Old 06-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #1

Lesson learned with awning and storms!

So last Friday we are at out campsite and I notice a storm south. Sunny skies around our site though. I had my awning out and tied down with a pole on each arm. Solid as a rock....or so I thought. It was obvious that the storm was kicking up around us so I thought I better bring it in just in case. I noticed a neighbors beautiful Prevost had his out and he was no where around. I was thinking about how to bring his in before mine when in an instant the winds took off then the power goes out. I barely saved our awning but had to stand in the driving rain,, lightening and wind for about 30 minutes holding the straps down while the wife drove in the stakes several times as they were working lose. All I could do was watch the Prevost awning get beat to death and finally die. I'm guessing 30-40 MPH straight line winds for about 30 minutes. Once the wind died down I scrambled to release my hold down and bring it in but nothing. My power awning did not work. I thought it was 12 volt and should work with no power. I had to wait for the storm to completely leave the area and I started the gen and the awning came in. Does my automatic awning require electricity? If it should have worked what can I check to see why it was out? The guy with the Prevost came back and I really felt bad for him. The good news is it didn't damage his paint or break a window. We helped him remove it and he strapped it to the top of his RV and took it home to repair it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	34888001_10216740615006337_4174124087569809408_n.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	175452  

Old 06-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #2

People should never leave with their awning out if they leave.. Never ever and we also dont leave it out at night.. It sucks trying to save it in the middle of the night in your underwear..Dont ask how we know!! LOL... And yes our awning goes in and out on power or just battery

Old 06-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #3

Last year camping at our local lake we had a storm come through and tear up a pile of awnings down on the lake front row of RVs. I had put ours in(of course) and our "drinking neighbors" left their whole world exposed... we got a hard rain and stuff got soaking wet. He had a pretty large outdoor kitchen that was left open in the direction of the rain fall... IT WAS SOAKED, but amazingly his awning stayed attached. It was faced away from the lake and I guess protected.
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:29 PM   #4

Iím with rvnut! A few years ago we were camping in Rhode Island. Suddenly a strong wind was picking up an I could see ugly black clouds coming in fast. As I was pulling my awning in all hell broke loose with the wind ( fast & furious). Thankfully got it in in time. Not so lucky for several other rvíers. Some were torn completely off and a couple of others badly damaged. One site had an EZ up 10x10 canopy which was completely pulled & blown up in the air only to land on top of his rigs roof.
Frank DeFeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:34 PM   #5
Pickin' & Campin'

To answer you question... yes... some awnings are in fact 120v.

I can't verify yours but some motorhomes have 120v awnings.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30 '18=21
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #6

My awning is 12v and I had problems early in our ownership. The 12v feed is direct from battery( thru the in/out switch on the wall) via a fuse block. The fuse block got corroded (as they do under the steps) and thus no awning. I took it apart, cleaned it and filled the fuse holder with electronic grease. No more problems for the last 4 years.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 16 days
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:25 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
To answer you question... yes... some awnings are in fact 120v.

I can't verify yours but some motorhomes have 120v awnings.
Never heard of 120v awning motor. I'll google it tho'. No luck with Google, all are 12v.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
So last Friday we are at out campsite and I notice a storm south. Sunny skies around our site though. I had my awning out and tied down with a pole on each arm. Solid as a rock....or so I thought. It was obvious that the storm was kicking up around us so I thought I better bring it in just in case. I noticed a neighbors beautiful Prevost had his out and he was no where around. I was thinking about how to bring his in before mine when in an instant the winds took off then the power goes out. I barely saved our awning but had to stand in the driving rain,, lightening and wind for about 30 minutes holding the straps down while the wife drove in the stakes several times as they were working lose. All I could do was watch the Prevost awning get beat to death and finally die. I'm guessing 30-40 MPH straight line winds for about 30 minutes. Once the wind died down I scrambled to release my hold down and bring it in but nothing. My power awning did not work. I thought it was 12 volt and should work with no power. I had to wait for the storm to completely leave the area and I started the gen and the awning came in. Does my automatic awning require electricity? If it should have worked what can I check to see why it was out? The guy with the Prevost came back and I really felt bad for him. The good news is it didn't damage his paint or break a window. We helped him remove it and he strapped it to the top of his RV and took it home to repair it.
Don't know why your awning didn't retract with the switch because, I believe all GT awnings are fused directly off the battery (same for the steps). Never heard of an RV with a 120 volt awning. Anywho, GT's are 12 volt awnings.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:27 PM   #9
Pickin' & Campin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Never heard of 120v awning motor. I'll google it tho'. No luck with Google, all are 12v.
Here... I Googled it for you...
Carefree Mirage Awnings

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/products/mirage.html

Old 06-11-2018, 08:30 PM   #10
Pickin' & Campin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Don't know why your awning didn't retract with the switch because, I believe all GT awnings are fused directly off the battery (same for the steps). Never heard of an RV with a 120 volt awning. Anywho, GT's are 12 volt awnings.
I'm pretty sure bclemons has mentioned some Dynamax have a 120v awning.

Regardless, see link above. They do exist.

Tags
awning