Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2015, 10:04 PM   #1

Lens Removal Above Couches

Did some searches but didn't find what I was looking for. Has anyone figured out how to remove the flush lens covers on the cabinets above the couches? Not much to grab a hold of, but I tried to twist one thinking it would come off. It didn't and now the whole think twists freely which means I must have broke loose the frame (don't want to twist too much as will eventually break the wire and can't get to the frame from the inside of the cabinet). I need to change a light bulb and will probably change them all to LED if I can get the lens cover off. My rig is a 2008 Georgetown, but assume these style of lights were used on several models and years. Thanks
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:40 AM   #2

If they're the same as in the ceiling hold the bezel and twist the lens counterclockwise. I use a piece of that waffle like non slip shelf liner. I think the whole assembly is held in place via spring clips (the ceilings are). If so it is removed by pulling the assembly straight down. The assembly had to be installed after the bins were made.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:37 AM   #3

Thanks Bubbles. After your post I was able to find (I think) similar lights on-line and they do show two spring clips -- one each side. That makes sense. I'll try pulling the assembly straight down and see if they come down/out without too much effort.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:27 PM   #4

Couldn't get the lens off nor pull the light down to see if the clips would release. Didn't pull real hard tho as didn't want to break anything. Perhaps I need to pry with a big flat blade screwdriver? Has anyone successfully removed the lights and can give me any tips?
Old 04-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #5

Palm the lens and turn to the left(counter clockwise) lens should come off in palm.
we2lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by we2lovecamping View Post
Palm the lens and turn to the left(counter clockwise) lens should come off in palm.

X2
This is the way for the lights mounted under the cabinets above sofa.

The ceiling lights in the soft ceiling has the two clips that hold the whole fixture in place. Lens come off by pushing up carefully and twisting counter clockwise..
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:09 AM   #7

Finally got one of the recessed lights down. Could not get the lens to come off regardless of palming it counter clockwise or clockwise. So pried it down out of the cabinet. Unfortunately, it was held in the hole by 3 prongs that were only "one way" and to get it out, I broke off 2 of the prongs. This light comes out of a 2" hole. Once out, determined you can take the lens off clockwise and was able to remove lens from the other lights but had to get a flathead screwdriver underneath the lens and keep the base from turning while you turn the lens. The bulb is a very small bulb with 2 prongs for plugging in. Doubt they make a LED this small but will check. Can anyone point me to someplace where I can buy a replacement light since I had to break this one to get out?
Old 04-07-2015, 06:40 AM   #8

If there is no manufacturers name on the assembly try FR, with your vin no. for parts. I don't have a good number for them. Bulb sounds like maybe a halogen bulb. Sometimes things just don't go as planned. Sorry for your mishap. There's a replacement out there somewhere and you'll find it.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:12 PM   #9

I've got one of these round bezel / lens light covers over the sofa, that is stuck. And I mean... STUCK! I got all the others off, except for this one. I've been changing all the light bulbs out to LEDs and have failed to be able to access the bulb in this one. Ugh! I've tried rubber gloves and channel locks with a rag. No joy!
Old 04-16-2015, 03:14 PM   #10

My recessed lights don't have much room for a LED bulb. Which ones are you using? My original lights were 10w with a 2 prong plug. I did get one of my lights remove but had to break the base on the process. So was thinking about changing all the fixtures to LED fixtures I saw on Amazon. Six for $41 plus change. They have a 2 inch base that will fit in my holes which are 2 1/4 inch. I hope they have more light.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehghcty View Post
My recessed lights don't have much room for a LED bulb. Which ones are you using? My original lights were 10w with a 2 prong plug. I did get one of my lights remove but had to break the base on the process. So was thinking about changing all the fixtures to LED fixtures I saw on Amazon. Six for $41 plus change. They have a 2 inch base that will fit in my holes which are 2 1/4 inch. I hope they have more light.
This is what I bought and they fit fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Pack-TWO-1-3W-...9236642&sr=1-1
Old 04-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #12

Don't know if you had the same light bases as I have as there really isn't any extra room over the G4 10w Halogen bulb that's in these things. I might give these a try tho since the price is reasonable. Did you get the warm light or cool white light? Did they make more light?
Old 04-17-2015, 05:27 PM   #13

I did warm white for everything, including the 921 overheads. Daylight LEDs are too blue for my taste.

They put out plenty of light. But my main concern is getting rid of the halogen heat and current draw.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:55 PM   #14

Thanks CheckSix. I will try a couple of those LEDs, warm light. I also looking at some Amazon replacement lights ...
"Dream Lighting LED Recessed Ceiling Light 3.5W Silver Pack of 6" ... $41.40.
. May try a combination of these new lights and the LED bulbs you have. I also want to reduce power consumption when on batteries.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:31 PM   #15

I got the lens cover off today. I used one of those non-slip carpet things. I'm now 100% LED on the interior.