this problem to the NHTSA and they started a report last August.
So if anyone wants to report it I recommend it. They need to know.
I think you got it backwards.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:29 PM   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
The magnet has to be changed because the work the reverse.
You will be able to turn of the switch and close the door and the steps will retract.
Forest River replaced mine at the Frog Rally last year.
I am at the FMCA Great Lakes rally and went to a lippert presentation yesterday.
I went up to talk to there presenter after and asked him if they had made any changes to the steps. He then told me they were trying to improve things all the time. I then told him that I had to bolts sheer and that I now have an other brand of steps. He asked do you have a GeorgeTown? And when I said I did he said they are using K... steps on all of them.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:13 PM   #19

News flash! LCI just bought Actuant, which makes Kwikee steps and Power Gear leveling systems. Hmmmmmm.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:18 AM   #20

Quote:
News flash! LCI just bought Actuant, which makes Kwikee steps and Power Gear leveling systems. Hmmmmmm.
yup; if they can't figure out how to build reliable stuff, they will buy out the company that does...lippert will not be denied....they were losing market share i am sure.....

now i hope they don't screw it up....

Front & Rear Roadmaster Sway Bars
Koni Shocks
Front and Rear Sumo Springs Jounce Replacement
willingtonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote