Old 06-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
Happy Member

LCI Steps on GT

I've been reading the mishaps on the LCI steps and how some of you were/weren't able to replace them after the bolt sheared off.

Guess what?, just happened to us on Sunday. After parking our 2013 GT I opened the door and heard this weird "Clunk" noise and there they were swinging back-n-forth. I waited until Monday to call and talked to FR Warranty.
They are sending me a new set of the K- steps....(two weeks though).

Are they difficult/complex to install? or should I just take it to the dealer which takes about 3 weeks to get me in and wants the MH for a full week just to do anything and P...me off.

Any suggestions or experiences swapping the two brands would be appreciatted

2013 FR GT 351DFS
GT4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #2

Hopefully someone that has DIY can point out the differences. My guess is that the mounting bolts will be in different locations. You will also have to identify which wires are which unless the plugs are the same.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
Hopefully someone that has DIY can point out the differences. My guess is that the mounting bolts will be in different locations. You will also have to identify which wires are which unless the plugs are the same.
FR informed me there are some differences (wiring & door magnet) but not too complex. Of course they reccomended an authorized dealer to do the work, allowing them 1 hr of labor so in dealer terms probably 15 minutes.

I can't imagine being that difficult. but like you said, let's wait for the experienced folks that have done it. see what they have to say.
2013 FR GT 351DFS
Old 06-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
WDK

I too heard that familiar clunk this weekend. I spent most of Saturday and part of the day Sunday with my steps extended out, pulled tight and tied to a tree with a very heavy rope. It would not have been so bad for the wife and I as I always carry a step ladder with both of us being kinda height challenged but there is no way my 9 year old English Mastiff can make that leap plus negotiate the two other steps inside.

Does anyone know why this bolt keeps sheering and is there a better design fix in the works or will we replace these steps at this time warranty of course but at some point on out own dime sever times over the next 15 years that we will own it??Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1402418562.373480.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	751.1 KB
ID:	54870
Old 06-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
WDK

Oh and he is 240 lbs.....
Old 06-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #6

I'm surprised no one has sued LCI for these steps.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:50 PM   #7

wow! I am glad I have Kwikee steps on mine! what a hassle.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #8
Happy Member

FR told me they are not installing the LCI steps anymore and replacing them as they brake from other MH's....I guess I missed the cutoff - what PITA!

Cool Dog!
2013 FR GT 351DFS
Old 06-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #9

I've got LCI, no problems yet but I am only on my third trip. I got some of those little jacks for the steps - makes them completely stable when they are out. Hoping that will help. Which bolt shears off?
Old 06-10-2014, 03:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scagsdale View Post
I've got LCI, no problems yet but I am only on my third trip. I got some of those little jacks for the steps - makes them completely stable when they are out. Hoping that will help. Which bolt shears off?
Bolt for Lippert Step