Old 04-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
gspage53

Send a message via Yahoo to gspage53
LED Light Install on 351DS

Just purchased the GT 351DS. The awning is so high, it's difficult to reach w/o ladder. I'm curious if there are LED light strips that can be permanently mounted below the awning where I can just extend the awning and turn on the LED's. I'm a 60 year old man with 6 knee surgeries behind me so ladders and stools are not comfortable. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-06-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

5M Black PCB 5050SMD RGB Waterproof 300Leds Flexible Strip Light 44Key IR Remote | eBay

I bought a set like these and was able to wire them into the 12 volt light circuit in the cabinet where my home theater system is located. I driilled 2 holes, one for the wire and the other for the IR end to peek out to outside. They work great. I only needed to trim one 4 inch piece off so they centered on my 16ft awning. I attached mine to the coach and followed the black paint line. Yours will most likely be different but this is one possible solution. Good luck, Charlie

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #3
gspage53

Thanks! Will check this out when I get home. On my 'shakedown' cruise with the GT.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspage53 View Post
Thanks! Will check this out when I get home. On my 'shakedown' cruise with the GT.
No problem. Enjoy your GT. and be Safe.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #5

Yeah, the awning is pretty much useless and that's why I left it open and a pole ripped it right off. LOL

I bought a set of these that I'll be installing once I get it replaced. Waterproof 5M 300 LEDs 3528 SMD Yellow Flexible Lights Strips 60leds M | eBay

I'm going to tap into the yellow light.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
gspage53

Thanks Al I had to pull the picnic table over to the GT, then climb on top of the table to tighten down the awning screws. We have storms coming in tonight and I'm going after the picnic table to pull it back down. You are right, it's pretty much useless but I'm very interested in the lights. Thanks!
Old 04-06-2014, 06:11 PM   #7

I have to tip toe off of the steps to be able to adjust the front knob. The problem is that even if I tighten it really good it ends up going back by itself. Not happy at all with that awning. Now that I have to have it replaced I'm going to ask for a different option. Maybe one that extends longer and it's able to angle down more.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
I have to tip toe off of the steps to be able to adjust the front knob. The problem is that even if I tighten it really good it ends up going back by itself. Not happy at all with that awning. Now that I have to have it replaced I'm going to ask for a different option. Maybe one that extends longer and it's able to angle down more.

Agree that awning is worthless. I like to have mine out for looks. Doesn't look very good when it's so high. Seems like it would have been so simple to bring it a bit lower.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #9

With the awning pulled all the way down to the stops in the adjustment track and the lock screws tightened the awning isn't that bad. Most times I'll add light weight ratchet straps to each end to tie the awning down with good tent stakes hammered into the ground. Agreed that the awning is pretty useless in the all-up position.
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #10

There is an article about installing LED lights to RV exterior in last month's Motorhome magazine. I ordered one from Amazon but have not installed it yet.

Tags
led, light