Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #1

Leaking hydraulic line

Just noticed a leak in a hydraulic for my galley slide. The bottom of this couplin was wet along with everything below it. The coupling seems to be tight. This in on a 2 yr old 357qs. Are there any washers or o rings or something else I can check????? Thanks
mr.ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I had one leaking at the threads on a leveler. I was able to relieve the pressure on the line by raising the levelers and removed the hose and wiped the fitting off. I then wrapped the threads with teflon tape, reconnected it and it's never dripped again. I only lost about an ounce or two of hydraulic fluid.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #3

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
I had one leaking at the threads on a leveler. I was able to relieve the pressure on the line by raising the levelers and removed the hose and wiped the fitting off. I then wrapped the threads with teflon tape, reconnected it and it's never dripped again. I only lost about an ounce or two of hydraulic fluid.
Sorry, the threads on hydraulic hose fittings are not intended for any sort of teflon tape or thread sealer. If you cannot get it tight, then you must replace it. They are typically 37-1/2 degree flares and are designed for a good mechanical fit. Making them leak proof. If it leaks, take it apart and inspect it. Even the slightest nick or ding during assembly will cause problems. It is not uncommon for the crimp on the hose end to leak due to improper assembly. Wipe everything off and inspect carefully. If the hose end is bad, get a new hose made up at any hydraulic shop, install it and move on. If the fitting is bad, get a new fitting at any hydraulic shop, install it and move on.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #4

Thanks a bunch for the info. How do I relieve the pressure in the system do I can disassemble it????
Old 03-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.ken View Post
Thanks a bunch for the info. How do I relieve the pressure in the system do I can disassemble it????
I had all of the levelers up and slides in as well. I took a wrench and just loosen the fitting until it was dripping into the pan below. It didn't drip real long. There was no spray from pressure in the lines.
Can you access the fitting with the slide closed? or at least 75% closed?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 03-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #6

I'm sure I could access it to disassemble just don't know how closely I will be able to
See it to inspect it
Old 03-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
Sorry, the threads on hydraulic hose fittings are not intended for any sort of teflon tape or thread sealer. If you cannot get it tight, then you must replace it. They are typically 37-1/2 degree flares and are designed for a good mechanical fit. Making them leak proof. If it leaks, take it apart and inspect it. Even the slightest nick or ding during assembly will cause problems. It is not uncommon for the crimp on the hose end to leak due to improper assembly. Wipe everything off and inspect carefully. If the hose end is bad, get a new hose made up at any hydraulic shop, install it and move on. If the fitting is bad, get a new fitting at any hydraulic shop, install it and move on.
I respecfully disagree with the statement in red .
If the hose fittings are "npt"(national pipe thread) fittings may require tape as it is a "friction fit " and requires tape or paste to correctly tighten .
I agree with your statement in blue "mostly" jic is a straight 37 degree flare and your right does not need thread tape .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Just noticed a leak in a hydraulic for my galley slide. The bottom of this couplin was wet along with everything below it. The coupling seems to be tight. This in on a 2 yr old 357qs. Are there any washers or o rings or something else I can check????? Thanks
it appears that it is jic flare . and the most common problem with this fitting is the female side or the fitting on the hose side had an o-ring crimped behind the nut to allow the nut to turn to tighten without leakage behind fitting.
if the o-ring dry s up it will leak . only proper way to fix it is to take entire hose off and have a new end crimped on or have a new hose made all together.
I personally DO NOT like non wire reinforced hose which you have . I would replace it with two wire hydraulic hose .
I have my own hyd. hose crimper,hose and ends if you need anything let me know.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I respecfully disagree with the statement in red .
If the hose fittings are "npt"(national pipe thread) fittings may require tape as it is a "friction fit " and requires tape or paste to correctly tighten .
I agree with your statement in blue "mostly" jic is a straight 37 degree flare and your right does not need thread tape .
I have never seen a NPT thread fitting to hose. I was talking about the JIC fitting end as I assume was the poster who suggested using teflon tape. Now, I do agree that it is OK to use teflon tape IF a person knows how to properly use it on NPT threads as a lubricant and not in an attempt to seal something that already has a problem with it.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

donn

Name:   nptfitting.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  9.9 KB
Old 03-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #11

37 deg JIC hydraulic fittings

Good read, JICFittings.net In short maybe JIC fittings can be repaired.

"...Other companies are now starting to manufacture, and gain recognition of hydraulic fittings, although their popularity is not of rapid growth as JIC are universal World wide, and therefore there are many compatibility issues with new brands of fitting. Leaking joints on JIC Hydraulic fittings can be eliminated by installing a conical washer between the JIC nose and flare. This is a good solution when we refer to machinery that is stationary, but would not be suitable in circumstances where the JIC fitting is being constantly dismantled and reassembled, for example in the delivery of petroleum to gasoline stations. The installing of a conical washer on the JIC Hydraulic fittings, and then a sealant being applied ensures no leakage from the pipe connection.
Leakage of JIC hydraulic fittings also occurs when insufficient torque is used when installing., and can be just as damaging as over tightening, resulting in leakage of the JIC fitting as well as possible distortion of the piping if being used with great pressure levels. Constant vibration of machinery can also cause stress, and then fatigue to the JLC Hydraulic fitting, eventually causing faults and leakage. This type of damage to the JIC hydraulic fittings can be kept to a minimum by the use of flexible hosing, or mountain the machinery in question on a platform or mounting blocks which in turn receive some of the impact of the vibration."
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:38 AM   #12
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
My leak wasn't at the flared side. It was where the fitting screwed into the leveler itself. 5 years later and it's still not leaking

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 03-31-2012, 05:12 AM   #13

REMOVE TEFLON TAPE FAST!!!!!

Never use teflon tape on hydraulic fittings as the tape can shred on installation and break down in the hydraulic fluid. It then plays hell on your pump, valves and ram seals.

I had an poorly informed mechanic use teflon tape on a new helm installation in one of our boats and after four attempts at draining/flushing the lines ended up replacing the ram, helm and lines. It's very hard to get degraded tape fragments out of a system as then cling to the film of oil left in the lines/fittings. A very expensive lesson I learned once and will not repeat......
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #14

We have a leak in the hydraulic below the drivers side in our 2007 Georgetown. It sounds as if we should be able to fix this if we follow some of your suggestions?
skclay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #15

Ours is leaking at the bottom of the cylinder on the drivers side front leveler. Any suggestions there?
skclay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

see what fitting you have first .
post pics .
Old 05-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #17

This has been idle but I finally got to taking it apart. The threads don't seem damaged but there is a black residue in the fitting that is either some sort of sealant, or a broken down gasket or o ring. Anyone have any idea?? Wondering if I should just clean it out and reassemble or if there should be something there...

Old 05-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #18

After more inspection I found a bad o ring. Now just to find a replacement
Old 05-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #19

Quote:
After more inspection I found a bad o ring. Now just to find a replacement
I have the exact same problem with two of these orange hose connectors. In your picture, I don't see an o-ring. Where is it located?
lochsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #20

In the 90 degree elbow. My guess is it was over tightened at some point