Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2018, 04:13 PM   #1

Left side slideout awning unfurls while driving our 369

With a crosswind from the left, the driver's side slide out awning unfurls and flops around while driving. We pulled over and locked the roller with a punch and duct tape and finished the trip with no more issues. Does this happen to anyone else? Is there a ready made lock that can be installed on this awing to keep it rolled up?
campbell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:38 PM   #2

I assume you're talking about a slide topper and if it is an A&E an anti billowing device comes with it and it should have been installed when the topper was installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anti-billow-diagram.jpg
Views:	1101
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	173596  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:30 PM   #3

I have an extra anti billowing device glued (from factory) to roof of RV if you need one.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:59 PM   #4

Attached are pictures of the front & rear of this topper. Is it missing the device you mentioned? If yes, is Forest River supposed to install it before delivery?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180527_193015110.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	173614   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180527_192957362.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	173615  
Old 05-27-2018, 08:28 PM   #5

As said. If that is an A&E slide topper the anti billowing device comes with the topper and is installed as part of the topper installation. There are other slide topper manufacturers but I can only speak to A&E's. My Georgetown slide toppers are A&E. The anti billowing device is one of A&E's selling points.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:33 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

Did you have the dealer install the slide topper or order it with the RV from FR in the build order? If you ordered from FR check your build order. If you bought the RV from the dealers lot and asked them to install the topper then the missing anti-billow arm is on the dealer.

It should be mounted on the forward end of the topper at the narrow part of the end cap. You can get them from amazon, camping world or your dealer.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
As said. If that is an A&E slide topper the anti billowing device comes with the topper and is installed as part of the topper installation. There are other slide topper manufacturers but I can only speak to A&E's. My Georgetown slide toppers are A&E. The anti billowing device is one of A&E's selling points.
I guess I must amend my input to say that in the 2013 installation manual the anti billow stop is ordered separately. However; I have not received (back to 2000) a unit where it had not been installed at the coach factory.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:23 PM   #8

We ordered our 369 from Forest River through a dealership. It looks like the factory forgot to install this device.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:44 PM   #9
Just as confused as you

If you get one be sure to get the piece that attaches to the wall of the camper. That is what the bumper rests against to prevent unfurling. You can see it in the pic on post #2 from bubbles.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:38 AM   #10
RJJ

My winnebago had A&E with the anti billow device, no problems in 12 years. My 2015 Georgetown has a Lippert slide topper. Tore my fabric up for the second time last trip. Either an anti billow device or complete A&E slide topper are going on this time.
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:24 PM   #11

Lippert slide toppers do not have anti billow. Spring tension os supposed to take care of te billowing. ......but it doesn't! I wonder if an A&E anti billow would fit my Lippert.

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:45 PM   #12

My Georgetown is in the shop for the second time for billowing of the main slide Topper.

First time, the dealer increased the tension by one more roll of the topper. Since the topper is to be held in place by the tension, this made sense.

It didn't work. Still have billowing.

Second time, the dealer is adding some stiffer fabric to the topper. Unknown what he means, but I'll be picking up my Georgetown tomorrow. I'll report what he did.

Hopefully the topper no longer billows, and I'm not wild about looking for an opportunity to test it. I try to avoid high wind situations, so maybe the dealer's second fix will work just because I'm successful in avoiding high wind.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonz View Post
Lippert slide toppers do not have anti billow. Spring tension os supposed to take care of te billowing. ......but it doesn't! I wonder if an A&E anti billow would fit my Lippert.
If the installer of the Lippert topper unrolled too much awning material when installing the spring tension won't hold the fabric in while driving.

I installed mine and followed the instructions to the letter. No billowing. When fully extended the roller can't be turned more than 3/4 of a turn before stopping. If improperly installed it could possibly turn several turns when extended.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell11 View Post
With a crosswind from the left, the driver's side slide out awning unfurls and flops around while driving. We pulled over and locked the roller with a punch and duct tape and finished the trip with no more issues. Does this happen to anyone else? Is there a ready made lock that can be installed on this awing to keep it rolled up?

This is a product sold specifically for this problem. http://awninglock.com

I think it is the best product on the market, please check it out and view the videos by Keith Williams Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2350.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	173774Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2351.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	173775Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2334.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	173776
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubanut View Post
This is a product sold specifically for this problem. http://awninglock.com

I think it is the best product on the market, please check it out and view the videos by Keith Williams Attachment 173774Attachment 173775Attachment 173776

Cost is under $50.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:12 PM   #16

Quote:
This is a product sold specifically for this problem. Save Your RV Awning with an RV Awning Travel Lock!

I think it is the best product on the market, please check it out and view the videos by Keith Williams Attachment 173774Attachment 173775Attachment 173776
Just don't forget to unlock before extending the slide.
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:59 PM   #17

Ok, the main slide Topper has thick tape applied to the leading edge. My dealer says they have had best luck with this solution. It is black tape so it doesn't show to the casual observer. It is even hard to see when you know where it is.

The theory is that the tape will make the topper thicker on the leading edge, making it wind tighter.

Seems like a good idea, but the proof is in the wind test.

Next time I'm caught in a strong wind, I'll know and I'll report.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Cost is under $50.

I should have read original post closer, this awning lock is for the main awning not the slide out topper.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:40 PM   #19

FR installed an anti-billow device while we were at the FROG Rally in Goshen this summer and so far it works well.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:54 AM   #20

5/28/18 Original Post:

My Georgetown is in the shop for the second time for billowing of the main slide Topper.

First time, the dealer increased the tension by one more roll of the topper. Since the topper is to be held in place by the tension, this made sense.

It didn't work. Still have billowing.

Second time, the dealer is adding some stiffer fabric to the topper. Unknown what he means, but I'll be picking up my Georgetown tomorrow. I'll report what he did.

Hopefully the topper no longer billows, and I'm not wild about looking for an opportunity to test it. I try to avoid high wind situations, so maybe the dealer's second fix will work just because I'm successful in avoiding high wind.

UPDATE:

I finally had an opportunity to test my dealer's personal 'fix' for a billowing topper. In my last post I said, "the dealer is adding some stiffe fabric to the topper." He said this was his personal fix and that it works.

Two weeks ago I was traveling south through Nebraska and Wyoming (it always blows in Wyoming). I had a strong and occasionally gusty wind from the left (east) that rocked my Georgetown so much I was reduced to 35-45 mph to stay on the road. I experienced absolutely NO unfurling of my long topper.

My actual 'fix' was one more wind of the spring on the topper (which helped a little) followed by a heavy tape added along the leading edge of the topper.

Since I didn't add the tape (and didn't ask) I don't know what kind of tape was used or it's width.

If you'd like actual details of the material used, let me know and I'll try to find out when I visit my dealer next time.

Tags
awning, slide